Fletching Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Fletching Bolts

Post by Cossack »

Starting to get my ducks in a row for fletching bolts. Got my jig and Goat Tough glue, some practivce vanes, etc. Today the local shop let me know that finding a gue that works with carbon shafts isn't easy (including Goat Tough). I'd like to hear it from those who have actual experience on this topic.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have not had an issue with glue not sticking, I have used super glue, Bohning and Bohning platnum.
Shaft preperation is key, I sand mine with 220 then clean with Acetone.
Have fun!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

The easiest solution is "wraps" or painting with laquer. It seems like some shafts are just "glue resistant" :roll: :lol:
I've tried about all the pre-fletch prep methods and sometimes the glue just doesn't bond as well as it should. Wraps or laquer will almost always give a good surface to glue to, but I do clean the shafts with steel wool & acetone before applying the wraps or paint. Prepared that way even plain old "fletch-tite" glue works for me. I'm shooting arrows 2 or 3 years old and the fletching is still tight.
wabi
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

I tried a few brands, On my gt's I liked loctite gel the besr from lowes.

Good luck, Stosh
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Bohning has always worked for me.. my shafts I made and practiced with hundreds of times still are holding up good!

I tried some goat tuff yesteday and its bascially superglue. It has a strong bond, but takes a good while to dry which I dont like sime sometimes when I take the clamp off part of the vane will move which becomes a PITA since I have to clean and do them over.

I tried the AAE fastset gel and ive been happy with that

but again im putting my vanes on over wraps so all have stuck well
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Thanks guys. Good tips. Really appreciate your help.
diesel

Post by diesel »

I have had problems with every glue I've used except Goat Tuff. It has always worked well.
Last edited by diesel on Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

diesel wrote:I have had problems with ever glue I've used except Goat Tuff. It has always worked well.
I went back and checked and the goat tuff ones setup better. I also applied a little drop to the front of the vanes to make sure they dont come loose;)
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

i have had no trouble with Bohning glue or the Loctite gel, can not pull them off with pliers even on bare carbon. Clean them with acetone and they are good to go.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I guess I've been really lucky. I have always used Goat Tuff and have not had a problem. I refletched 6 bolts yesterday, just stripped off the old ones and used the AZ EZ to put on new ones. Within an hour I was shooting the newly fletched bolts with no issues. Maybe the problem is caused by cleaning the bolts.??
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I use the AAE Fastset gel, never had a problem with vanes coming loose. Don't use wraps though, I just wipe the shaft down with an alcohol wipe and then fletch them.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
ranger

Post by ranger »

Ive only used fletch-tite with no problems on alum and carbon.....
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I use that Bohning fleching glue with vanes & feathers on carbon with no problems.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Well, I dropped my bow while testing my first fletching outcome. As a result the bow shot high on the next shot....right trough a 5/8" cedar board and two chicken wire fences. One of the vanes was torn up, otherwise the bolt was unscathed. That Loc Tight gel is some fantastic stuff. And just $2.00 a bottle. Thanks for the tip Stash.
Andre Leblanc

Post by Andre Leblanc »

Clear the range! Cossack is firing!!!
just kidding, ah how far are you from Ontario? ...
Andre Leblanc
Canoe Builder/Owner
North Bay Canoe and Kayak
www.nbcanoe.com
Equinox w/Lumi-zone Scope