Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Post by Boo »

lisa wrote:thank you rebel hog
and tar heel,

it´s a very good and helpful explanation how to make the center serving,
but what i´m still asking myself is if and how i could
do the servin for the end loop by myself,
or if i better should make a flemish string with dacron ( think no protecting serving for the tip part of the string is needed there - am i right?)

could you tell me which type of string would be the easiest to make for me?- with which one should a beginner start?

lisa

ps. have not noticed any anything rough on the claws - think theyre ok!
first string lasted approx 250 to 300 shots before first filament broke
continued shooting from then on until ca 10 filaments broke. then changed the string for my second which lasted only 40 shots until first filament broke - dont know why so soon.......
Endless loop strings are easy to make but so are flemish strings. Endless are just plain faster to make.
Crown serving is probably the most durable serving and is available from Brownell in .018". Another durable serving method is by serving the loop with .015 mini serving from Brownell.
I started with a flemish string because the jig was easier to make. The endless loop jig is much more complicated. Here is a site with instructions on how to make a 3 arm endless string jig. http://www.rfd.cc/endless/ejig.html
Here is a site that with instructions on how to make a flemish string jig. http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/featur ... tring.html
The most durable string from an abrasion resistant view is the fast flight. If you reserve yourself and do it properly your serving will last longer. If you notice some serving separation you just have to push the serving apart and tie some serving material in the opening and that will make your serving last longer. Again you will not run into that if you learn to reserve properly.
The strings that you buy have servings that are just not good enough for what we demand so if you see any defect in the serving cut it off and reserve and you'll have saved your string. Serving failure usually starts with separation which leads to string failure.
Your loops will last longer if you wax them.
Use the 1/4 lb spools, the are easier to handle when laying out your bundles of string.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
lisa

Post by lisa »

got my string material (brownell b 50)
finally
and tried to make a flemish string today without any
strin jig.
just by hooking the first end loop in a nail.

i made the string like described on matthias homepage.
the first end loop was not that hard to make
but the second
i could not do properly-
looks not that good - hopefully it will last.

does someone have tips how to do the second loop properly
- the two bundles do not twist how they should on the second loop
although i twist the string very much.

if someone could post i would send a photo of the loop if my description is not clear enough

thanks

lisa
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Lisa as for the serving the end loop I`ve been doing it for years .But I make my strings like I`m doing rope work ,I make a string like making a soft eye splice on a rope .Not the easiest but I can understand it easier than flemish .Here is a picture of the end loop.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Don' the twist DVD is by far the better instructional DVD about making Flemish strings. http://www.3riversarchery.com/ListThumb.asp?offset=0
It will also tell you how to properly make a jig for endless and Flemish. There are no DVDs that instruct you how to make a crossbow string that I have seen. The original Flemish string will work on a crossbow but you have to modify the string board for a shorter crossbow string.
The best advice for you is to take apart a factory Flemish string and take measurements and notes.
lisa

Post by lisa »

thank you for your offering. to help me make a jig

but if possible to make a good string without one i would like to
do it without.
one end loop looks good,
the other not so.

if i could manage to make the second lood as the first
i would be satisfied with the string.

lisa
Boo

Post by Boo »

Lisa, no words can possibly tell you what you are doing wrong. If you buy the DVD you'll have an epithany.