O/T Lost in the woods

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Country

O/T Lost in the woods

Post by Country »

Anyone have any tales of being lost out hunting? I seem to run across one or two hunters every year who are lost. They're usually soaked in sweat and have been double timing it for some time. Some are even as much as five miles away from where they started. I always carry a compass with me and will take a bearing if Im going to hunt an unfamiliar area. I'd want a GPS if I hunted flat land in Minn. or some places in Canada. As you all know, people walk in circles. I don't know if this is because one leg is stronger then another or if one leg is longer then another. I'd imagine that most of us know this and try to line up trees or distant land marks to travel in a straight line. Creeks always lead to something but travel on them can be tough as creek bottoms are always filled with thorn bushes and downed trees from the beavers. Heavy snow can also obliderate land marks and was the cause of the one time I got turned around once when I was young.
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

To quote Daniel Boone - I ain't never been lost but I was a mite confused for three days one time.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

My ancestors from the mountains of Eastern Kentucky all had one leg shorter than the other. :wink: That's good for standing on hills ... but bad for walking in flatland.

They were also all "bean-poles" ... long, tall, people ... just like spindly trees reaching for the sun! My grandma used to say that the sun came up over the holler about 10:00 and went down at 2:00!

As for getting lost ... we've got pocosin and cane thickets and pine bogs so thick down here that you're effectively lost once you step inside! You can't see far enough ahead to take a bearing. You can't distinguish one landscape feature from another, 'cause it's all the same ... can't see five feet beyond you in most places. Rough stuff ... and quicksand (quaking land) to boot ... there are places you can break through a floating mat and find yourself up to your neck in a hole with open water below your chest. It's full of mocassins and copperheads and timber rattlers, too ... not to mention the occasional alligator ... but they won't hurt you. So they say, anyway. No one's ever said one did ... maybe they just never came back to say!
Grizz
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Grizz I found out about Ky hunting a few years back when I had walked in about 2 miles and shot a yearling for camp meat. On the way out I figured I'd follow the creek when I seems to get lost and about 2 hors later is was dark. Good thing I had a friend hunting the same woods and we had radios. I was exsalded and feelinglike I was going to have a heart attack when he saw my light. 1st time I have ever been lost not a good feeling. Walking circles.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Well I have a story but am a bit embarrassed to tell it.

I was out hunting the ever elusive whitetail early this past fall. As the light began to fade over the trees a small 6-point buck passed 60 yards behind my tree stand. I watched him circle around me and stop within 15 yards straight ahead of me, I love bow hunting because of how close you have to get, there is definately a connection between me and the deer beging that close. I let the young buck live to see another day, and i lowered my bow, gathered up my gear, and climbed down the tall sugar maple.

It takes me about a half hour to get back home because i don't like to drive anything when I go hunting, I just walk. When I get to the last field to cross I usually get my cell phone and see how my hunting buddies did. This night was no different I called folks to pass the time, but when I reached my house something felt wrong. Its usually a juggling act to talk, walk, and carry everything at the same time, but now it was suprisingly easy. Then it hit me, WHERE IS MY BOW? I left it at the bottom of the tree. I realized this night was going to be longer than I was hoping.

I got lost going back to my stand and only found it by dumb luck. I stopped and looked ahead trying to see anything that looked familar. I took one look back and the ladder was right behind me, and at the base of the tree was my bow. I then took off on the final leg of my journey. I thought I was heading south until i came out of the woods. Across the field was a small patch of woods so i figured i had accidentally gone east. As I crossed the field though, I realized I was crossing soybean stubble when I should be crossing a field of corn stubble. Now I was REALLY confused. After thinking a minute, I thought I must have gone west. I figured I could walk the woodline and come to a corn field next to the one I was supposed to be crossing. At the end of the woods was another soybean field. I said, FINE I just keep following the woods till I get to the right place. It took me two and half hours to do something that should have taken one. I felt like the worst hunter ever. At least now I make sure my bow is in my hands before I leave my stand.

This story has not been told to many people, but this forum has certainly provided good answers to my questions so maybe someone can use my experience and not make the same mistake.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

[quote="Grizzly Adam"]My ancestors from the mountains of Eastern Kentucky all had one leg shorter than the other. :wink: That's good for standing on hills ... but bad for walking in flatland.

quote]

Hey Grizz, you ever hunted in Salt Lick in Bath county? :lol:
Last edited by Rebel Hog on Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Just an Ole Sinner Saved By Grace"
www.floridaconservation.org/
Country

Post by Country »

It's not shameful to get turned around. It happens to just about everybody. I once shot a nice buck and hawled it back to my truck. I took my shotgun and muzzel loader out of the back and laid it on the ground along with my bow to load up the deer. Two hours later I got home with the deer only to realize my gear was still back in the woods where I had laid it after taking it out of the truck. Fortunately it was still there when I got back to the place. There was a lot of money in that pile. Your not the only one who has left stuff.
A.W

Post by A.W »

I was fortunate to hunt an organized camp for a number of years. We had a great crew.

One year one of the guys, Garth, was coming in a day late due to business commitments. This was also the year that we changed the route in because it was easier and faster.

Garth was about 50+ at the time fairly short and stout. He was also diabetic.

Garth had told us that he would park his car at the "Field" as we called it and come in the old route. He had been coming in that way for many years.

He hadn't arrived by the end of that day and we figured he had started in late and was spending the night in the bush. Nobody was too worried. He could have been tied up on business. This was before cell phones.

By lunchtime the next day he still had not arrived at camp. Now we were worried. A couple of us jumped onto 4-wheelers and went looking for him. As we passed each camp we explained that we were missing a man and to keep an eye open for him.

(Later I was surprised how fast the word travels through the bush to other camps.)

Two days later Garth showed up at the camp with a smile on his face and he related what happened.

He parked his car at the "field" and started walking in on the road. (We called it a road but it didn't resemble one.) After about three hours of walking he realized that he was lost.

Unbeknownst to us and him, the ministry had cut a new road and this is what Garth followed.

When he realized he was lost he took a compass bearing and continued on. As it turned out he was more lost than he thought and took the wrong bearing.

He spent the first night in the bush wrapped around his campfire. He only had a daypack with him and no warm winter clothing. He did have one of those bright yellow survival type suits with the shiny aluminium stuff in the inside.

He later showed us this survival suit. The yellow was burned off because he was so close to the campfire trying to stay warm.

When morning came he started walking again but new he was completely lost. He had ran out of food/chocolate bars and his diabetic problem was kicking in. He felt like he wanted to lay down and have a sleep but knew if he did he would die so he kept walking and stumbling.

Eventually he came out at a forrest ranger road and came across a crew that used a converted schoolbus. (they drove the bus in every year)

One of the guys were still in the bus and knew who garth was right away because the word had went round.

This guy made Garth some hot sweet tea and made him some food before driving him back to his car.

Garth spent the night at a motel to regain his energy then came in the following day making sure that he took the correct road.

On his first day of hunting he was sitting on his watch and noticed a deer sticking his head out from behind a tree. He raised his 30-30 and shot it in the head. He hauled the deer to the boat and brought it back to camp.

We were all releived that he was okay.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Country

Post by Country »

I know the stuff your talking about Grizz. Fortunately I don't have any of that stuff where I live or hunt. Dismal Swamp, Va. is kind of like that in that everything looks the same but it's still not as thick as the stuff your talking about. We call that kind of terrain "Shiggy" but I don't know where that term came from. I've never seen a cotton mouth but we have our share of copper heads and rattle snakes. I nearly stepped on a copperhead on a warm day in December this year but he was too cold to strike.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

I dont have any good lost stories yet like the rest of you do, but you all probably have quite a few hunting years on me too! (im only 17 been hunting since about 10). I have been turned arround before but i too always carry a compass. I remember not this past fall but the one before i was on a fly in artchery moose hunt and well i was in the boat with another guy, i was driving (14 foot alum with 6hp yamaha) and we were on our way home in the dark. Well we had decided to check another area for the morning hunt before getting back to camp, and well we got a little turned arround on the lake before making our way back to camp. The only way we did find our way back was by just following the shoreline until one of us recgonized sometihng. You wouldnt believe what you can think you recgonize in the dark. lol. The only lucky thing was it was a fairly small lake and didnt take too long to get back.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Here's another story. Same camp different guy. Humorous though.

When we were up at the camp we always tried to get back before dark.

The camp was situated on the top of a hill on the shore of the lake.

This particular day we sitting in the cabin. All the rifles were under the lean-to and we were settling in for the night. Starting to prepare supper and having a beer.

It was now getting dark and Paul was not back yet. Paul could get turned around sometimes but always got sorted out.

Half hour after dark and ne Paul. I suggested that I go out and fire two spaced shots to give him a location. Waited a while still no Paul. In total I did this three times.

The weather was quite mild and we all discussed the fact that Paul would be spending the night under a tree.

About 8.00pm the cabin door flew open with a bang and in plodded Paul looking a little dishevelled and sweating....This guy is about 6'4" and walks like a fairy elephant.

Everyone looked up at him at the same time and somebody asked, "Where did you get to?"

He replied, " I wish I had my other coat."

We kind of looked at each other in wonder and then I asked why.

Paul replied, "Because that's wher my #$@%^& compass is."

We all had a good laugh and fed him some food and booze. He was the first asleep that night.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I've been "lost" and have been turned around a few times.

Once I was lost while deer hunting. Decided to go way back into the bush, where I had never been before. I had my gps and thought it would be a cinch to get back out!!!! When I was done I turned on my gps and went in the direction it said to go. Walked a ways and checked my gps again. It said I should go in a different direction then I had been going. So I did. Checked my gps again. Said to go in a different direction yet again. I did. Came across my own footprints from where I had started my return. :shock: I started over again. Same thing. Another circle back to where I started. I was exhausted(knee deep snow), had finished all my juice, was sweating, and started to panic. No landmarks, no sun(cloudy). 2 hours of trying to find my way out and I was getting nowhere!!

I then remembered that in the bottom of my first aid kit is a compass. I dug frantically to find it. I did! The lake was west. Go west as the compass says and I'll be fine. Sure enough fifteen minutes later I found shoreline. Followed the shore to my canoe and went back to camp.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

i've heard that the government scrambles gps signals once in a while for security reasons.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Big John

lost

Post by Big John »

What an embarassing thread to start man! :oops:

A couple years go at my place WMU 40, I was Bear Hunting on an old logging trail, heading to a Mountain Ash Tree that they were hitting real heavy, just off the Trail. Well on the way in, I seen a nice Bear walking away from me, very slowly. So, I started a slow crouching stalk toward him. When he was about 80 yds. away, I thought I'd stop and let him have it! Well he moved behind a tree and kept going, he didn't see me, but he knew something was up. Anyway I kept following him not even thinking how far I was going in after him. He never ran but alway's kept walking, then stop, walk, then stop. So I figured next time he stops to look back he is gonna get it. :twisted: So I let him have it alright. 8) He didn't go thirty yds. with a Twelve ga. Sabot 400gr. right in the boiler room. So now I sat to wait a little bit and make sure he is really down for good. However while I'm sitting there I realize I didn't check for any markings or signs to follow back. I could'nt even remember how long I was really following him for. :?: This is when I started to heat up inside a bit. Now, not only do I have a Bear to dress, but I have to find my way out and bring him back. By myself yet! This has never happened to me up there in 15 yrs. or so. Only thing I could think of was find a creek. I knew there is two creeks in there, one was West, and the other East, of where I went in. I never crossed either one so now I knew I had to find one of them and follow the direction of water flow back to the logging trail. Well I gutted the Bear and piled some tree's and Pine bows on him then figured out what I could mark a trail back to him with. Best thing I could think of was my under wear. :oops: So off they go and start cutting strips to use. First I tried west, then thought it was taking to long to get to, so back east I went. I did this twice before realizing something. I could be just look at the sun and see which way was east or west. :idea: Did I ever feel like a dummy. Started markng a trail to the creek, and worked my way back, this journey took a long time I tell you! When I started this venture I was ten minutes from the truck. Anyhow, now it was "Three hours" later. And I still had to go back for the Bear. When I went back in following the Underwear markers and creek, it took only 20 minutes! :oops: Now that is embarassing!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've never been lost before. (Knock on wood)

I've always been good in the bush that way. I can wonder off for miles to find new spots, and easily find my way back. I always carry a compass. Never bothered with any of that GPS stuff.