Crimson Talon XT's WOW!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Crimson Talon XT's WOW!

Post by Pydpiper »

I am a slick trick fan, they shoot straight and smooth..
Today I got 2 packages of the Hyper speed Crimson Talons in the mail.. Well, simply stated, goodbye Slick Tricks.
There is a fair wind out there, never got a chance to take off my shoes, screwed one on and out I went. These things shoot exactly the same as a practice point, even with the wind! I had no problem getting them out of the target and there is no damage to the broadhead.
If anyone is looking to try something new these are highly recommended form a guy who target shoots 30+ shots a day. Say goodbye to worrying about a side wind!
The reason I decided to pursue them is because they are the first company to produce a broadhead for crossbows, that is a big step for us.

If you hunt or shoot on not so nice days these are for you.

WOW!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That's very cool. My only concern with the spinning broadheads is noise. Does the spin make them louder? I noticed on Matthias72's website, there is a link showing some 100 yard competition shots. The camera is set-up at the target. You can really hear the difference between arrows as they approach the target. Some were much louder than others and you can hear them coming a second or so before they hit the target. I truly believe this is the noise the deer are "jumping" from, not the string noise. Anyway, if anyone out there knows . . . please advise.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I would say they are not as loud as the Wasps, but still do make noise. It was windy out there so everything was making noise :D
The Zwickies I stick on them in a couple weeks will bring the volume up a notch too.. :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I would say it is the vanes or feathers making the noise. To really hear this, take a standard bow and shoot a flu-flu arrow and ya sure will hear it .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That makes sense Gary.
Crimson recommends using a 3" or smaller vane, then fletching it straight when shooting these, and letting the head do the spinning. They do say that any vane size will work though, I use 4" with quite a twist.
I have only begun to test them, but so far so good.
WMU 91
Boo string
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Surface, shape, angle: every plane in moving inside a fluid (air in this case) produce a noise. For sure this kind of broadhead uses the air resistence force to get energy to put in rotation the arrow, so it produces a quantity of noises bigger than, for example, a Nitron. But honesty I don't know how many noises more it produces and if they could hurt a deer especially if the shooting distance is less than 30-35 yards.
For sure it is an interesting broadhead.
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Rich

Post by Rich »

Pydpiper,

You sparked my interest in these broadheads, I guess there is a Hyper Speed and a Hyper Speed XT. From what I've found so far, the XT is new has a thicker blade then the protype. I also read about a special deal on a 4 pack, 4 for the price of 3. Where did you buy yours and the price.

Thanks Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I might give them a try this year also.. Im staying away from mechanicals since I hate fixing the clips in the splitfires LOL.

Slicks are still my choice but if the talons do better under testing then I might try them in the field. Does anyone know if the twist in the blade slows the impact penetration down? Seems like a straight blade would cut deeper and easier to me espically with bone
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have the XT's and the XT's Hyper-Speed. They say the Hyper speed is designed for use with crossbows. The only difference I can see is the tip, one is like a screw, the other is more of a traditional 3 sided tip. I couldn't recommend one over the other, they both shoot great at 315FPS on a 435 Grain arrow (with tip). Both came as 3 packs, with a 4th head as a bonus.
Mine came from the manufacturer, as far a cost, can't help ya.. Mine came via Fed-Ex, all I know I shipping USA to Canada by Fed-Ex gets painful at the border.

I just put my calipers to the blades, if it is thicker than it is marginal. I put both into a foam block about 10 times each, with no sign of damage. Not very easy to thread on tight, the thing has blades everywhere! They come with instructions on how to remove them from a target.
Rich wrote:Pydpiper,

You sparked my interest in these broadheads, I guess there is a Hyper Speed and a Hyper Speed XT. From what I've found so far, the XT is new has a thicker blade then the protype. I also read about a special deal on a 4 pack, 4 for the price of 3. Where did you buy yours and the price.

Thanks Rich
WMU 91
Boo string
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

The Italian Bowhunters site shows the complete test of this two broadheads. This review tells that these broadheads produce devasting wounds, they are strong but the penetration and the accuracy respect field points cause their cutting diameter/blade surface, is not good as slick tricks or Nitrons.
On my personal opinion regarding the penetration that is probably true because is phisically impossible that a large cutting surface culd penetrate as a small; but regarding the accuracy I don't know. A bow is not a crossbow and the arrow testing speed could be less than a crossbow, so could be that the advantages of talons are less effectives on a bow, but this seems strange, especially after the test done by Pydpiper.

http://www.cacciaconlarco.it/Magazine/A ... apunte.htm#
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron