Ohio Deer Expo & the Amish Buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Ohio Deer Expo & the Amish Buck

Post by Mike P »

We had a great time at the Ohio Deer & Turkey Expo this past weekend. We saw several Excalibur’s but none of the new models. There were hundreds of fantastic Ohio bucks entered this year, and of course the Amish Buck was included in these numbers. The bucks on display only reinforced what I and now most of the whitetail hunters around the country know. Ohio is no longer a secret for huge whitetail bucks. Most of the small bucks entered were in the 150 point range and it just went up from there. If I had to guess an average for all bucks, it would probably be in the 170 point range.

The amount of Ohio outfitters has grown by staggering numbers. I didn’t even bother to count how many booths outfitters occupied at the show. I had a long conversation at the Ohio Dept. of Wildlife booth with several officers and they did voice concern about the influx of non-resident hunters and the challenges this influx will bring. It also looks like the new doe limits discussed in another thread appear to be well on their way to passage and that was great news.

There were several new and innovative products at the show. One that particularly caught my eye was a device that hooked on to that back of your ATV and utilized a trailer tongue jack to raise and lower a platform that allowed you to load a 300 lb. buck without breaking your back. However, at a price of over $500 American dollars, you save your back and break you wallet. There was another booth that marketed crossbow quiver mounts similar to groundpounders design and they retailed for $30.00 American. They did not feature any that would fit Excalibur’s but have plans to incorporate our favorite crossbows in the future. I spoke with the owner of the company and he was aware of the groundpounder mount. I own a groundpounder mount and adapted it with the help of Todd to my old exocet and believe it to be superior in quality to the one shown at the show. But at thirty bucks, the one at the show was a good deal for any that own Horton’s, Ten Points, etc. etc.

I have attached a picture of Doc with the Amish Buck. Some of you may know Doc from my story about the king. I think you will agree with me, Doc is just the way that a family doctor should look, how could you not trust this guy with your health. He may not be the best deer hunter in the woods, but I wouldn’t trade my hunting partner for any of the big name guys on all the hunting shows.

And last, I know I have not finished the last chapter of the King & I. I have just been swamped as of late with business issues. This shouldn’t happen to a guy who is retired but people keep coming to me for help with their businesses looking for ways to stimulate and increase their sales and I am just a sucker and have a hard time saying no.

I will try and finish the story about the king if there is any interest.

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

More pics of the Amish Buck..

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Thanks Woody. Did you notice that this buck looked “goofy eyed”? Your top picture shows it pretty good. The taxidermist should be flogged! Way too much white in the eyes, looks like he is looking in different directions with his right and left eye. There were lots of us standing around in front of the buck and everyone was commenting that his eyes looked “goofy”.
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

Mike P wrote:Thanks Woody. Did you notice that this buck looked “goofy eyed”? Your top picture shows it pretty good.
He's got eyes? Let me look at it again.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Eyes.. that was the second thing I noticed..

They look cockeyed and half closed.

My guess the first taxidermist that called and volunteered to do it for free got the job.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

i was unimpressed by the deer there. Certainly the Amish buck was a big one but i expected more. Id heard there were more big bucks shot in Ohio this year, there didn't seem to be what i expected at the expo. Lots of 160-170 class bucks, which are big but i think Ohio produces more trophy deer than represented at the expo, just my feelings. I was impressed with Sandusky County, where numerous 190+ bucks were on display.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot