Weird Excalibur Forum Feature (Unwanted Too!)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

John Wade

Weird Excalibur Forum Feature (Unwanted Too!)

Post by John Wade »

This forum does something that I've never run into in others. I have a running search through Google and Yahoo looking daily for mention of my name (looking for copy right infringements). Posts I make on this forum are picked up. I don't like that. For me a forum is a private thing. I don't want it to be public knowledge what forums I belong to and what I'm posting.

I'm pretty sure this is an optional feature on forums, that is to be available to search engines. I'd like to get it turned off.
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Would it still show up if you didn't use your full name as your user name?
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

I'm not sure. I can't change my username though. I think the admin has to do that. Good point though.
www.johnwade.ca
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

One of my postings showed up like a neon light when I googled my name.
I would like to think that postings here are private,and only for the registered users to read,although one can click on here and not log in and still read anything they want.
That should be changed as much as the privacy of what we post,IMHO!
What say you Tom?
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

thats why we dont use our real names on here :lol: :D

get peter or someone to change it for ya;)
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

The Internet is PUBLIC. Intranet is PRIVATE. If you dont want the world wide web users to read what you say, then dont post it.
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

KYXbow wrote:The Internet is PUBLIC. Intranet is PRIVATE. If you dont want the world wide web users to read what you say, then dont post it.
Not precisely true. This does not happen on any other forums, I'm on. Nor does it happen on yahoo groups that choose to not publicly archive.
www.johnwade.ca
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

If your name is used on a public forum it will come up on a search engine. Our forum is very active and creates a lot of hits so any good search engine will find content which includes peoples names, its the nature of the beast. The internet can be a wonderful place but if you're a private person and don't want anybody to find your name, don't use it anywhere or it can be found.

Peter
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

John Wade wrote:
KYXbow wrote:The Internet is PUBLIC. Intranet is PRIVATE. If you dont want the world wide web users to read what you say, then dont post it.
Not precisely true. This does not happen on any other forums, I'm on. Nor does it happen on yahoo groups that choose to not publicly archive.
Hey man, at least your face and eyes are covered in your avatar pic!!!!