NOT A GOOD SIGN

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREYWOLF

NOT A GOOD SIGN

Post by GREYWOLF »

:lol: Saw a blown up stryker today (not a pretty sight) ,A guy from CT. stated he did nothing wrong and the bolt exploded on the bow at the time of fire ?? mabey a bad bolt ?? but any way the bow wont be shooting again for a while and after quite a few $$$$ even the limb brackets were bent :lol: I must say $1,500 plus tax and 40 some shots later BAMM!!! I cant see why some things cost so much and dont preform to there hype .
I guess that is why we are here and not some were else GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

I'll just stick to my Excals. :)
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

You hit the nail on the head, trust what works
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
TYE

Post by TYE »

GREYWOLF wrote:You hit the nail on the head, trust what works
Bingo! I just wish shooting a shotgun was as easy as it is to choose a crossbow. Crossbows...EXCALIBUR, bingo. Shotguns... :? Too many and I don't know much about them. lol

I'm still himming and hawing over what I want. :lol:
A.W

Post by A.W »

I bet Stryker doesn't have the after sales service that Excal has.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

Tye,
Remington 870 Wingmaster is the way to go. Solid gun, beautiful action and not too expensive.
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

Maybe I should reword that, there are LOTS of really nice guns out there but in by opinion the 870 is the workhorse. Get a 28" barrel and the remchokes, good for every kind of game. Add a deerslayer barrel if you like (I don't bother with the rifled barrel).

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... master.asp
Adam

Post by Adam »

when you said stryker i thought you were takling about the LAVs built here in london at GM. i have a wingmaster right now that was given to me by my grandpa, its a very nice gun but one i dont want to abuse. im looking into a remington 870 sps supermag, just something with a camo job and chokes, im not really concerned with lager chamber as i have no problem with the 2 3/4. now does anyone know the major difference between the sps supermag and the magnum express?
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Did anyone chrono one of these 425g bolts doing 405fps out of this bow??
Just curious with all of the media hype and advertising.

HH
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

The Express is a lower quality gun; the Express was always less $ than the Wingmaster. A buddy just bought the Express a few weeks ago and I don't like the feel of it at all, very light and tin-can like feeling to it.
I would highly recommend a 3 inch, 3-1/2 is to big.

870 SPS = Special Purpose Synthetic

Tye, what ever gun you buy make sure it will handle 3" shells, better for geese. Oh ya, don't buy any Stryker either (either GM or the bow). :lol:
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

mblaney wrote:Tye,
Remington 870 Wingmaster is the way to go. Solid gun, beautiful action and not too expensive.
im am with oyu on this one and am going to buy one this spring but was wondering if you knew if Remington made 870 express combo in camo bit of a mouthful but any info would be great thanks
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

TYE wrote:
GREYWOLF wrote:You hit the nail on the head, trust what works
Shotguns... :? Too many and I don't know much about them. lol

I'm still himming and hawing over what I want. :lol:
TYE, what are you planning to shoot with a shotgun?
"Just an Ole Sinner Saved By Grace"
www.floridaconservation.org/
hawg hunter

Stricker and shot guns

Post by hawg hunter »

I.m suppose to put one through the chrono this week if it comes into the bow shop. On the lo end of shotguns the 500 Mossberg is a great gun for knocking around under the truck seat. If you want to buy a real shotgun go for the 870 Wingmaster , not the low end models like the express and I don't know all .of their models . Low end models have a lot of plastic or non-metal parts that is why the feel" tinney". the recievers are made of alloy not steel.
TPM

Post by TPM »

If you want to buy a real shotgun go for the 870 Wingmaster , not the low end models like the express and I don't know all .of their models . Low end models have a lot of plastic or non-metal parts that is why the feel" tinney". the recievers are made of alloy not steel.
I agree, the Wingmaster is well worth the extra money. The main differences between the Express and the Wingmaster are the stock (Wingmaster is walnut, Express is either stained birch or more recently a laminated wood), Trigger guard (Wingmaster is all steel, Express is now plastic though for many years they were steel), metal finish (Wingmaster is polished and blued, Express is bead blasted and blued) and the barrel (Wingmaster has a Light Contour barrel, Express barrel is heavier) which does affect handling characteristics. Another problem commonly found on Express models is rough chambers. While this can be fixed rather easily if you end up with a rough chambered gun you can have extraction problems. Also guns with synthetic stocks tend to be barrel heavy especially with the 28" barrel. The synthetic butt stocks are just too light to balance the gun out.
BTW, all 870 recievers regardless of model are made of steel.
xeon

Post by xeon »

If you got the money, id go with a Berreta Xtreama2 or Bennelli M4. Nice looking shotguns, but if your going for a great starting gun, I would go with the Remmington 870.