Turkey Hunting with crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bbbwb

Turkey Hunting with crossbow

Post by bbbwb »

I have been reading the differnt comments about the Turkey Guillotine broadhead. It appears there is substantiol cost for these and the target is the neck to head area. As a general thought, I am wondering if this is a new approach or challenge in harvesting a turkey. I just assumed that turkeys were shot with archery by waiting for that opportune moment when the bird turned to walk away providing that bulls eye target for the marksman to concentrate on. HaHa-- you know what I am talking about.--"spherical rectum"
Archery for turkey is something I have not done but am plannig to try and this was my plan until the Guillotine became a conversation topic. I don't doubt but what I have revealed a naivity on this subject and after all have picked themselves up off of the floor from laughter,please reply as I will be glad to hear the comments.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I can't turkey hunt with a crossbow in Maine, but I did shoot one with a regular bow last fall. I used a broadhead with an arrestor on it and put the arrow exactly where I wanted to. The fletched end of the arrow was sticking out of her butt, and the broadhead was poking out of her chest, but that hen (we can shoot either gender in the fall), took off into the woods. I'd hate to see how long she would have lived if I hadn't found it and put a second broadhead through her neck 45 minutes after the initial shot. I swore at that point that I'd never do that again. I'll only be bringing Guillotines with me this spring. I either want that bird decapitated or (basically) uninjured.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I have not tried turkey hunting with a crossbow yet and i want get to this spring but when I do I think I will build some long arrows for the
Guillotines ( the 4inch model) , making the arrow long enough for the
Guillotines to clear the Stirrup, try a few and see how they work.
Has anybody tried this yet?

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
bbbwb

Turkey Hunting with Crossbow

Post by bbbwb »

Corvus:
Thanks for your reply. I imagine that you had a laugh at my assumption. I thought that a bolt through the main section of the body as I was imagining would have been all but instant death --- certainly not a duration with the follow up as you have experienced.
So many thanks for sharing your experience as I also share your objective of a fatal shot or an uninjured bird.
This means greater consideration must be given to the Guillotine if I am going to turkey hunt.
bbbwb
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I absolutely shared that assumption until I shot that bird, believe me! They can be incredibly tough. I think the other advantage to the guillotine would be that you'd have less meat ruined. My broadhead and arrestor made quite a mess of one of the breasts.

Tar Heel - if the long arrow didn't fly well or if you had other issues with it, I wouldn't hesitate to just remove the stirrup after you had cocked the crossbow. It goes on and off easily enough.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i turkey hunt every year with a crossbow, it is a real blast , most of the time it dont spook the turkeys, they settle down very quick because they dont know what happened,last year i missed my first shot he was too close shot over his head he just looked up like,,what was that-- but got him on the second shot. you will swallow your heart .it is exiting.

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
MDBOWHUNTER

TURKEY HUNTING

Post by MDBOWHUNTER »

I TOOK TWO TURKEYS LAST SPRING WITH MY EXOCET. I USED SPITFIRE BROADHEADS AND NEITHER BIRD WENT OVER 30 YARDS, SO I DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO TRY ANY THING ELSE.
bbbwb

Turkey Hunting With Crossbow

Post by bbbwb »

Hatchet Jack , MDBowhunter:
Where did you hit your birds -- body -- in side or from back end? neck/ head?
bbbwb
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I spoke to a gentleman who is the crossbow geru (DM) as far as I'm concerned and he says them guillitines don't fly very well at all. Yah if you got a 10 yard shot you may be able to decapitate him, but it has to be damn close. I won't give you this mans name because he designed a stirrup for the people who make the Guillotine. We all know him and he is reliable. He gave his sample Guillotines away because he said he couldn't in good faith sell them. He is looking at doing some work with the snare points. He thinks they will fly better and are alot cheaper. I believe I would stick with a regular broadhead and maintain some accuracy. Yes the "uppa dee poop chute" is supposed to be a good shot. Or high on body right where wings join the body. It's tough because them Tom's are all puffed up and can't tell what's feather and what's body.
Just my opinion after talking to the experts.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I took the Ontario turkey course last weekend and the instructer mentioned how a hunter should be prepared to immediatley chase down a broadhead shot turkey, because they tend to run and leave no blood trail.

That got me wondering about the fall turkey hunt that is being considered for 2008 in Ontario. I know archery deer hunters who are looking forward to the possibility if incidentally taking a fall turkey. However, a deer hunter in a treestand is in no position to quickly get to a broadhead shot turkey. They might hit the bird, but recovering it could be a problem. Seems to create an ethical dilemma :? .

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
A.W

Post by A.W »

ninepointer. I will only take a side shot of turkey with a bow. I like the Zwickey Grapplers (arrow arresters). With a side shot it's possible to pin both wings which in turn stops the bird from flying and reduces it's ability to run.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

Let me share my learning experience last weekend. Only the 2nd time turkey hunting. I am using Zwickey Grapplers and a pop up blind. Had a gobbler come by and took a 20 yd shot & the turkey flew about 10 ft up and straight back down, then ran off. Waited 30 minutes and searched the direction it ran. No gobbler found or bolt found. No blood trail. Found 18 cut feathers in a pile at the point of impact. Searched for a couple of hours on went home empty handed and dissapointed.

The next day, back in the pop up blind and another gobbler came by. This time waited until it was completely broadside @ 15 yds. I had my back to the back of the pop up so the turkey would not see my movement. I shot and the gobbler flew off. The bolt was lodge in a tree @ 20 yds, but at an awkard angle. I could not understand how I could totally miss at that range. No feathers or blood on bolt. The Zwickey Grappler was at the back of the bolt. At the end of the hunt when putting the pop up blind back in the case, discovered a large tear just below the edge of the window. Evidently, my line of sight with the scope was good, but I did not take into account the fact the bolt is a couple of inches below and that was the difference. The broadhead hit window and the Grappler did number on the pop up as is passed through. Experience is a good teacher. Learning to hunt from a pop up is different than a tree stand during deer season.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

TNXBow wrote:Let me share my learning experience last weekend. Only the 2nd time turkey hunting. I am using Zwickey Grapplers and a pop up blind. Had a gobbler come by and took a 20 yd shot & the turkey back of the bolt. At the end of the hunt when putting the pop up blind back in the case, discovered a large tear just below the edge of the window. Evidently, my line of sight with the scope was good, but I did not take into account the fact the bolt is a couple of inches below and that was the difference. The broadhead hit window and the Grappler did number on the pop up as is passed through. Experience is a good teacher. Learning to hunt from a pop up is different than a tree stand during deer season.
AT LEAST YOUR GETTING SHOTS! I GOT SKUNKED THIS YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 10 YEARS. DANG FORESTERS WOULDNT QUIT BURNING MY HUNTING AREAS!!!!JAY
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have never shot a turkey with a bow. However, I have killed several with a rifle. I was taught to hit them broadside, just above where the legs disappear into the body. Try to hit him square on the upper leg. Break the legs and they are down. No running, no flying, no tracking . . .I've never had a bird to get away. Breast meat is always good. I've had to finish several of them off, but, that's the best way to down a bird. I'm confident it would work with a broadhead too. Someone out there give it a try.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

bbbwd, to answer your question, i shoot turkeys in the body, just above the legs, a side shot so i dont damage the breast, i let the arrow pass all the way through,,,, they dont seem to flop like shooting them in the head or neck, normally they just set down & die, if there are more than 1 turkey very seldom does it spook the rest as long as you just set still,,, i have taken more than 1 out of the same flock.

h.j.
they say he is still up there.