Tree Stands Left In the Bush

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Post by DanO »

I agree Widowman. I'm don't think these guys use the stands that frequently and what happens once they get a deer. They could at least remove the stand so that others know the spot is available. By leaving the stands up year after year, I have to assume they have been successful in that spot. Kind of advertising their success isn't it! I just might set up shop in the area if the hunting is that good.

Dan O.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Call the GRCA and question there position in this matter!
DanO

Post by DanO »

Like most hunters I hate to involve any kind of Authority for fear it backfires. MOst hunters in urban areas low profile their hunting. I find myself dashing from my vehicle to the bush with my bow in the case to avoid cars and the public. Hell I know a Conservation Officer who does the same even though we're both hunting totally legally. The less attention the better.

The GRCA kind of got stuck with these old MNR agreement forests and the last time someone raised a question about hunting they closed half of the Belwood Lake area. They also brought in a Fee to hunt there.

So I think I'll just leave it and hope the problem solves itself. I wonder if I could hire a good porcupine to chew through some harnessess.

Dan O.
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

In Louisiana it is illegal to leave your stand on public land. If you find one, you can call the forest service and they will come get it.

My pet peeve lately is folks hanging orange flags in the woods marking the trail in and out. There gets to be so many of them it looks like a parade went through there. So I started taking them down as I walk around. Some of them are so old I don't think anyone is using them. I'll probably leave any new ones I find out there after I finish "cleaning up."
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I was talking to a fella on Saturday who has hunted where I hunt for almost 15years now and he has a permanent stand that he maintains every year. He uses that stand and that stand alone. He told me that he was talking to one of the game wardens and the guy told him that the Ministry of Environment was all through the area and marked the location of the stands. They will be taking them down. I personally, do not like the permanent stands because when the stand is abandonded and all the wood falls off the tree, the spikes, lag bolts, etc are left behind to damage the tree and imagine if the tree is harvested, what it would do to a chain saw or the operator :shock: .

I like portables (climbers even better) because I like to move around and not let the deer know where I'm going to be each time out. The guy I was talking to was pissed, but the fact of the matter is that it is public land and the owner (government, region, municipality) can do what they wish with it.

My big beef is that in some spots I have seen brand new stands built with nails and lumber just weeks before the shotgun hunt. Lots of tracks to and from the stand, then after the week of shotgun, no use at all. The next year more new stands built within sight of the old ones (guys probably moving them based on where they missed a chance at a deer the year before).

If you are on public land and only hunt a few days of the year why not spend the $50-100 on a portable stand and take it with you? I'm a firm believer in leaving only footsteps behind in the bush. I always pick up my garbage(and others if I find it), shell casings, etc. If we continue to misuse the public lands we hunt, guess what will happen. Lots of new shiney signs will pop up. NO HUNTING!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
DanO

Post by DanO »

ecoaster: Your right about the signs and that's why I don't want to make an official stink about the stands.

Big Tiny: I noticed those stupid orange flags all over the bush near the stands. A blind man could follow those trails. I try to make my stand as discreet as possible so the public are less aware of my hunting activity. Orange flags six feet apart annoys even another hunter. I wonder if it's a way of RESERVING a spot again.

Dan O.
rutman

Post by rutman »

[quote="crazyfarmer"]I leave mine up in some areas where others hunt and I personally wouldnt want someone using mine. Its not the point of using it, its someone applying hunting pressure to that area so when I do get there the deer are already educated on people hunting them.

I also leave mine up and I have caught people in my stand. I usually get to my stand right at the beginning of prime time. I wasn't very happy when i arrived and found that another hunter had hid his truck to hunt my baited stand on the second last day of the season. I left it alone for a couple weeks so it would be ultra hot and I could fill my remaining tags.
I think that the worst thing you could do is hunt anyone elses stand without their permission. Too much effort goes into site selection and putting it up and preparing shooting lanes.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
DanO

Post by DanO »

Rutman:

is your stand on private land or public land? Do you leave it up all year? I don't have much sympathy if you hold your spot for 12 months by leaving your stand up. If your new to the sport and you can't get access to private land how do you get a good spot to hunt if guys have several stands. I can see your point if it's a private spot you've groomed. Try to put yourself in the new bow hunter shoes and there are many of them.

Dan O.
rutman

Post by rutman »

I hunt on private land that I share with several other bow hunters that also obtained permission. Most of them leave their stands up all year as well. I respect their spots and expect that they honor mine in the same way. I usually have about 10 stands at a time and don't have time at the beginning of the season to put all of them back. I agree, public land would be different.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
widowman

Post by widowman »

I HATE THE ORANGE MARKING TAPE!!!

What a poor practice, littering plain and simple.

I like to take it down any chance I get.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Rutman: I'd leave my stand up on private land too because you do have it reserved. You're the one with the permission and the stand indicates just that. I sure would be ticked off if I found someone in my stand on land I had permission to hunt.

Can anybody suggest a good portable stand? I have a ladder stand and I like it but it certainly isn't portable. How noisey is a climber? I've heard different opinions. I do weigh 200 lbs and is that a factor?

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

My climber uses the steel cables to hang onto the tree and I find it quiet to climb with. Once in it, no noise. I just take my time getting up, go real slow and even get to your spot a good half hour earlier than usual.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

rutman wrote:I hunt on private land that I share with several other bow hunters that also obtained permission. Most of them leave their stands up all year as well. I respect their spots and expect that they honor mine in the same way. I usually have about 10 stands at a time and don't have time at the beginning of the season to put all of them back. I agree, public land would be different.
well said...

I personally dont hunt public land and dont want to. Its to many hunters in one small area and thats when people get shot. Usually when walking to a stand not knowing someone else has one 50 yards from them.

But like you said, I have my spots I have hunted for years. I do get ticked when people get permission to hunt the land I do just because they hear ive killed big bucks there. What they dont know is that thos edeer are their for a reason. Not everyone hunts there and shoots everything with 4 legs. When 4-5 others move in, then it becomes just like the land they left. My theory is, dont mess with others hunting spots and they wont mess with yours 8)

I just dont feel comfortable hunting public land cause you dont know who is in that woods with a gun waiting to shoot a moving bush
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I sure am glad to know I'm not the only one out there pulling down the orange flags!
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I've read all the posts on here so far, and all I can say is, I'm sure glad I don't live in Southern Ontario. Don't get me wrong, I lived down there back in 1989, up by Collingwood. Its very beautiful, but way to many people or hunters.

I hang my homemade stands, ladder stands, all year, not on public land, or private land, but my own land. Eight hundred acres here would cost you about one third the cost of a house in Ontario. My wife and I are far, far from being rich, its just that land here is the cheapest in Canada.

I said it on here many times, if your really like hunting, then Saskatchewan is the place. For about $50,000.00 you can buy a quarter section of prime, prime, hunting land with species like Whitetail Deer, Black Bear, Moose and even Elk, on it. Now why wouldn't any of you guys consider moving. Right now we have the second hottest economy in Canada. I'm hearing rumors that test drilling is revealing that we have more Tar Sands than Alberta, but just that its much deeper in the ground. I'm afraid things may change here in the next decade or two.

Maybe some of you are saying, "Oh Ya", "Here goes Grey Owl on his selling spree". I'm not twisting any arms, just laying it on the line.

You can hunt on Public Land here and be totally alone, never any one bothering you. In fact you look forward to seeing someone, just to compare notes and jaw wag.

With a huge province bigger than Texas, and with just 965,000 population, its not hard to figure out.

Just giving you guys some options, that's all. Americans are also welcome.

Grey Owl