Ghillie Suit

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

franklarabie

Ghillie Suit

Post by franklarabie »

has anyone tried hunting with a Ghillie Suit?
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

My son uss one and i actually saw from my tree stand , a squirrel climb up and sit on his head. Sometimes he hides and scares the heck out of me when i am still hunting. Hawk He also gets lots of game animals.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Is it hard to walk through the woods with that suite on? Seems like it would catch on everything.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
hawg hunter

Ghillie suit

Post by hawg hunter »

Ghuillie suits are the best camo availiable for the person who sets up at dfferent hunting postions.especially where their is open terrain. these suits do get a little messed up when you are in heavy brush and moving around . I use the one by" Rancho Safari ".I use the hood and coat with camo jeans . Never buy the pants if you hunt where their is low brush or high weeds.they hang up on everything. These suits break up the human out line better than any camo. They can get a bit pricy, but if you hunt deer, turkeys , hogs and varmints you can use the same set up every day if you store hang it outside to let it air out.
Country

Post by Country »

I don't use the Gilly suit. I use the leafy one. The leafy one works so well it should almost be illegal. When people ask me about it I usually say it's horrible. Catches on everything and so forth. I don't want the word to get out where I hunt that this product is that good. I have had deer come right up to me wearing it and I mean three/four feet away. The Gilly probably works as well but it does look like a snagger.
xeon

Post by xeon »

Ive watched a marine sniper make a guilli suit out of chicken wire and hunks of grass. Took a little while to make, but for mid-day, in the middle of a hay field, you couldnt see him. It also wasnt a 'suite' but more of a blanket you would put over your back and legs.
franklarabie

Post by franklarabie »

thanks for the info, i thought they would jam everywhere, im mostly going to hunt in the wood so it's probably a bad idea
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I use the leafy suit also. It does snag and tear but it's not too bad if you are carefull and stay out of briar patches. I think it is better than the guilli suit, because it is probably harder to snag since the leaves only stick out a few inches. I don't think it is as concealing as the guilli but it is good enough for me. I had a song bird fly right into my stomach and drop to the ground once and I had a hawk try to land on my head once also. Deer just look straight through it and never think twice about what they have seen because it does so well at breaking up my outline and turkeys don't see it either unless you move. It is not essental because regular camo works well enough. In most situations it's all you need if you stay still, but I have enjoyed using mine.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

What about shooting a compound bow wearing one? Is it easy to get the bowstring fouled in the material?

Savagevervet
mfh

Post by mfh »

I use the Rancho Safari one as well...by far the best concealment out there shy of making your own. Cabelas used to carry the whole line but now only carry the "light weight" model which is strips of fabric - no burlap. I have the one made with burlap - because it frays it further breaks the outline. Call the owner - great guy and still answers his own phone...he wil give you his thoughts on size, material and application...

I usually am in a tree stand (without a suit) but have had deer within ten feet of me on the ground while in the suit. Problem I always have, is they come in from where they ain't suppose to be coming from...so I can never get a shot. But its still cool to see them that close - looking at you as this blob they can not figure out...

As for shooting a bow - you just trim out what you need to ensure no snags.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I am planning to make a suit for spring turkey season. I have some old flight suits from the air force, I am going to buy some camo burlap type material and sew some of it on the flight suits. I also have an of BDU cap my dog chewed the bill off of. I will also sew some on that. I will post a pic when I am done.