Another day outdoors "watching the nature channel"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Another day outdoors "watching the nature channel"

Post by R.J. »

The plan was to walk some fence lines this a.m. and take advantage of the mild weather today ... then scout for geese to role in the late season goose opener tomorrow ...

We were going to be 4 men strong today , but Keith couldn't make it ( came down with a last minuet ailment ) ... so the 3 of us headed out at 8:00 am

The Plan was to drop 2 guys in the fence line at one end of the concession walking with shotguns , and 1 guy would drive to the other end and snipe with the rifle ...

Sniper Adams , picks off the first Jack of the morning with his .222

Joe hussles up a fenceline after a long " but successfull " snowshoe push , and grounds a Jack with his Browning Auto 5 and VA's custom heavy # 2 handloads )

Later , I managed to ground a Jack with my full turkey choked Remington 870 SP ... also with VA's heavy # 2 's ...

The last Jack of the day , made the mistake of coming out on the wrong side of the cedar row for him .... I snapped a couple of quick shots ... switched over to my Remington Model 700 BDL and chased him down with 55 grains of Federal HP's ...

Here are some shots of the other misc wildlife we encountered today ...

A cock and hen Pheasant that made it through the season ... they are travelling on the same trail the deer have packed down to a bird feeder ....

A possum that woke up early and was eating apples ... I got a couple of good close ups and one of VA getting some of his own shots ....

The only deer we saw were real spooky and hussled up the fenceline ... I manged to snap 2 quick frames ...

Two cotton tails that " got a pass " because we had the heavy artilery again today !

Back to the truck .... whick doesn't stay clean in this kind of weather .... but that's the way it looks most of the time anyway ! ( mental note ... pick-up new driver side front mud flap ... must have got knocked off when VA was driving ! :lol: :lol: )

Hello Keith ~ ... are you out there ? .... here are a couple that ran to " your side of the fencerow " :lol: :lol: :lol:

To bad you were not there to fill the gap ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the geese .... .... no decent flocks spotted in any area we could hunt .... Kendo Kid called later and we have an appointment with some longnecks , tomorrow afternoon !
Last edited by R.J. on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
CH

Post by CH »

Great pics again rick keep them coming :lol:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

It looks like once again you guys had an awesome day, and took the pictures to prove it. Super stuff R.J.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
northbaydude

Post by northbaydude »

RJ you do an amzing job detailing your hunting days, complete with pictures.....keep them coming..... I am new to this never have hunted so far ....looking for my 1st experience soon..... learning a few things from your stories... i need a group like yours up in North Bay...hopefully
Northbaydude
Looking for hunting groups and/or frineds in North Bay Ontario area
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

RJ

Did you shoot them pictures with your Canon S3? I just love mine all except that now my girlfriend wants one too! Too dang expensive but I guess I have no choice - it's her birthday on Sunday and I don't know anything else that she wants. The zoom is just amazing and I like the anti shake circuitry!

DrDan
BUCKSHOT

Sweeeet!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Awesomolla! 8) 8) :D
Enjoy the Harvest!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks guys ... It sure was a mild day out ! ...

We saw that Possum North of Listowel ... I think the warm thaw woke him up ?

We also saw a Ground Hog along the ditch at another side road but he was down the hole before I could get the camera on him ...

I was shooting my Pentax K100D SLR Digital again , and VA was shooting his Canon S3 IS ...

The bad news from the day ... was , I forgot to load my snowshoes into the truck after one pass ( side tracked putting away camera gear , gun etc. ) ... we were approx 1/2 hr away from that spot when we went to do another fenceline I found out the hard way :oops:

I called back to the farmer and he took a drive down the road but they were gone ! :(

Sooooo ... If any of you hear a " I was driving along the country road and found some snowshoes " story in your travels ... point me in the right direction ... they have sentimental value ..... Thanks
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Charlie Booze

Post by Charlie Booze »

Thanks for the great pics always,Wish I could get out in the feilds and do some hunting, or just watch the wild life,Thanks again. :lol:
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

great pics as usuall RJ
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

R.J., sorry to hear you "lost" your snowshoes. It's amazing how fast items left behind "sprout legs".

Last year I went to Home Depot for some building supplies, to load them in my van, I took out my tool box and put it on a cart. In the loading process I forgot and left it there when I drove off . Ten minutes I realized my gaff, but when I returned, the toolbox was long gone. One of the employee said that he saw the couple next to me load it in their pickup mere seconds after I had driven off. Even though they had security cameras and I reported it to the Police, I ended up losing over $600 in tools. :x :(
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

Great pics. Looks like a lot of fun. Wish Ohio had a huntable hare population.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Great pics!
I'd give the possum the 3-S treatment, though. (shoot-shovel-silence)
I don't like grinners since one decided to raise a family under my home! Not a pleasant smell!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Great pics RJ. Been seeing hundreds of geese and mallards in Welland while at work. The river is right behind my job site and in the morning and evening the sky is full. They know where it's safe :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Wow that Pentax does a nice job! The resolution on that possum face is incrdible.

DrDan
TPM

Post by TPM »

Nice pics! Always nice to have something to take home for the freezer too. Sucks about your snowshoes. Good to see the rabbit numbers up again.