Spooked Tom...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hockeyfodder

Spooked Tom...

Post by hockeyfodder »

I just wondered if anyone knew how long a Tom will be spooked if he is shot at and missed.
Will he move out of the area or will he just be spooked for a few hours or days?
It seems to be this year the birds are either too far out or too close.
Te one the other day was so close I should have had a bayonet fixed to the end of my barrel and I would have had him.
I'm sure the shot never had a chance to open up at all and that is why I missed him clean.
Oh well. I know he'll be probably alot more wary.
I just wondered if I should move to another spot or if he would still be in the area and he may still be able to be got. (If I'm sharp enought to hit him next time).
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
(feeling silly in Southern Ontario)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ok, picture someone has just shot at you. What would you do :lol:

They get much more wiser but they arent totally unkillable. Usually birds that get shot at wont go back into open fields or come to calling for quite some time. They will also stop gobbling and change locations on where they roam. Every turkey is different, but I wont expect to go back next week and bag him. Granted you could, but after shooting and missing most they are done for the season.
wabi

Post by wabi »

crazyfarmer wrote:ok, picture someone has just shot at you. What would you do :lol:

They get much more wiser but they arent totally unkillable. Usually birds that get shot at wont go back into open fields or come to calling for quite some time. They will also stop gobbling and change locations on where they roam. Every turkey is different, but I wont expect to go back next week and bag him. Granted you could, but after shooting and missing most they are done for the season.
I'd agree with this post! Move to another area and forget this bird would be good advice!
wabi
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

normally if you have called a tom in, you shoot & miss if you didnt hit him & he didnt see you it was just another noise that spooked him,,any kind of noise or movement will spook them, if you go back to the same location use another call , they have a short memory if they are still chasing hens ,you might move 100 yards one way or the other , but change your call so you sound like another hen, i carry a box, slate , fricton & mouth call with me all the time, i very seldom use a decoy ,i want the tom to come looking for me.
have a nice day,,,,,,,hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i killed a turkey in the same spot that one flew down and was missed on a friday, the following monday. whether or not it was the same turkey i have no idea.
thanks philip
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

I agree with the last few posts. Turkey's have a very shor memory and can be called back into the same area with some changes in calling. Don't give up on the bird or the area.
enjoy the woods
Doug
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I think these birds have very good survival insticts,but when it comes to this time of year,you have the advantage!change your routine and your calling,and don't give up,he will get lonely soon and he'll be yours :lol:
hockeyfodder

Thanks to all for the help and comments...

Post by hockeyfodder »

Thanks for the input on my hunting area...