arrow weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

alf7555

arrow weight

Post by alf7555 »

Just bought a Phoenix crossbow . This is my first crossbow . I have been shooting a compound for years but have had to go to a crossbow because of shoulder problems . HMMMMMM ? , is it age or mileage ? Anyway , I always have liked to shoot a light ,fast arrow. With 350gr. being the minimum , what is the optimum arrow ? I will use the 100gr. broadhead as per Excalibur's suggestion . Carbon or aluminum doesn't matter to me . Just want to be as close to the 350gr. as possible.
I also would like to know which string gives the most speed . I have seen on other posts that some use the Fast Flight and some use the Flemish . Which is faster ?
Thanks
wabi

Post by wabi »

GoldTip Laser II carbon or 2213 aluminum arrows with 100 grain points will put you close to minimum weight. You might find that minimum weight and the fastflight string are a bit loud & rough (bow vibration) though. A dacron string and 280 - 300 grains arrow weight shoot a lot smoother from my Phoenix.
As for strings there is material (fastflight or dacron) and there is string construction (endless loop or flemish twist). You can have a fastflight flemish, or a fastflight endless loop, or dacron flemish or endless loop. Fastflight gives more speed than dacron.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Fastflight Flemish strings increase velocity of my Carbon Express with 4" vanes by about 20 fps from my Equinox. Have not as yet chroned the same bolt with 2" vanes, they (seem) even faster.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I made some bolts, Gold Tip II with brass inserts in the front, alum. in the back and 2" feathers. I like how they shoot, I find they repeat better ( for me )than the sandard bolts that come in the kit. I shoot a Exocet 175# with the Fastflight Flemish string & peep sight. I don't know what speed or weight the bolts are though, would like to find out. My accurcy could be better so I am trying to get some of the vibration out of the bow with a little heavier bolt, I never thought of changing strings.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

Hi , for the guys looking for diff. strings , there is a forum member on here (BOO) is his forum name, he is a very excellent custom string maker , i have several of his strings and i like every one & many diff. colours , you can see pics of his strings if you do a serch on here for strings or you can email him at [email protected] his prices are very good also .
STANDS ALONE

Post by STANDS ALONE »

I agree with XBOWKING, speak to Don ( Boo )
He helped me out greatly about string making & the right choice to make for your XBOW.
I have a couple of his strings for my Exomax, they are very very high quality, my Easton 2219 XX75 Gamegetters fly very fast, straight & true at long distances with Boo's strings.
Regards
Jason
Exomax x 2
Custom Ground Pounder mounts x 2
Custom Boo Strings
Wolfszeit Adjustable Scope Mount
6-24X50 Mildot Scope
STS
Matthias Custom Inserts with Nap Nitron 125grn
1.5 Mini Blazer Vanes 3 degree r/h offset
20" Easton 2219 XX78 super slam