I'm getting the hang of Turkey hunting!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

I'm getting the hang of Turkey hunting!

Post by mdcrossbow »

Thursday evening I left for Grovsnors farms to hunt birds Friday morning. When I got their I set up my pop up blind but 2 decoys out and told my son Jon to give me a wake up call at 5. Sleeping in the van with a cot is not bad at all but the phone ring is LOAD!
I get in about 5:30 and it begins to pour and about 7:30 it let up and I hear 2 or 3 birds on the other farm so I hit the box call with a couple yelps and I get a gobble from a bird less then 100 yards away. I let the call alone. Now the rain has stopped and I see a big blue head coming out of the woods but he sure didn't like the pop-up he stayed on the upper part of the field. About 8:30 I leave the pop-up and head for the upper part of the field, about 50-60 yards. The bird was just over the rise, sees me and bolts I shoot from about 50 yards clean miss. I hear nothing the rest of the morning. SO I call Grovsnor and he said that he drought that bird would be back the next morning but if I were to hunt that field again I needed to hunt the upper side.

Saturday morning I'm tucked in under a ceder some 60 yards from where the bird Friday morning on the upper side of the field where he had been milling around. Beautiful morning also. At newspaper light I have 5 gobblers going off behind me in this 1000+ acre field with 3 islands of trees, I hit the box call with a few yelps and this tom goes off in the same area as Friday morning then 2 more behind him. So I sut up and get ready I hit my hat against the ground and a few yelps again and I see 2 heads coming over the rise , strutting and drumming but that didn't want to come in any further than 45-50 yards and headed back do the hill. John had said birds are very territorial so I figured I'd find out, I hit the gobble tube and quickly crawled out to retrieve the hen decoy at 5 yards, I should have hit the gobble tube after I retrieve the decoy because on my return crawl I made it back to the opening of the ca mo material I laced between to small sapling and I catch movement out of my right eye and I freeze, 3 toms barking like mad at looking for the invader who took their hen. I stayed frozen on one knee next to a tree in the open for I want to say 15 minutes but it wasn't that long but I was starting to falter in my composure with these 3 big boys barking and so before I fall out I need to slip onto my back side and hopefully get a shot at one. As slowly as I would turn on a big doe in full alert I muster the nerves to slide onto my butt and slowly bring the bead onto the head of that bird which eluded me the prior morning. Then the bird to the left spots me and the one to my right turns but the big boy stood defiant barking with his head protruding high as to say this is my area I wax um good and with no fluttering he was laid to rest.T
he bird was between 22-24 pounds , he had 1 1/4" on the left and 1 1/2" spir on the right and sported a 10 3/4 " beard.

Last edited by mdcrossbow on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Congrats on the bird.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Persistence pays off , nice bird.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!
Guess you've figured out they spot movement easily. :lol:
wabi
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

congrats, awesome bird
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

good job, nice bird

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Nice bird.Congrats.
An old man once told me that turkeys are so suspicious that when a deer see's a man it think's it's a stump when a turkey see's a stump it think's it's a man.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Thanks All, it was as good of a hunt as ever one was. I getting more excited with each kill.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Big turkey! Way to stick it out. They always seem to act differently, even from one day to the next.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Sweeeeet ! .... beauty bird ... Congrat's !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

Nice bird, don't forget the gravy.
bbbwb

The Hang of Turkey Hunting

Post by bbbwb »

mdcrossbow
Way to go. Isn't it amazing how the hormones rattle their better judgement.
bbbwb
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Thanks All !
For you old turkey hunters I have to let you know that this is the 1st Boss Tom I have called in on my own. I've only taken 4 birds now and the others were with friends who guide. I invited them up to Md. to hunt bucks durring the rut and they inturn helped me get into turkey hunting. SO I was very excited about this hunt to say the least.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

nice bird!!!!! I have never heard a bird "bark" before. :lol:

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

congrats man;)