Back surgery question????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rich

Back surgery question????

Post by Rich »

My hunting buddy just had back surgery, he had his L4/5 fused. With deer season 3 months away, what can he expect i.e. able to carry tree stand (API), able to climb tree, walking dsitance, deer dragging, etc. I know each individual heals differently, but if anyone can provide input it would be appreciated.

Rich
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

It all depends on his recovery, everyone is different. Age , shape ect. , I was out swimming and hikeing 4 weeks atfer and felt great . I had L45 & S1 done. Have him stay with the P/T its hard at first but gets easyer.
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

my brother in law had the same thing had the 4 & 5th fused, i go to the doc with him each month,,, he cant lift anything over 15 lbs for 6 month, he is now in his 4 th month, he cant ride a riding mower yet the powder they use to fuse is mixed with his blood & it takes several month for it to set up,,,,,now if he had stainless steel rods with screws that is a diffrent story it heals much quicker. my brotherinlaw is 68,,,,,,it screwes up his walking , he has fallen 2 times because he cant pick up his feet.
he is my hunting buddy to, he can ride in the mule now if he goes slow,cant shoot his crossbow or a gun either.

hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Had two in the past 7 yrs, last one 4 yrs ago. He may be able to climb into the stand but not haul one. Definitely not drag or lift a deer. He also may need to change the way he cocks his bow. Just traded my Equinox (225 draw weight) of 3 months, cocking too hard on my back. I tried a crankaroo but that slow practice shooting too much. I definitely wouldn't push lifting beyond what the doc recommends.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Thanks for the inputs, I have no problem being his pack mule or dragging deer for him. He also has a blind he can use. He shoots a 10 PT so I guess he'll be getting their version of the crank-a-roo.

Rich
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Rich, I'd say listen to the Dr. and don't rush it. I certainly don't think that he should consider using a treestand this year. I've read here on the forum where member's have taken some nice deer from ground blinds. Your hunting buddy is very fortunate to have a friend like you to help him along the way :wink: My back injury was just a little more complicated. :shock:

My wife calls me the human lightening rod but most of the upper hardware has been removed.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

Ray,

for pete's sake! Glad they didn't remove the "lower hardware" ;-)

Greets

Rudi
Excalibur Phoenix
Flemish Fast Flight
TruGlo Tru Brite 1.5-5x32mm Illuminated
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Tricks 100 Grain 1 1/8
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Ray, you're really the bionic man aren't you????? :o :shock:
Skeeter

It's not the aptitude but the attitude that determines the altitude!
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

My father-in-law jokingly says that when my time comes, he's going to find out what the going rate for titanium is. :roll: . He was jokin wasn't he :shock:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ray,

You sure are carrying some hardware around, if you don't mind my asking. Is your back problem due to accident/injury or a degenerative condition.

Rich
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

5 years ago, I sat in a brand new office chair when the weld holding down the hydraulic piston failed and impaled me. Yea, that left a mark. :wink: . All kidding aside, I don't think that I would have made it if it hadn't been for my wife Tina, my kids Tyler and Brianna and my savior Jesus Christ :wink: My product liability case is extremely strong and will come to an end between Sept and Dec.

God Bless,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray