Exomax-first crossbow impressions-serving wear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GNerol

Exomax-first crossbow impressions-serving wear

Post by GNerol »

I found the time to do a little more target practice with the new Exomax. I really like this bow. The more I shoot it, the better it gets. My only problem with it is it seems to be eating the serving string where it is being held by the action. I have a little over a hundred shots on it so far (Excalibur Dacron string), and the serving string has worn about 1/2 way through. Is this normal? At this rate I don't think I will get 200 shots out of it. I examined the two arms that come down from the top to hold the string cocked and did not see or feel any rough spots. I understand that a 225 lb draw weight is going to put a lot of pressure on the serving string, but this seems to me to be real fast wear. But I am still new so this could be normal. There seems to still be plenty of wax on the serving. The serving is also seperating where the rope cocker arms grab the string. I have been able to keep pulling it together, but this seems unusual to me too. I can see I am going to have to learn to re-serve the strings if they are going to wear out this fast. Or is the whole string wore out when this happens? Thanks for the help guys.

Gnerol
TYE

Post by TYE »

I'm not 100% sure how you mean it, but the claws that hold the string back, will slightly wear against the serving. Like it will indent it a slight bit and maybe rub it a bit. After time, the serving will generally start to spread apart, because, the factory serving doesn't hold up too long. Not for me atleast. So I go get Tim at the shop I used to work at, I get him to reserve my strings with crossbow serving stuff, that's pretty tough, and he serves it much tighter. Which lasts much better for me.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

On my experience Exomax produce his amazing power eating servings! :lol:
My exocet200 is much less hungry.
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
TYE

Post by TYE »

Matthias72 wrote:On my experience Exomax produce his amazing power eating servings! :lol:
My exocet200 is much less hungry.

:lol: :lol: Funny way of putting it.
Steve Craig

Post by Steve Craig »

Mine is doing exactly the same thing. I just got it sighted in real well and shooting 2" groups at 40 yards with 110gr Bear Razorheads. Maybe have 150 shots with mine.
I am getting 3-3 1/2 " groups at 50 yards.
Havent tried any shots from 60 yet.
But the serving is really starting to wear where the claw is holding the string.
Bow is VERY noisy as well.
Exomax...brand new one.
I love it so far, but will have to do something about the noise for shooting coyotes, bobcats, fox and Mtn. lions.
How many shots should I be getting from a string before replacing it?
Steve
www.azpredatorhunts.com
TYE

Post by TYE »

Don't replace the string. Just replace the serving.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The laws of physics state that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words "no pain, no gain". In the case of the Exomax to get the additional speed, premature string wear, not to mention additional stress on the limbs is to to be expected.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Here' s my experience:

I have had three Excaliburs in the last year(two Vixens and a Phoenix). Everyone of them ate serving voraciously. "They" said: "polish the claws or look for a burr". This was done on all three, meticulously. Everyone gets thousands of shots when the string is re-served with "Crossbow serving". I must be the proverbial "red-headed stepchild", because when re-serving with crossbow serving, I'm lucky to get a couple hundred shots.
It was suggested by some to check the claws on my rope-cocker. Only problem here is, I rarely use my rope cocker, prefering to load the bow by hand, which with these particular models, I have no trouble doing. Some suggested that I re-serve with the string twisted, untwisted, partially twisted; wind the serving against the twists, with the twists. I have tried all these things, not much difference, in my experience. You might speculate that I'm not serving tight enough, well, after a number of attempts, I think I've got the tension right. I guess the only way I'd know for sure is to have a "pro" check it.

Here's my solution(which is less than ideal):

After trying a number of different serving materials, I have found the .026 Braided Fast Flight gives me the most shots per serving. Also, after borrowing and trying three different serving jigs, I've chosen the Cavalier, for no other reason than tension seems to be better controlled and the serving seems to last longer when served with this jig.

Lastly, this is in NO WAY advice on what someone should or shouldn't do. It's merely my experience which seems to be the opposite of what I read on this forum. I can't imagine how quickly an Exomax would "eat" serving, taking my experience with Vixens and Phoenix into account. Anyway, that' s my story.

Regards
Joe
Bucktail

Servings

Post by Bucktail »

Dan Miller in Ohio told me not to wax the center serving at all.

I have been following his advice and have no problems with wear or serving seperating. Well over 500+ shots and it's still doing fine.

Bucktail
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

I think the theory behind waxing the serving is to get the wax onto the rail evenly.

if you try to wax the rail by hand... it gets everywhere. but if you wax the serving, after a few shots, the rail is nicely lubricated.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

In my experience with 3 different Excaliburs (Vixen, Exocet, & Phoenix) they all show wear from the claws very quickly. The serving flattens where the claws contact it and probably looks a lot worse than it really is. Since I build my own strings I don't really pay much attention to the number of shots I get, I just re-serve or replace the string when it looks bad. If the serving is separating where the claws (or hooks from the cocker) is grabbing it there is a good possibility it is loosely wound, or wound in the wrong direction and loosening as the string is twisted to adjust it. I noticed on a new Excalibur factory string it was shipped with no twist in it. If this is what you got, be sure you twist it in a direction to tighten the serving. Think of the serving as a spring like is in a ball-point pen. Twist the spring one way and it compresses and gets tighter - twist it the other and it expands and is soon ruined. Look at the serving, then twist the string so it causes the serving to compress and get tighter if it is a new endless loop string and has no twist in it. If it is a flemish twist it can only be twisted in one direction, and if the serving is wound in the wrong direction about the only cure is to re-serve or replace the string. :wink:
wabi
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Wabi

By tightening the serving and compressing it, are you not also decreasing the diameter of the serving area?

Here's my thoughts, and I can in no way prove this empirically.

It's my understanding that the limbs for all current Excalibur bows are the same. The main difference as far as performance is concerned is the length of the rail, or power stroke. Therefore, the angle of the string at the claws, when the string is cocked becomes more acute as the length of rail, or power stroke increases. Therefore, there would be more chance for the serving to separate. Imagine taking a spring, and holding the end of the spring in each hand bending it, the more you bend the two ends together, the more the coils at the outside of the bend separate, just like the serving area held by the claws. This may account, in part, for why Exomax owners have more serving problems than Vixen owners. To counter this, it seems to me you would want a thinner, flatter laying serving, of substanial strength, than the thick crossbow type serving. As the bend at the claws increases there would be less separation of the coils, just as if you added more coils and made them flatter to our spring in the above expample. When you would bend the spring now, you should notice as much separation of the coils, as before. I think this may be over-simplified and I'm missing something, because
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have tried this . . .taken a thin serving material, .018 black diamond I believe(I'm guessing because the material was given to me), and wrapped it twice. I have only shot about 50 shots thus far, however, it's holding up very well. Much better than my other servings.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Steve Craig

Post by Steve Craig »

Thank you guys,
I really appreciate the info and advice.
This is a great site.
Steve
www.azpredatorhunts.com
wabi

Post by wabi »

pokynojoe wrote:Wabi

By tightening the serving and compressing it, are you not also decreasing the diameter of the serving area?

Here's my thoughts, and I can in no way prove this empirically.

It's my understanding that the limbs for all current Excalibur bows are the same. The main difference as far as performance is concerned is the length of the rail, or power stroke. Therefore, the angle of the string at the claws, when the string is cocked becomes more acute as the length of rail, or power stroke increases. Therefore, there would be more chance for the serving to separate. Imagine taking a spring, and holding the end of the spring in each hand bending it, the more you bend the two ends together, the more the coils at the outside of the bend separate, just like the serving area held by the claws. This may account, in part, for why Exomax owners have more serving problems than Vixen owners. To counter this, it seems to me you would want a thinner, flatter laying serving, of substanial strength, than the thick crossbow type serving. As the bend at the claws increases there would be less separation of the coils, just as if you added more coils and made them flatter to our spring in the above expample. When you would bend the spring now, you should notice as much separation of the coils, as before. I think this may be over-simplified and I'm missing something, because
Your description sounds like a good one. The smaller diameter serving may have an advantage. One thing to consider is that the smaller serving will also decrease the overall diameter of the string where it contacts the butt of the arrow. I'm not sure what a minimum diameter would be for good arrow flight, but I would use caution in reducing the diameter.
I have tried other servings but it seems each has it's own problems. The fastflight type seperated badly for me as it didn't seem to grip the string. Brownell's "diamondback" did fairly well. Brownell's nylon doesn't wear as well, but really grips the string (I use it for my end loop serving on endless loop strings). I noticed they now offer Brownell's "Diamondback" in a .030 diameter where I buy my materials from. I may try it this summer.
BTW - changing serving diameter did change point of aim for me! A slight vertical sight adjustment may be necessary if you change diameters!
wabi