Need advice from all members!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mostlybow

Post by mostlybow »

I agree with groundpounder I would post the property line first right in front of the stand. You might be surprised and it takes care of the problem. If not do a face to face and tell him no harm no foul about the past but its your land and your going to be hunting it. If you dont think a face to face will work you could contact DNR. Just because they havent caught him dragging a deer off of your land they would probably still address it. If the shooting lanes are clearly on your property they should address it with the guy and that might be all it takes. If he gets an attitude with them they might take it personal and give him a little extra attention. The face to face is gonna be yur call. I would probably try it first to try and be a good neighbor. If it dont work, he aint a good neighbor and he deserves everything he gets from the law.
hawg hunter

deer blinds

Post by hawg hunter »

Deer blinds on property lines have always been a problem. Here in Texas you must have at least 10 acres to hunt. That can present lots of problems. our wildlfe departmnt passed a law that a deer blind must be 100yds from a neighboring fence. If the hunter does not move the blind after being contacted he ,she or they meaning everyone on the lease can be fined not knowing who the blind belongs to. alot of times lightening strikes troubling blinds.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I would just be upfront and tell him you have found "his spot" and ask him how he hunts it because you are wanting to hunt the deer funnel. Most likely he will give it up, knowing he has no legal right shooting into your land. Plus, if you are going to be hunting there, it would certainly hinder his ability to get a trophy. Just tell him now so he has plenty of time to set up a new blind in a new spot. If he is willing to "fight" for that spot, then I would give it to him. You obviously have other great spots and a new one isn't worth fighting for, especially when guns are involved. Most people are good folks when given the chance. If that's not the case, then get the Game Warden out there and get their advice. I would think building a fence, blind, posting . . .that would just be viewed as a smart a$$ thing to do and probably just piss the guy off.

Good Luck.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Country

Post by Country »

I've been having the same problem with my farm. Three of my neighbors have built a total of six tree stands over looking my fields, bedding area, and travel lanes. They have no respect for my property rights at all. I even caught several them cutting white oak on my land for fire wood. They all seem to have that F U mentality. I've considered trying to plant arbivita ($35 per tree) on my property line to try and screen my place off with trees but I know they will just cut them down or spray them with a devoliant. If I just go and patrol my property I have the potential to push my deer to them inadvertently and if Im really good at keeping them off they just send dogs in to run everything out. Im really beginning to get fed up and am considering the idea of shooting dogs if I catch them running deer on my land. Deer hunting with dogs is illeagal in my county and I have the right to shoot them. You can see where all this might lead. I stay armed at all times. Ah, Life in the country!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Tigerpaw ...

If indeed it is your neighbor, and he's been doing wrong by illegally hunting your land, then you must do right, and the right thing to do is to challenge the property-rights abuse. If you do not confront such an issue, your troubles will increase. Unconfronted property-rights abuses are like cancer; if nothing is done, they grow out of control.

When acting within what is right, remember that your own polite, respectful and gracious behavior is a powerful weapon against wrong. Sometimes, by showing mercy and generosity, you can make a friend out of a property-rights abuser, and help them correct their wrong behavior.

Some will resist your challenge, but when you can't make a friend, you gain the opportunity to show a property-rights abuser that not everybody allows themselves to be abused. This demonstration is critical to the well-being of society. Allowing abuses to go unchallenged only adds to the world's problems. Silence is sanction, and inaction is approval.

Challenging what is wrong is doing what is right. Don't allow wrong behavior to prevail. Do what you can to stop it. Those who do wrong and will not cease and reform must be shown that there are people in the world who will not let it go unaddressed.

Go see your neighbor. Be everything you'd like him to be when you do.

Stand for what's right.
Stand against what's wong.
Turn those who are wrong to the right, if you can.
Teach those who will not turn that you will not be abused.

Rules to live by.
Grizz
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

You mentioned that the blind has been there for a long time. Are you sure this person knows its on your land? You mentioned that it is with in 5ft of the property line. What happens when you shoot a deer and it ends up on his property?

I'd be far more likely to work out some kind of deal with him.
Country

Post by Country »

The laws in my state allow you to go onto private property to retrieve game as long as you don't carry a weapon with you. If your trailing a wounded deer with your firearm then you need to get the property owners permission.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Tigerpaw . . .you seem to have more than your fair share of trouble. Are you really wanting to hunt a new funnel or are you just mad because you think your neighbor is shooting into your land? Bottomline here is that you have absolutely no proof (that's been disclosed) that your neighbor isn't hunting within the law. You need to discuss his intentions for hunting this blind with him and let him know you are concerned for your safety and his because you were considering hunting the funnel. You could stake out the place next season and catch him in the act . . .then you have a confrontation with a man that's bearing arms, those situations don't usually end on a good note. Invite him over for dinner one night and discuss hunting and the possibilities of working more as a team. If all negotiations fail, then seek out help from the proper authorities.

Remember . . .you are suppose to love thy neighbor.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Country

Post by Country »

Many of you are too darn nice which is one of the reasons I like to chat with you all. Some of you want to extend this neighbor the benifit of the doubt. He knows exactly what he is doing and he needs to know that it is not acceptable. Leave him a note in a zip lock sandwhich bag stating that you are a hunter also and you won't shoot any deer on his property and you expect him to not shoot any deer on yours. Be blunt about it but not threatening.
The trouble I am having with my neighbors I probably caused myself. They used to have excellent hunting on their places. Now they complain about not seeing a single deer the entire season. Some think they just died off and others know the exact reason. They have no deer now because I plant food plots. I have every deer for five miles around sitting on my farm. They could plant also but are too lazy to do so or don't understand the benifits of planting for wildlife. I grow deer as any rancher would grow cattle.
A.W

Post by A.W »

It could also be that your neighbour doesn't know tha stand is there. Could be an outsider. Communication is the key issue I think.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That's very true A.W.

Reminds me . . .I was squirrel hunting a few years ago and found a nice tree stand. It's on one edge of our property, 25 yards or so to the line fence. Anyway, I asked around and no one claimed the stand. To this day, the stand remains in that tree. I've never seen anyone in it. It's an older model stand and looks heavy . . .I guess whoever put it up there decided it was too much trouble to take it down.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Confront the issue diplomatically. If there is no other way that the stand can be used except to shoot onto your property, point that out. Be firm that the stand must come down. If he refuses, go to phase two.

Call in the game warden to talk to him and explain that he is violating your property rights if he shoots game on your property, and also probably, violating game laws by so doing. If the stand remains, go to phase three.

See if you can divert the deer travel away from the stand. However, that needs to be done subtly, or he may retaliate the same way, and the deer will be forced to relocate to a whole new area.

Make up a dummy trail camera and install it in an obvious manner. Tell him his stand will be permanently monitored. If your dummy camera gets damaged, repair it and set up a real trail camera, well hidden, to monitor the area.

Phase four is when your trail camera shows someone damaging the dummy, and that's when the police get involved.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Tigerpaw,

Please keep us updated on this issue. Let us know what approach you took and what the results are.

Someone may be able to use your experience.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Allan wrote:Tigerpaw,

Please keep us updated on this issue. Let us know what approach you took and what the results are.

Someone may be able to use your experience.
Will do, and thank you all for the advice.
M&M

Post by M&M »

Is it possible that he just really doesn't know where the property lines are? If they are well marked i would talk to him it might not even be his stand could be someone pouching both of your property and you could do both of you a favor by discussing it and mabe even make a friend in the process. M&M