FIRST SHOT-EVER

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ratherbefishin

FIRST SHOT-EVER

Post by ratherbefishin »

So....having assembled the equipment for my Exomax,put on the scope,and headed down to my neighbour who has a crossbow[not sure what make]to try it out.I cocked it with the cocking aid[not too hard]clicked on safety-put a bolt in and gave it to him for the first shot.He had 2 billets of styrofoam about 8'' thick set up with a 6'' paper target pinned to it.About 20 yards back ,he put it over the back of a bench and pulled the trigger-wow-it was fast!Hit on the bull about 2'' off center at 9 o'clock.The bolt was buried half way up the fletching-through 16'' of styrofoam.Next,I tried a shot-and wonder of wonder-I ''missed'' the whole target-we looked for the bolt and couldn't find it anywhere....except, we did-it had buried it self in the butt-gone right in the same hole as the first shot.....wow.....now I know why they say only shoot at one target at a time or you will ruin your bolts....and I thought that was just advertising....
Esox

Post by Esox »

.... and it gets to be even more and more fun as you go along....

....the more you shoot the more you enjoy it.....so.....

.....Welcome to the club.....
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That's sweet . . .two shooters, two shots, and one hole! I'll bet your neighbor will be shooting an Excalibur before the end of summer.

Congrats.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Ecals do have a habit of selling themselves don't they.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

This guy has used a crossbow for years-and he was impressed[so was I,to say the least].The bolt,with a target point, punched right through 16'' of styrofoam.My guess is it would do the same with a broadhead on a deer,and I don't think I'd be afraid to try a shot on a moose,either[somewhere I saw a video clip of a guy shooting a bull moose with a crossbow].It was pretty quiet, too.
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

Great shooting. . . .

I wouldn't hesitate taking the Max on a moose hunt.

My brother took this moose with a carved tip exocet, 175 I think, in 2004.

Image[/img]
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

If an Exomax can take down an elephant, it can surely take care of a moose! :lol:
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

does anybody have a link to that moose video clip-''death of a King'',I think it was called.As I recall,it went down pretty quick
turkeylips

Post by turkeylips »

Do you not adjust your scope to zero it. It sounds a bit silly to take a second shot and not do any adjustments.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

I never adjust a scope until I fire several shots off a bench and see where it is patterning-then I adjust it
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I did a similar thing except with broadheads. Cut two vanes off a bolt. D'oh!
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

I'm just thinking-if field points punched through 16"'of styrofoam-what would a razor sharp broad head do on a well placed back of the shoulder shot on a deer,moose or bear at that range?
ratherbefishin

range finder?

Post by ratherbefishin »

I'm doing some shooting with my new exomax[incredably accurate]-and made a few observations-out to 30 yards it shoots bang on the money-after that-even another 10 yards it starts to drop -maybe 4''-6 ''so that tells me I should pretty well restrict any hunting to 40 yards or less-and given the trajectory,it also becomes very appearent how critical it is to be able to judge distances beyond 30 yards.Not a big problem stand hunting-you can pace of a few ''markers'' but for still hunting, I can see it becomes a challenge-how many guys use range finders-and if so-what are your choices as to makes and models?
ps-I'm shooting target points-how much of a diference do the broadheads make?