Looking to upgrade

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

If the bow is still shooting strong and taking game, then why bother? I would just upgrade the scope and put a Boo string on it.

I just bought my first xbow last October, an Exomax. I plan on shooting the Max until it dies, then try CPR. The new bows will not increase your effective range for hunting.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Digger

Post by Digger »

Your emag at least a 2000 bow, Excal went to mag tips in 2001.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Normous

Post by Normous »

UF,
My older carved tip exocet recieved new Mag tipped limbs. On top of that I machined and tapped a 1" riser extention for extra stoke then added machined angled riser shims to duplicate the new riser angle. Both from aluminum. She shoots like the newer style and did not cost me a cent to modify. Well, the Mag tips were factory paint seconds for maybe around $50. The newer dissapator bars covered everything at the business end.
Norm
PS, I'm thinking of selling my 1 year old Exomax 225lb/Varizone.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
hawg hunter

upgrade

Post by hawg hunter »

Bstout has the right idea
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

bstout wrote:I'd buy a new Excalibur Phoenix and keep the Emag for a back up.

The Phoenix has some interesting attributes.
Thats exactly what I did. I love my old carved tip exocet but I wanted a back up and I chose the Phoenix for its size and the string options the mag tips bring to the table.

Now if I could just find an excuse to buy another one! Any help from my forum brothers would be appreciated.
willyhuntsdeer

Post by willyhuntsdeer »

bstout wrote:I'd buy a new Excalibur Phoenix and keep the Emag for a back up.

The Phoenix has some interesting attributes.

yeah like the price :shock: that is if you buy the package deal through bowhunterssuperstore its just $499.95, its a great deal especially considering it comes with free shipping.

Last edited by willyhuntsdeer on Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Uncle fester if you are really attached to your mag just simply by magtip limbs .This way it allows you to use both dacron and fast flight strings like Boo`s .
Normous

Post by Normous »

UF
Call Peter at Excalibur, they have Mag tip paint blemish seconds for sale for guys like you who might want to upgrade. Very easy to swap!!

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Email Boo direct on pricing. His email is [email protected]

Depending on the type of string you want and the number of strands . . .anyway, I think the price may vary.

I tell you what . . .the FFF with 36 strands that I'm shooting/testing now is the best I've tried to date. It's still fast, but, the extra strands makes it smoother(less vibes), a tad bit slower than the 32 strand. I like the thicker string, it seems a bit more accurate. Probably because the contact between the nock and the string is a bit more solid. Ask for the HALO serving. I'm in the middle of testing it, however, it's wearing very, very well.

As far as the limbs go . . .follow Norm's advice and contact Peter.

You have a great bow. It reminds me of a saying about a guy with only one gun . . .show me a guy with one gun and I'll show you a guy that can shoot it.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

if its an excalibur why do you need 2 of them?
navaman

Post by navaman »

you know, my little vixen is quite a crossbow. i've done a lot of things to it. in fact my gunsmith has it now. he's putting a scope mount directly on the trigger housing. a very short one because i'm just using one wide ring on my aimpoint. anyway, what i'm trying to get at is this ; i wouldn't be afraid to take any north american game with it but God help me, I WANT AN EXOCET 200 SO BAD I CAN TASTE IT ! :oops:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
navaman

Post by navaman »

thanks for the kind words bstout. i have no doubt that i will buy that exocet but i'm waiting to see what's going to happen on a contract i'm bidding on. it would be a good one to get. this last job went a little over budget cause i just can't quit buying equipment for my crew. (they really deserve it.)
anyway i like your philosophy on life and i'm working towards that goal. where i can treat myself better than i ever have in my life. i know i'm gonna get there but God's not telling me when and that can be frustrating. :wink: :lol:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I am still debating on buying a vortex,but I would have to sell my vixen deluxe,I could not justify having 2 of them,the onl problem is the vixen has treated me well,but I do like the balance of the vortex.and the added power.dont know what to do,what would a vixen deluxe be worth including the scope package?going bear huntig in 2 1/2 wks,so I have to make my mind up soon.
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

I just recently upgraded to an emag from an older carved tipped exocet (1994 vintage). The emag I bought originally had carved limbs when it was purchased but the former owner had changed over to mag tips. I managed to upgrade after selling mine for a net cost of $100. Realistically though, I probably wouldn't have upgraded if I hadn't gotten such a great deal. My old exocet was still pretty effective. I had no complaints with it. I do like this new bow, though. Man does it seem to fast after shooting my old exocet. My old home made targets just don'have the back backbone to stop the bolts. My second shot when clear through the target.