Millet scopes?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Millet scopes?

Post by crazyfarmer »

anyone euse those on any of there guns? I went to a hunting shop and they had a 3x9x44 there which has the illuminated X center. The picture was very crisp and all around a good lookin scope. Its called the buck lightning. These guys have a lifetime warranty also on their scopes. But the price was 199.99!! I was getting the bushnell banner which was around 109 but I liked the Millet one more. I found that same scope online for 129.99 on sale so I have on on order to try on my muzzleloader for this year. Anyone else have experience with them?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

thanks, I figured that.. i know some of the scopes run 400-1800 LMAO.. I try to get decent scopes around 100. I know the 40buck ones wont hold up over time so I try to stay away from them but granted some work just fine.

bascially I wanted to replace my old 3x9 since it didnt have the turn zoom on it. So if a deer was 100yards out, he still looked 75 yards out through the scope. I like seeing the hair I want to hit :lol:

a better, bigger, and clearer view usually makes for a cleaner shot
chessy

Post by chessy »

you get what you pay for.... i tried the 100 buck scope.... if it works for you great it didnt for me .... i run alll elite 4200 on my guns... my biggest is on my 270wsm 4-16X50 mm
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I will echo Chessy. I have not had good luck with the more inexpensive lines of scopes over the years. If your limit is around $200 I would suggest the Leupold Rifleman, not bad for the money. If it were me, I'd save my money for a better quality scope.

I guess it all depends what your going to do with it. If your walking out the back door and hunting deer on "the back forty" those scopes are probably alright, worse case is your scope fails and you walk back to the house pissed. You'll live to hunt another day. You'll also save your money for a better scope. However, if you just plunked down your life's savings on a 14 day "Spiral Horn" hunt in Africa, I would highly recommend something better. That's just been my experience over the years, yours may be different.

Regards
Joe
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Lifetime warrenty Eh? I cracked a lense on one of their red dots and e mailed the co re remedy. No so much as a word in reply.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Cossack wrote:Lifetime warrenty Eh? I cracked a lense on one of their red dots and e mailed the co re remedy. No so much as a word in reply.
thats odd.. did you call them? The hunting store that sells them locally said 2 broke do to user error and they sent 2 brand new ones out no cost. I would think they would warranty red dot scopes also.

as for the 100buck and beloe being chessy, ive always had good lcuk with my cheap scopes, most run in the 40-60buck range. But im not shooting long distances over 75 yards either. For 20yard shots I could really just use open sights LMAO. The only thing I worry about with those mainly is how well they hold to shock after 5-10 shots. But I only talke 2 shots a year if that and resight the gun in everyyear also.

ill try the scope and see I guess.. if I dont like it then off to ebay it goes LOL

thanks everyone
marmot

Post by marmot »

IMHO, Millet scopes are overpriced China junk with the inconsistent quality for which China is known. They are also very heavy scopes. A lighter scope will always handle recoil better than a heavy one.

The only Asian manufactured scopes that I will purchase are those made by Light Optical Works in Japan (e.g., Bushnell Elite series and Weaver). The rest are just junk "job shop" scopes with expensive sounding brand names.

The true test of a scope is if it will hold up on a mid-power spring piston air rifle. I have had very good luck with Bushnell Elite, Weaver, Burris, and Leupold. I have not used any of the European manufactured scopes on a spring piston air gun because I not willing to waste that much money if they do not hold up.

In closing, how many times have you paid good money on a compromise purchase only to turn around and purchase the higher-priced item later due to not being satisfied? IMHO, we all need to lose the “Wal*Mart” mentality, and remember the old adage, “A poor man can only afford to buy the best!”
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

marmot wrote:IMHO, Millet scopes are overpriced China junk with the inconsistent quality for which China is known. They are also very heavy scopes. A lighter scope will always handle recoil better than a heavy one.

The only Asian manufactured scopes that I will purchase are those made by Light Optical Works in Japan (e.g., Bushnell Elite series and Weaver). The rest are just junk "job shop" scopes with expensive sounding brand names.

The true test of a scope is if it will hold up on a mid-power spring piston air rifle. I have had very good luck with Bushnell Elite, Weaver, Burris, and Leupold. I have not used any of the European manufactured scopes on a spring piston air gun because I not willing to waste that much money if they do not hold up.

In closing, how many times have you paid good money on a compromise purchase only to turn around and purchase the higher-priced item later due to not being satisfied? IMHO, we all need to lose the “Wal*Mart” mentality, and remember the old adage, “A poor man can only afford to buy the best!”
I couldnt understand why on millets site they wanted 329bucks for that same scope while everyone here in the US sells them for 129-199

I held the elite up also and the picture was clear, but the millet seemed a little more crisp(im picky lol).

if I dont have any goodluck with this scope, ill go back to trusty bushnell
marmot

Post by marmot »

crazyfarmer wrote: I held the elite up also and the picture was clear, but the millet seemed a little more crisp(im picky lol).
The proof is in the pudding. An Elite series scope will still have a nice sight picture under less than ideal conditions. It will not fog up when it is cold or wet. It is a lot less affected by the relationship between one and the sun (i.e., it will have a lot less "flare" when pointed in the direction of the sun). The Millet will be worthless under less than ideal conditions.

Additionally, No Millet scope that I have seen has a brighter/clearer sight picture than an Elite 4200-series scope. As I said, Millet scopes are China junk with the associated non-existent quality control (I had to send two of their "Buck Gold" series scopes back to Natchez because they had defective power setting rings).

IMHO, in the $150.00 - $200.00 range, one is much better off with a 2-7x33mm Leupold Rifleman. Leupold has one of the best service departments in the industry. They will even change the scope parallax setting to a different distance if so desired. I had them set a Rifleman to be parallax free at 30 yards for use one of my spring piston air rifles. The Rifleman is the cockroach of scope world. It may not be pretty, but it is darn hard to kill!