Long shots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Long shots

Post by Shakky »

For those shooting 330 fps or more. Have you taken a 40 yard shot and if so did it result in a clean kill? I have always held to 30-35 yards as my max. but I have been shooting a Vixen or Phoenix and now I'm shooting a Maxpoint/Paradox so I'm considering 40 yards as my max. Thoughts?
huntman

Post by huntman »

I have a mag 200 and have shot and killed cleanly at 40 yards. That is my limit i would not go over that.
tnxbowhunter

Post by tnxbowhunter »

i killed a young doe at 45 yards last season and it ran about 30 yards. the arrow was a clean pass through. i was shooting a exomax, carbon arrows, and a crimson cuda broadhead.
I have seen heaven and I was in a treestand.

Equinox 225 lb
Lumizone Scope
Crimson Cuda Broadheads
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Thanks guys.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

a friend of mine got excited oneday when a nice 8pt walked out at 50-55 yards and took a shot. He droppe dthe buck in its tracks mainly because he hit the deer in the spine. I do not promote anyone shooting over 40 yards, but it worked for him. My max range is 35 yards.. if I have a good rest and everything else is perfect ill go out to 45 yards. But I try my best to always have 10-15 yard shots with a 30yard max shot :lol:
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I practice out to 40 offhand, and an occasional 50 yard shot rested just in case that special buck does appear. However, all my shots were taken under 35 yards and I plan to keep it that way. Shooting a Vortex at an advertised 330 fps (closer to 315 actual) the bolt buries into a 16" foam target and well into the truck mudflap backing it at 40 hyards. I have no doubt that it would pass through on a double lung hit at that distance.