Did you know Black Widow Spider

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

When I was in the navy I was stationed at a weapons test center in the desert for a couple years. The hanger doors were a favorite hangout for black widows. There were warning signs everywhere, and still we had several people bitten every year. Luckily I missed out on that excuse to get out of work! :D We also had plenty of scorpions & rattlesnakes (sidewinders), too! You learned to be very alert and careful about getting into dark (shady) places like the wheelwell of an aircraft.

Dr Dan,
I agree on the snakes. The little ones aren't too bad, though.
Here's one a friend (pet shop owner) asked me to hold while he cleaned the cage:
(I was on my way home from working in a crawlspace all day and was a bit dirty - and the snake had just been fed, so I wasn't too worried)
wabi
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Wabi

That sucker is beautiful but I'd be getting a little nervous if it coiled around the neck!

I don't mind them when they cruising around outside or in a cage. I just don't want one wrapped around me unless I got my Magnum tucked in my waist band.

DrDan
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

South Fl is over run with Burmese Pythons. Here is a 13' that tried to swallow a gator. This has a video also.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9600151/
"Just an Ole Sinner Saved By Grace"
www.floridaconservation.org/
BUCKSHOT

Neat

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Rebel Hog wrote:South Fl is over run with Burmese Pythons. Here is a 13' that tried to swallow a gator. This has a video also.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9600151/
Interesting Story!
Enjoy the Harvest!
hawg hunter

spiders

Post by hawg hunter »

There's a research place here in Texas that is working on farming certain spiders web for a bullet proof flexible suit that covers your body like a long sleeve Tshirt. They are also trying to replicate the web from all sort of things, one of the stranges to me is a very thin extremely flexible material derived from goats milk.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

The black widow is common around these parts as well as the fiddle back or recluse..I was standing on the front porch one eve watchin 3 bucks walking together down the road infront of my house with binoculars. I felt something on my bare foot and I swatted it with my other bare foot as I was very interested in the bucks...I forgot about it for a few minutes then it started itching and when i went inside it was swelling a bit..at first about the size of a number 2 pencil erraser. the a few minutes later a nickle..I went outside and looked on the porch and there was a dead fiddle back..I carry dexamethazone in the cabinet for spider bites snake bites and about any and all insect bites..My wife gave me an injection right in the bite area about 1 cc and 15 minutes later it was gone! nothing! It works as long as you do it in the first 15 minutes or so.. My ole cocker spaniel is one heck of a snake dog. Shes been bit 3 times by copperheads and a little injection right in the blood stream kills the poison fast.....

Its not the first time ive been bit and Im sure not the last they are even in my house here in the woods they are kinda thick..Best thing to do is go around the house at night and shine a flashlight up in the corners..They are night hunters and they can be found pretty easy . In the house set down those sticky traps...They are great for them.. they prowl at night and get stuck on the sticky papper very easy..forget the sprays and pestacides they dont work as well to me...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Hoss wrote:The black widow is common around these parts as well as the fiddle back or recluse..I was standing on the front porch one eve watchin 3 bucks walking together down the road infront of my house with binoculars. I felt something on my bare foot and I swatted it with my other bare foot as I was very interested in the bucks...I forgot about it for a few minutes then it started itching and when i went inside it was swelling a bit..at first about the size of a number 2 pencil erraser. the a few minutes later a nickle..I went outside and looked on the porch and there was a dead fiddle back..I carry dexamethazone in the cabinet for spider bites snake bites and about any and all insect bites..My wife gave me an injection right in the bite area about 1 cc and 15 minutes later it was gone! nothing! It works as long as you do it in the first 15 minutes or so.. My ole cocker spaniel is one heck of a snake dog. Shes been bit 3 times by copperheads and a little injection right in the blood stream kills the poison fast.....

Its not the first time ive been bit and Im sure not the last they are even in my house here in the woods they are kinda thick..Best thing to do is go around the house at night and shine a flashlight up in the corners..They are night hunters and they can be found pretty easy . In the house set down those sticky traps...They are great for them.. they prowl at night and get stuck on the sticky papper very easy..forget the sprays and pestacides they dont work as well to me...
I think the reaction depends on the person also. Some dont seem to show hardly any effects and after a few weeks any sign of the recluse bite is gone. My wife was bit by some type of spider. I think it was the recluse. She had the bullseye sign but it didnt develop into anything major and in a few weeks the bite was gone. That map doesnt show them in Va but they are here. One friend was bowhunting and got into a nest of them. He had 5 bites on his arm and went to the hospital. I believe they cut out the bite areas on him and he was fine. Still, not something to play with :shock:
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yep Im sure thats right farmer....glad your wifes body rejects it..thats a good thang..nasty spider..

But you know whats funny is when I was a pup we use to play FORT build a fort and hid in it play in it sleep in it and we never got bit form what i rememeber..we left it there in the woods every year fixin it back up and hangin out in it smokin swisher sweet cheery cigars until we were sick..never had a spider bite then..go figure...
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Hoss wrote:yep Im sure thats right farmer....glad your wifes body rejects it..thats a good thang..nasty spider..

But you know whats funny is when I was a pup we use to play FORT build a fort and hid in it play in it sleep in it and we never got bit form what i rememeber..we left it there in the woods every year fixin it back up and hangin out in it smokin swisher sweet cheery cigars until we were sick..never had a spider bite then..go figure...
same here... we use to build forts and play war and etc in the woods 24/7. Never had a mishap with any insects. Now im afraid to let my kids go into the woods because of all that could happen. so go figure there LMAO

i know every hunter that leaves their stand sup year to year hates when they first climb up and are face to face with a wasp nest or spier nest in their seat LOL
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, Rage ... that's just plain strange, man. :? :shock:

Hoss: I'd clear out of a fort if you fired up a Swisher too! This Product Contains Non-Tobacco Additives" ... like that grocery-sack wrapper, maybe? What's that about? Pheeeww! :wink:

I was always a Camel filterless man when I smoked ... "American and Turkish Blend" ... yeah, I'll bet! The only Turkey those Camels ever saw was me while I was smoking them! :)

I've been smokeless for 18 years now, and glad of it.

You know, though, you're right. It's funny how we all survived childhood and yet we worry about the kids in our lives!
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

so thats whats in those secret weight loss shakes :D
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

You know Adam those dame cigars where for a good pupose...they made me so sick i never smoked anymore...never...even turned my nose up to cigerattes.......and your right how we made it thru childhood alive is a miricale and now it seems are kids are in so much danger if they did the same things we did back in the day....what a deal...