Red dot scope-- need advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Alagator

Red dot scope-- need advice

Post by Alagator »

Decided to try horizontal this year, since Alabama has included crossbows in the general archery season. Our regs don't allow a magnified scope, so the Lumi-Zone isn't an option. Any recommendations on a red dot to put on a Vortex? Anyone have any experience with these?
Thanks
Everything is better when you do it outside.
bbbwb

Red Dot

Post by bbbwb »

Alagator
Have used a red dot on my exocet for several years and have had very good results. I sighted in for 25 yards. I marked out distances in shooting lanes for deer hunting. My only fault was that I wasn't able to follow the fletchings/bolt flight after release as well as with peep sights. I had no problems in remembering to immediately turn off the red dot after use and the battery lasted very well.
I have bought an exocet 200 with the lumizone scope. I hope that it will be better for folllowing. However,if it isn't I won't hesitate to revert to the red dot.
I believe the red dot will do the job for you.
Good luck.

bbbwb
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I put a red dot on my exocet I set for 30 yds,on mine I have 4 settings I use the crosshair setting,it works good for me!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I used a 3-dot TruGlo on my Phoenix with good results. I believe most 3-dot type red-dotd will be calibrated for around 300fps, though. What I did was zero the center dot at 25 yards, then shoot to find where the other dots were on. Mine turned out to be 12-25-37 (or very close to that), so the TruGlo must have been calibrated for less than 300fps.
wabi