Biodiesel

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DropTine

Biodiesel

Post by DropTine »

A little off topic but do any of you guys make biodiesel, Me and my Dad started to make it and we save some major coin! Its a lot better for the environment and a lot better for your engine apposed to petroleum diesel. It works out for us 30 cents a litre.

Thanks,

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
dnepr

Post by dnepr »

haven't done the biodeisel thing yet but when we get our hands on free veggie oil we run a 50/50 mix of veggie and regular diesel in the wifes truck . runs well saves us some cash and much less smelly than straight diesel .
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Hey that's cool Matt

Can you elaborate a little on how you make it? I have a supply on french fry oil that I can get for free. I can understand the filtering, but I saw on Discovery Channel a guy making it and he added something to cause impurities to separate out. Don't understand that.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Process For 1 litre batch

- Get 1 litre of used oil and heat it up to 120 f
- in a blender, mix 200 mL of Methyl Hydrate and 8 grams of Lye until it gets warm
- Once oil reaches 120 f, add the two substances in a container, which can with stand the heat, not aluminum because it can contaminate the biodiesel, and mix with a mixer for 1 hour
- let it sit for 1 day
- wash it by adding 1 litre of water per 1 litre of biodiesel, to wash it, we have our air compressor hooked up to a clear hose with a bunch of tiny holes poked in it so when there is air in the hose, it bubbles to mix the water and the biodiesel, also you can use a plain aquarium bubbler, wash the biodiesel for 1 hour, then let it sit overnight, repeat this process 3 times.
- after you have washed it three times, heat it up to 140 f, so it becomes clear then let it cool very slowly.
- then run it through a filter to get the impurities out.

Then its ready to go in the tank. You should add a cheap fuel filter right before the injector pump on the fuel line because after running biodiesel in your engine, it cleans out your engine very good. It seems like a long process, and it is for a 1 litre batch, but once you have a big set up, its not, we make 60 litres every batch,you may only have to do it twice every week to fill your tank. Hope i helped you.

Thanks,

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release

huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

Or, if you have enough coin you can buy one of these:

Biodiesel Processors

No fuss, no muss, just dump the stuff in and turn it on.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
diesel

Post by diesel »

I've been building diesel injection pumps for almost 23 years now. I've only seen 2 injection pumps come in that people were making their own biodiesel. What a mess , the inside of these pumps are not clean.
Don't get me wrong I've told my brother it was ok to use, but don't use this french fry oil. Best to use about a 10% mixture.
I take phone calls on this every week. If anyone wants some of the info I have on this pm me your address and I will send it to you.
I may be very wrong but with what I have seen you should be very careful.
Just my 2 cents.
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

My dads buddies have been running it for 3 years and weve been going for 2 months, no problems for us or them, knock on wood, we just got a new injector pump.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release