hunting instructor / dry fire...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chessy

hunting instructor / dry fire...

Post by chessy »

i am hereing alot on dryfireing a bow.... i was wondering what i could put in my hunting course if anything to stop people from doing it... i have a check list that i go thru before i even turn my saftey off... just wondering if there was a way i could prevent this from the furture
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Preventing a dry-fire is quite easy, you simply need to place an arrow on the rail prior to pulling the trigger. Unfortunately that isn't always the way it happens.
A member here once told me after about 5 dry-fires the best way is to use his dry-fire inhibitor, a piece of making tape on the inside of the limb with the words "ARROW DUMMY" written on it. Other than that there is no fool proof method.
Use a Dacron string, you won't do damage with a dry-fire.

There are 3 kinds of crossbow shooters:
Those who dry-fired and talk about it.
Those who dry-fire and don't talk about it.
And those who haven't dry-fired, YET.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

its really no way to prevent one.. you can tell people time and time again to check the bolt and make sure its in place. Usually a dryfire come sabout when someone cocks the bow and puts it down to do something else. Then picks it up to fire and its empty. Thats how it happened to me

best habit to get into is to always load the bolt right before getting a rest to shoot. That way you always put the bolt in place before shooting.

dryfires can happen to anyone.. I always laughed at those that did it wondering how could someone do that... 2 weeks later I did it myself LMAO :oops: :D
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I posted a note below my scope it states. CHK ARROW
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

My little note says: BOLT?
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

jh45 got it just right: NEVER, EVER let anything distract you when handling a weapon. Had an (expensive) dry fire myself by letting myself get distracted (answering a phone call).

Second thought on it: I have made it a habit to glance at my level and my rail before letting loose. So I know the crossbow is level and there's a bolt on the rail.

Greets

Rudi
Excalibur Phoenix
Flemish Fast Flight
TruGlo Tru Brite 1.5-5x32mm Illuminated
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Tricks 100 Grain 1 1/8