CUSTOM VORTEX DONE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREYWOLF

CUSTOM VORTEX DONE

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Well I got everything back now and re assembeld , I am very happy with the outcome, speed , looks and fit of pull.First I had the whole rail TEFLON coated in blackImage
[/img]Image

Second I blocked off the trigger area and filled the whole rail with foam
[/img]Image
[/img]Image

Third I added a 1.250" recoil pad to lengthen the pull distanceImage
[/img]Image
[/img]Image

I picked up 4 F.P.S. in speed , and quieted it down some , The next step is to install one of Matthias72's string dampener systems and make it super quiet , If any members are interested in my modifications PM me and I can give more detail and places to get things done GREYWOLF :D
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nice custom touch. I discovered back in "94" that filling the rail with foam did quiet it down some. Bill T. just chuckled and said " ahh, your one of the ones that figured that out too " when I told him that I filled the rail with foam.
I'll keep that teflon Modification in the back of my mind.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
rwk

Post by rwk »

Greywolf who did the teflon coating. Rich
Big John

vortex

Post by Big John »

Extremely Nice Greywolf! :)
You did real good, again. I really like the teflon coating you get done.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D Thanks guy's that TEFLON is the best , increased speed and a lot less string ware, My friend Dean Sherman Vice President at the DONWELL CO. INC. does such a great job , the coating they use is the real deal , it's sprayed and baked , the same stuff used on surgical instruments. He has done several members bows , not just EXCALIBUR's and results have been well recieved. If any one wants contact info , please feel free to ask me . I realy love the new thumb hole stocks , I just wish I wasent 6' 4" tall with knuckel draging arms :lol: the extra lenght the recoil pad added made the whole package fit me . Look out MR. 12 pointer this fall
:lol: :lol: any way If I can help any of you folks out just let me know :D GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Very nice job Greywolf! How much does filling the rail with fom quite it down?
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D put it this way , you do notice it , but the real kicker !! is the vibration loss , I mean the twanggggg when it goes off Greywolf
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

GreyWolf,

Very, Very nice. I am surprised that the Teflon only gave you 4fps. I am 61 and when I tried the Vortex I flet that the stock was short as well.

HH
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
xeon

Post by xeon »

hikerman wrote:Very nice job Greywolf! How much does filling the rail with fom quite it down?
Get a 2 glasses, fill one with water leave the other empty. Flick the empty one. Flick the full one. Compare.

Its basicly the principal that sound vibrations need something to travel though to be heard. Sound will travel more efficently through air than foam, therefore making the sound waved less unubstructed. Also, the hollow rail will allow sound to just bounce off the hard metal walls.Foam will absorb the vibrations, therefore slowing down the sound waves, and making a lower pitch, quiter noise.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:lol: :lol: YEA what he said !! Thanks , I new it worked for a reason other than looking cool :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Two questions:

1) Roughly how much does a teflon-coating for your rail cost?

2) Does it get scratched easily?

Thanks!
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

pm sent
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
saxman

Post by saxman »

Nice looking rig greywolf.
Nice to see folks that pay attention to details and takes care of their equipment like the people on here.
I get some great ideas from you guy's and gal's
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

GreyWolf

I thought you were going to get an Equinox? Why did you go to the Vortex? Have you got Ohio hunting in mind? I couldn't stand it having this Equinox sitting here so I guess it's mine now. My thinking was to put it together for some pictures for eBay and now that I've handled it I believe it is lighter than my Phoenix. Nice bow.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Esox

Post by Esox »

.GREYWOLF.
Dean really does some nice work... The teflon on my Exomax not only made it slicker but the coating also helps reduce any metalic "clinking" sound when brush hits it....

Did you do the triggers also?

I also made up a set of String Dampeners that had been posted before I saw the ones Mathais makes and that knocked down the sound a whole lot....

Are you getting the Dampeners with the added v-bar?....

I really feel that these are worthwhile modifications to quiet and speed up x-bows.. Every little bit helps....Bill T should consider offering these as options to the production models....My 2 cents anyway....