Approximate Cost of Taxidermist

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rage_A_Holic

Approximate Cost of Taxidermist

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

I have had an Exomax for about 8 months now, and have had a WONDERFUL time target shooting it. I have bought a crossbow block; and I fire a few bolts at it whenever possible. I also frequent The Wolfs Den as much as possible. WHAT A WONDERFUL BOW! I am ready for deer season, and already have my fingers crossed. I know its still months away; but I figure that gives me a few months to figure everything out.

When (or If) I get a deer; I really want to make a mount with my first deer. Something like Tigerpaw's mount that he recently posted.

- Approximately what kind of cost am I looking at?
- Any recommendations in the GTA? (or up to 1 hour in any direction)
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Normous

Post by Normous »

My last shoulder mount two years ago in Southern Ontario was $450 for a A1 quality job. It took 10 months.
Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
rutman

Post by rutman »

enormous wrote:My last shoulder mount two years ago in Southern Ontario was $450 for a A1 quality job. It took 10 months.
Norm
Thats par and good things never come in a hurry so be patient. My buddy does awesome deer and turkey fans. We are about 2.5 hours from the GTA though. His full time taxidermist buisness is called Bluewater Taxidermy and his phone # is (519)565-2385. You will not be dissapointed he is worth the trip. :wink:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I have threatened to put my taxidermist on a retainer, it could be less expensive for me in the long run with the number of animals I have brought to him over the years.

I have every species of duck indigenous to north America mounted as well as the other usual suspects, geese, turkey and pheasants. I have four whitetail bucks mounted.

I talk every year to the many taxidermist I see each year at the Ohio Deer & Turkey Expo in Columbus. I have found that the prices in this area of the United States for a full shoulder mount vary from a low of $250.00 to a high slightly above $500.00 in US dollars. The average seems to be right around $325.00 to $350.00.

I have seen great looking $275.00 mounts and terrible looking $400.00 mounts so the old adage of "you get what you pay for" does not necessarily hold true in this instance.

Look at work from the taxidermist you are considering. When determining the quality of work pertaining to whitetails look at the following.

The Nose. The nose should have a semi-gloss sheen to it and not look dull or on the opposite end of the spectrum look like the animal could guide Santa's sleigh. Look inside the nostril, is there a slight pink color.

The Eyes. First, are the eyes straight. Some of you may remember my criticism regarding the eyes of the now famous "Amish Buck". I think in that post I called him "goofy eyed" as one eye was looking one way and the other looking another way. It really ruined the mount in my opinion. Also look at the tear ducts coming from the front of the eye and curving downward. Do they look realistic.

The Ears. I think more mounts fall short in this area then any other. The white hair on the inside of the ear should almost appear fluffy and never matted down or look like your hair (if you still have it) when you first get up in the morning. In most mounts you should never even see the skin on the inside of the ear.

The Antlers. Did the taxidermist position them correctly? I always take several photographs of any buck I am considering mounting. I give good photos of the buck posed so the the taxidermist can easily see the positioning of the antlers on the animal. I have a friend that has a buck mounted and when you compare the pictures of it right after he killed it to what it looks like now hanging on his wall, you would swear it is an entirely different animal. This buck had pronounced forward sweeping antlers when it was alive. It now has antlers that barely go forward of the ears and reach straight for the heavens.

And last, try to know where you will put the buck after he is mounted. By knowing exactly where the buck will be placed, you can make the proper decision as to the type of mount you want. Do you want him in an alert upright position? Will he look straight on or have a slight turn to the right or left. Would a sneak position look better for the spot you have picked out? You wouldn't believe how many people take a buck to the taxidermist with no forethought what-so-ever as to what position they want and little to no idea as to where they will actually hang their trophy of a lifetime. The taxidermist can show you literally hundreds and hundreds of forms that are available for your mount from his catalogs. You sure don't want to bring your mount home and have it just look ridiculous in the spot that you want to display him.

Don't be afraid to communicate your wishes to the taxidermist. He will not think you are being a pain in the ass. Almost all of them consider themselves "artists" and have a great deal of pride in their work. I also think you get a better job when the "artist" knows you will cast a critical eye at his work. He will know that you appreciate the extra attention to detail and strive to present you with his best effort.
These were just some of my thoughts on mounts. I am sure others can add to this list and point out what they have learned over the years dealing with the taxidermist.

I don't think there is a day that goes by that I do not look at one of my mounts and immediately recall the hunt and relive it over again. I do not consider them "trophy's of accomplishment" to show others what a fine hunter I am. They are not "scorecards". I killed these animals. I will not apologize to anyone for doing this! It is my right! And I truly believe it is my heritage and destiny. And much like my ancestors who adorned themselves with teeth and claw from the animals they killed, I choose my way to do the same. When the primitive hunter sat in front of his evening fire and looked down upon the bear claws strung on the rawhide twine around his neck, I just know he must have relived his hunt much the same as I do. We as people have evolved, but don't kid yourself, your a killer. Your teeth give you away. And until every member of PETA have their canine incisors pulled, they can kiss my ass. Don't you ever apologize to anyone for your mount!

(Steps down from Soapbox)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That was a good read Mike.. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Well said and appreciated Mike.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

$160 down $280 on pickup plus $35 if you want the back board with wall hook. I get mine done at a place outside of Bellville ON about 3 hr from you. If you would like the name and would consider the drive let me know. He has done a very professional quality job on all my mounts and no, he is not my friend or related to me :wink:
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Thank you so much guys!

Southern Ohio is a tad far for me; but Belleville is right on the way home! I will probably be doing some hunting up in Ottawa; and will be coming back to Toronto on the 401. Tigerpaw, please post contact info; or PM it to me. Thanks a lot guys.

PS. Your mount is awesome TigerPaw
PPS Any pics Mike P?

Here's a final dumb question for you... It's dumb because I am certain the answer is yes..... but do any of you have mounted does?

I want my first deer mounted regardless of size, or sex. I have never seen a mounted doe before, but as Mike P put it, I want it for the memories, its not a "Trophy's of Accomplishment" to me.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Rage_A_Holic check your PM

Although I do not have any does mounted you are 100% correct it is about the memories and with a mount it is easy to relive the hunt over and over! Best of luck this next season I hope to see a great story of your deer hunting success posted on this board come fall!!
huntman

Post by huntman »

Rage_A_Holic wrote:Thank you so much guys!

Southern Ohio is a tad far for me; but Belleville is right on the way home! I will probably be doing some hunting up in Ottawa; and will be coming back to Toronto on the 401. Tigerpaw, please post contact info; or PM it to me. Thanks a lot guys.

PS. Your mount is awesome TigerPaw
PPS Any pics Mike P?

Here's a final dumb question for you... It's dumb because I am certain the answer is yes..... but do any of you have mounted does?

I want my first deer mounted regardless of size, or sex. I have never seen a mounted doe before, but as Mike P put it, I want it for the memories, its not a "Trophy's of Accomplishment" to me.

Hey Rage there is a taxidermist as a member on this site. His user name is peter p and he is located in Bolton On... not very far from you at all. He did my last mount for me and i was extremly pleased contact him if and when you need more info.
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

I will do that right now. Thank you.

I say I am from Toronto; when in fact I live on the border of Brampton and Caledon. (Mayfield Road) Bolton is 15-20mins from me.

Thanks a lot guys!
Thanks for the PM TigerPaw
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Rage_A_Holic wrote: PPS Any pics Mike P?
Here is my latest buck while still in progress at my taxidermist. For the sake of scale, I am 6'2" tall and weigh 245 lbs.