What I think of Fenced Hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

I hunt a section of wood of 40 acres surronded by farm plots.I did QDM on that wood and raise the herd from 5 deers to 80 deers.Does it make it a fenced hunting ground?There is no fences but deers get to stay there due to foods plots, proper management etc.
What do you think?
Taureau noir
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Taureau Noir ...

Well, my prior post wasn't written to you specifically, or to anyone ... just a general observation ... but about your specific question I'd say:

No, your 40 acres isn't a "fenced hunting ground" ... obviously, you have said there's no fence around it, so that's out.

I'd say it's a manipulated or managed hunting ground, in that you have made changes that make it more attractive to deer.

What do I think?

I think that's fine.
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

hunting in a fance and hunting over a food plot you plant are 2 totally different things to me. In a fence, deer have no where to go. A deer makes a choice whether or not to come to your food plot. If they smell you or know you are hunting them then they move on. Its nature and they are truly wild. In a fence, they cant go but so far:-P

I know one thing, hunting over a foodplot doesnt promise that you will harvest a big buck. It might help, but deer always have plenty options of where to eat

I want bigger bucks, so im gonna plant a few plots one year. In Va they dont get the minerals they need to grow those huge racks like in the midwest. Thats why most plant them out here.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

I just can not see any grey area here when it comes to huning inside of a fence. It is not fair chase and never will be fair chase. Every animal that is hunted has a right to seek escape where it sees fit. If that trophy your seeking wants seek refuge on your neighbors property that does not allow hunting or runs over to the next county then so be it. If someone truly feels that high fence operations give an animal fair escape and they have no moral issues with it then go for it. But I will never subscribe to this type of hunting if that is what you want to call it and I will never condone such hunting.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I also notice some shows or adds say no high fences....

what would ya'll think of that? Im guessing that keepspredators out but lets the deer go as they please since they can jump 5-6ft tall fences just about :D
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I have never hunted a high-fence area(this was only my second year hunting anyway) and I don't plan to. I won't support the practice primarily because it is bad PR for hunting in general; and, also I'm not sure about the long-term damage to the genetics of the animals inside the fence. Like a small town where the same three families have intermarried too many times and they start looking like extras from Deliverance; I think deer may encounter some of the same problems over time. I know there was a military base in New York that now has white deer because of isolation and selective harvesting of only brown deer over a period of years. If anyone out there is a wildlife biologist or knows one, I would like to hear their opinion on this.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'd like to introduce a different perspective than is offered in much of what is said about high-fenced operations. Almost everyone who has a lot to say against them draws comparisons between what goes on behind the fences and ordinary free-range hunting ... but I don't think we're talking "apples to apples" here. Talking about high-fenced operations and free-range hunting within a discussion context is an "apples to oranges" comparison ... because they are not the same thing in the first place.

It isn't necessary to insist they aren't "fair chase" according to the rules of ordinary hunting because in most cases high-fenced operations do not offer "ordinary hunting" ... they offer controlled-preserve hunting!

If we're going to talk about such things, let's call a spade a spade ... and let that honest evaluation guide our comments. As commonly referenced, high-fenced preserves are controlled operations that manage a controlled population of animals for trophy potential, and sell controlled hunts with an often controlled result. The odds at play in such an experience have little in common with what we ordinary hunters do on free-range habitat.

Truly, we "pay our money and take our chances" ... they pay theirs and usually collect what they paid for.

Even closely managed unfenced operations offer something that is far different than what is available to the average hunter out there! You don't really think that when Bill Jordan is sitting in some live oak on the Halff Brothers Ranch down in Texas with five 150 class P&Y bucks galloping about in front of him he's sharing the common deer hunting experience, do you? :shock:

Get real. At the end of all the commentary, there's hunting like we do it ... and then there's that, well, that other stuff.
Grizz
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

What do you guys think about hunting Wild Boars in a fenced area, or Bison????

Grey Owl
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

Pigs and cows in fences is farming, not hunting.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

GREY OWL wrote:What do you guys think about hunting Wild Boars in a fenced area, or Bison????

Grey Owl
just killed 12 hogs this morning.. but those are for chops and sausage LOL :D :lol:
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I agree with Big Tiny that fenced hunting does seem to present a very negative aspect of hunting. I still can't stand Jimmy Huston for shooting that druged deer in a fenced area if everyone remembers THAT video.

I doubt though that there would be much inbreeding in a fenced operation. Im certainly not a wildlife biologist yet, but its difficult to know what does have the best genetics. The female offspring of a big buck looks very similar to the female offspring of a average buck assuming they are healthy. So when does are harvested to increase buck to doe ratio, doe genetics don't play a role in the selection. A white doe is very different than a normal doe so selective hunting will increase there numbers. Just my thoughts.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I don't hunt behind fences, and I haven't, but that's not why I'm posting.

My own opinion about high-fenced hunting is that if it's legal, and available to you, and you want to do it, well ... then that's something you can do. As for me, you're not interested in what I think about it anyway.
Yep! Right on it!
"Just an Ole Sinner Saved By Grace"
www.floridaconservation.org/
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

If you would like to see those white deer you can go to senecawhitedeer.org.