New Guy here.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dumbazz

New Guy here.....

Post by Dumbazz »

Just bought a new Phoenix package. Mainly a hardcore waterfowl and turkey hunting, but there are so many deer around here, I thought it would be another good "addiction". Well, after shooting for a few days, I can see that I am going to be addicted to this. I've got two antlerless deer permits for my area, so hopefully, I can find some success this fall.

My xbow has the varizone scope on it. I thought the dial was just for magnification. I had to put a new string on the bow, so I started at the 10 yard line. 10, 20 and 30 yards everything was fine. I dropped back to 40 yards and proceeded to drive 3 bolts into some 2x6 boards i was using as a backstop behind my target. It took me 3 bolts to realize that something was definitely wrong......hence my name!!!

After talking to the guys at the shop where I bought the bow, I learned that cranking the scope down to 250 would change the point of impact greatly. Oh well, I must admit I was very impressed with the penetration of the bolts into the 2x6's.

After cranking the scope back to the 305 mark, I seem to be back on track. These bows are so incredibly accurate. I just adjusted the scope a little further out on the rings, to give me better eye relief, so I will start at the 10 yard line again, to make sure things are still good.

A few questions though.

I made the bonehead mistake of dryfiring the bow already. I saw no damage and the bow still was shooting fine after, so I guess I am lucky. Is there anything else I should look for as far as damage goes, other then something obvious???

As a new string stretches, is the bow likely to change point of impact much????

How often does deck and string wax need to be applied???

I am using 2216 aluminum bolts, 100 grain field tips and 100 grain Muzzy broadheads.

I have lots of property to hunt, loaded with deer. Got 3 stands to set up, as well as I might set up a couple ground blinds. Also, going to put out some mineral blocks and deer cocaine. Might do the apple thing as well.

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions and dumbazz stories for you, but in the meantime, any thoughts or advice for a new guy?

Thanks a bunch.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

Welcome!

Is your username pronounced DOOM-oz? :D
Digger

Post by Digger »

Welcome! dumbazz

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Wellcome!!!

Matthias
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Welcome to the forum :wink:

question 1 - No The point of impact will change very little if at all . if it stays within the lines on the riser it will be ok .

question 2 - the string should be done when ever it starts to look dry . the deck only needs a light coating. Some people here use no lube on the rail .
wabi

Post by wabi »

Loved your story about the scope. Image

Dont worry, most of us have - Image

The Phoenix is a tough bow, the dryfire probably didn't hurt anything but your pride. I know my pride was shaken when I did it with my Phoenix, but the bow came through without any damage. (see - even those of us who have been around for some time still make mistakes)
wabi
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Well, I gotta be honest here.......I dry fired the thing again!!!!!! Cocked the bow, didn't load a bolt because I was making a scope adjustment, then fired. That is a horrible sound!!! Think I might order a extra set of limbs to have on hand!!!!!!! :shock:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You are trying real hard to live up to your screen name. :lol:

Welcome!

Keep your fingers below the railing while shooting. That looks more painful than a dry fire.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

Don't feel bad, I haven't done it since last summer. I severed a leg on a patio chair in the process. Some guys have put tape in the rear portion of their limbs with a message. Works for them! Stick to Dacron strings pal!Image
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Welcome dumbazz, you will fit right in.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
farmer54

Post by farmer54 »

Welcome. I am sure that you love the the Phoenix. I know that it is top of the line
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

I am here for your amusment!!!!! :D :D :D