Hunting knives...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Hunting knives...

Post by TPM »

I have to admit that I've always been a bit of a hunting knife addict. Last year I sold a bunch off as they where starting to pile up and to be honest a lot of them never got used. I still have a few more than I should but below is a picture of five of my favourites, ones that actually see field use and I'll never part with.
The top one is a Shrade Sharpfinger. Bought it to use as a small knife for camping but it turned out to be a rather nice skinning knife.

Next is a Cutco. A relative was selling Cutco years ago and I bought it off her as much to support her efforts as anything. The orange rubber handle isn't exactly heirloom classic material but I tell ya this one heck of a practical knife. The rubber handle is very nicely shaped and grippy even when wet. The blade shape is nice and it holds an edge forever! The first year I had this knife I took it up to camp and that season it skinned two moose, at least three deer and was used to butcher several deer and I swear after all that it was still as sharp as new. I think I only paid around $40 for it then.

Next is a Grohmann D.H. Russell #1s. Classic Canadian knife. I bought it years ago on a rainy day trip to a gunshop that used to be just south of Huntsville on HWY 11. I always thought these knifes looked kind of funny and was never really interested in them until I actually handled one. I've been in love ever since. Extremely well thought out design, very nice handling. I use it as a general camp knife.

Next is a Buck 118. I've always had a soft spot for the phenolic handled Buck's. This is a nice small game knife. I use it a lot for breasting out geese.

The last knife in the picture is a Remington. One of the dogs we fostered for a recue organization ended up being adopted out to a wonderful couple in Whitby. He was a hunter in his younger years but is no longer active in it. A couple of weeks after they adopted the dog we ran into them at a fundraiser. This gentleman had this knife which was given to him in a gift exchange and had never been used. It was still new in the box and he wanted me to have it for all we did for their dog. It's an awesome big game knife and it does pretty much all of my field dressing work on deer these days. Beautiful weight and balance and unsurpassed edge retention. BTW, The dog they adopted was named Murphy and this knife has always been refered as "The Murphy Knife".

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
KNIGHTS OF NI

Post by KNIGHTS OF NI »

This is my new favourite knife I picked it up at the recent LeBaron no tax sale. I was recommended to me by a helpful salesman at the Markham store!
I was planning to get another ColdSteel knife till I saw this one.
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=42
For butchering deer I use a Henckles boning knife.
Regards
Knights of Ni
MADMAX2

Knifes

Post by MADMAX2 »

My favorite knife was a bowie, that my uncle gave me I lost it a few years back I would lie to find another one
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

I like my Rapala knife.

It's got a nice grip, it's a nice size, and decent weight.... not that expensive either.

[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
M&M

Post by M&M »

I have several buck knives, some gerbers and a crkt that has been everywhere with me. I really like the buck knives, they are of great quality and they back their products very well. I have a buck 110 that I bought about 1984 or so, well I basically wore the blade out by improper sharpening and I was going to buy a new knife but I thought I'd call buck and ask them if they could put a new blade in it for me, they said sure send us the knife and a check for nine dollars with a letter telling them what it needed and they'd fix it. so I did just that and two weeks to the day that I sent it out I got my knife back and it looked just like new, and get this.... they sent me my check back and said they fixed it under warrenty!!! and I told them it was my fault for the condition it was in, so I figure if they continue to back they're products like that I will continue to use them and recomend them also. I now do all my knife sharpening with a gatco knife sharpening set and have wonderful results. M&M
TPM

Post by TPM »

bstout - That ulu is a cool knife. Originally patterned after the ulu's used by the eskimos they're probably used as much in the home as in the field these days. They make awesome food preperation knives too.

KNIGHTS OF NI - I didn't realize that Spyderco was making fixed blade knifes now. Cool to see flat ground blades making a comeback with a lot of makers. I have a couple of folders, a Delica and an Endura, that I've had for years. Both excellent knives for the money.

RAGE_A_HOLIC - I had one of those Rapala's. Very nice knife for the price. They use a good steel in those things. I had sold it last year on E-Bay but the buyer screwed me around and never paid. Never got his knife either. I ended up donating it to a fundraiser at our club.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
saxman

Post by saxman »

I am a nut for knives as well.
These two pictures represent only a small portion of my collection.

These are some of my hunting knives

This is a new custom knife from Skyblade of Montana.
It was a gift
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
TPM

Post by TPM »

Nice collection Saxman! I have a Camillus folder like the one you have in the bottom right corner of your picture. I've had it for about twenty years and it's a favourite pocket knife. The Canadian military was issuing them back in the eightie's. I've also got one of those Outdoor Edge skinners but mine is the larger model. The Skyblade is absolutely gorgeous! Somebody must like you. :D

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
XtremHunter

Re: Hunting knives...

Post by XtremHunter »

Great set all!

I like Marble knives they perfectly fit for me.
Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter.
hunting knife
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

I also am a knife nut. My favorite the buck, hard as hell to sharpen but keeps its edge. On a guiding trip you can imaging my surprise when the guide and his helpers all wiped out excacto knifes(box cutters) to skin the animal. As sharp as my buck is or any knife out there, its hard to beat the sharpness of a box cutter, when its dull, break off a piece and presto, razor sharp again. I felt a little sheepish :oops: But my knife did look nicer than theirs. :twisted:
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I use the one on the far left, a gift from my dad. The double sheath Buck knives on the far right were my grandfathers. I think they are from the 40's or 50's. Gary