Beaman's+Exocet200

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ranger66

Beaman's+Exocet200

Post by ranger66 »

I was wondering if someone has this setup, Beaman Thunder bolts with 100 grain heads using them in an Exocet 200. I need to know the speeds you were getting cause I bought a Varizone scope and I want to know approximately where I should set the speed dial for whenI set it up, sorry I don't have a chrony yet. Any help greatly appreciated.
Ranger.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Start at 325, that's where mine always averages out to.

Rich
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I get about 315 by my chrony.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Ranger,

I shoot the Beaman Thunderbolts topped with a 125g field point and I plan on using the 125g Slick trick Magnum. I don't have a chrony but using the charts available on Mathias's web site I expected 308fps. My scope is set to the middle 0 on the 300 mark and it is dead on with a brace height of 1 1/4". My last 5 arrow group at 40 yards was 1 7/8" off of a monopod shooting stick, so I have no performance complaints.

I figured that this setup would have a good FOC and give me the 450g required bolt weight for one of the states I hunt. I weighed them and they were all 3326g to 328g (arrow only) so I am pretty happy with the consistancy of the factory weights. but when I calculated the F.O.C. I came up with 10.2% for field tips and 9.76% with the Slick Trick using the calculator at:
http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery9.html

My understanding is that the desired FOC for a hunting arrow should be 12% to 15%. Even though the FOC is a little low I am very happy with the performance. Keep in mind that a 100g field point or broadhead will have an even lower F.O.C.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire