Vortex / Equinox access to safety

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bowster

Vortex / Equinox access to safety

Post by Bowster »

Just a quick question to the new vortex / equinox owners

I had the opportunity to hold the new vortex and like the balance and feel of it.

My question,

Can you still reach the safety with your thumb, with the new thumbhole stock, to release without lifting your hand?
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
TPM

Post by TPM »

That's my biggest beef with the new style stock but there's not much else you can do when you go with a thumb hole/pistol grip style stock. That alone would keep me from buying one. The balance is nice on the new bows but I still prefer the feel, and definetely the looks, of the old style stocks. Having said all that I do think it's a good offering in the Excalibur line as there is certainly a market for a thumb hole/pistol grip style stock these days.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
BigBear

Re: Vortex / Equinox access to safety

Post by BigBear »

Bowster wrote:Just a quick question to the new vortex / equinox owners

I had the opportunity to hold the new vortex and like the balance and feel of it.

My question,

Can you still reach the safety with your thumb, with the new thumbhole stock, to release without lifting your hand?
Hi..I've had my Vortex for a dew weeks now, and have no problem at all :D ...as for me the safety seems even closer...hope this helps ya...BB
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
huntman

Post by huntman »

im with bigbear i have no problems with the position of the safety on my vortex!
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D I have around 60 shots thru mine now , And the only thing I would change is the length of the stock to the thumb , I sent my rail out to get it
TEFLON Coated, and my stock is at a master gun smith getting a 1.5 "recoil pad added to make it more comfortable in length for my long arms. These mod's. are my choice and are not necessery but do help ,
Before I broke down the bow , to make my Modifacations It always shot great Fast and accurate, the new scope is the BOSS !!
I will be posting more about my modifacations soon !along with test results ,Now my leftt hand and fingures are very hurt since the BARRNETT RHINO SPORT blow up !!!!! too all you folk's that are waiting for there matched set bolt's, As soon as I can move them again they will be shiped . Thanks guys and be sure to say a prayer for RAY .
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Bowster,

Try it before you buy it. Finally a local shop got in the Vortex and I had a chance to put my hands on it. I am a good sized guy at 6' and I have large hands. I found that reaching the safety for me is very uncomfortable and will be ordering the exocet some time next week.

HH
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

I finally got to hold a Vortex and Equinox and find them absoulutly great. The safety is of very little concern. You do have to lift your hand a little to disengage the safety but this also forces you to completely remove your finger from the trigger which in fact should be a little safer anyway. They are more balanced, shorter and more compact. In reality the new Equinox is now in the Exocet 200 package and the Vortex is now in the Phoenix package but still shooting 350 and 330 fps respectively. I know I will be calling Dan Miller very soon to order a Vortex.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Thumbhole stocks do place the hand further away from the safety, making removing the safety feel awkward at first. However, it's all muscle memory, after awhile it feels natural to place your hand on the side of the stock, and with your thumb flick off the safety, and then rotate your wrist to place your finger on the trigger, all in one smooth motion.

For me, the advantages of a thumbhole stock far outweighs have to get use to it.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

buckeye wrote: In reality the new Equinox is now in the Exocet 200 package and the Vortex is now in the Phoenix package but still shooting 350 and 330 fps respectively. I know I will be calling Dan Miller very soon to order a Vortex.
Before you call Dan, just be aware that the Equinox is equalivant to the ExoMAX, and the Vortex is similiar to the Exocet200. The Phoenix is not available in a thumbhole stock and its speed is only 305fps.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

Comfybear wrote:
Before you call Dan, just be aware that the Equinox is equalivant to the ExoMAX, and the Vortex is similiar to the Exocet200. The Phoenix is not available in a thumbhole stock and its speed is only 305fps.
What I meant Comfybear was the new Equinox is now the same overall length as the Exocet 200 and the new Vortex is now the same overall length as the Phoenix. So now you can have the sortness of the Exocet 200 in the form of the Equinox but now shooting 350fps. The same is true when comparing the Vortex to the Phoenix. Same bow length, same width but now shooting 30fps faster than the Phoenix.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.