arrows sticking in foam target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kitty kat

arrows sticking in foam target

Post by kitty kat »

:?: Does any one have a simple solution to my arrows getting stuck in the foam target. I usually shoot 25 to 30 yards and the arrows go through the eight inch thick target almost to the fletching. They are a real struggle to get out. I have been told to spray the carbon arrows with silicone spray . I havent done that yet for I don't know if the spray would do damage to the arrows or my target I have bought larger diameter target points to make a larger hole and should be easier to remove. This didn't help very much. I am welcome to almost any suggestions. I am using an Excalibur Exomax.
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have a pvc tube made up with 2 caps ( 1 cap has hole drilled thru it ) and piece of foam inside. I load the the foam up with silicone lube . Dip the arrow in and shoot. Silicone will not harm your arrows .

I have seen others use a bar of ivory soap .
Andre Leblanc

Post by Andre Leblanc »

My archery guy told me to use Pam spray on the first third of the bolt. It works. I just sparyed a rag and wipe the front third before the session. Looking forward to hear from others experience with this.
Andre Leblanc
Canoe Builder/Owner
North Bay Canoe and Kayak
www.nbcanoe.com
Equinox w/Lumi-zone Scope
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

my advice would be to buy a better target, but usually when any targets get broken in the bolts are easier to remove. I had the same probs you had and then bought the block xbow target.. my 3 year old can remove those bolts from that. They slide out like butter since those layer targets use friction to stop the bolt and not force like foam ones do
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Silicone will not hurt your arrows, and does indeed help with removal!
There is a tool made by Danny Miller that grips arrows in a way that makes them a pleasure to remove too, for $10 you can't go wrong.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Get the plier-type arrow puller sold by Dan Miller. There is no better way to retrieve tight or stuck arrows. He'll ship to you immediately. You won't be sorry. :D
Grizz
Dunn14

Post by Dunn14 »

what I do is get a bunch of old feed bags from my neighbor, and stuff them into another bag until I can't get anymore in. field points slide out easily with little effort, and the target is cheap to make 8)
diesel

Post by diesel »

Go to a farmer and get one old feed bag. Fill it with cloths. That is the end of the arrow removel problem.
The dan miller works great if you still feel like shooting into a foam target.
dschnarr

Post by dschnarr »

I use a feed bag stuffed with plastic bags and skid wrap. The field points pull out with two fingers. I don't know if I should shoot broad heads into it though?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

to add to mine above.. i bought one of those cheap walmart 20buck block targets and the bolts were just like trying to pull a pole out of cement! Granted for 20bucks it worked fine if you needed some a workout removing the bolts;)

any target that doesnt have layers is going to be a little harder to remove, espically xbow bolts:)
BUSHDOG

Post by BUSHDOG »

im having the same problem i have a morrells yellow jacket made for broadheads and field points i have a screw in ex cal puller pulled the nock right out the arrow was buried 15 inches from 30 yards . the pam or silicone idea sounds good thanks
excocet200
groundpounder mount
lumizone
muzzy mx4 100grains
M&M

Post by M&M »

I use a little silicon spray on about half of the arrow and when I am shooting my broadheads [been using spitfires] I spray them down also and when I remove them from the target I can easily blow out or brush out the little bits of foam with ease. M&M
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I have both foam and bag targets. I'll never, ever shoot a target tip into a foam target again. It comes out of the bag MUCH easier.
taxman

Post by taxman »

Farmer wrote:I have a pvc tube made up with 2 caps ( 1 cap has hole drilled thru it ) and piece of foam inside. I load the the foam up with silicone lube . Dip the arrow in and shoot. Silicone will not harm your arrows .

I have seen others use a bar of ivory soap .
i have the same tube but i use SLICK 50. i dip each arrow before the shooting session and im good to go.
widowman

Post by widowman »

Rinehart Targets.

Expensive, but it is a great 3D target that is easy to pull arrows from.

For just shooting around though I would choose a bag target. Morrells Targets are real nice. With many bag targets, pulling arrows is a two finger affair.