Hunting Committment

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

marmot

Hunting Committment

Post by marmot »

This season, I am a committing myself not taking a buck unless it is three-and-half years old or older. Does anyone else on the forum practice quality deer management? If so, how does one sell this practice to the local community? From what I have seen, the guys who hunt archery and the guys who hunt with more than one weapon are a relatively easy sell. On the other hand, Joe Average Hunter, the guy who purchases a basic hunting license and only hunts our relatively short firearm season, seems like an impossible sell. My brother-in-law lives in PA, and while he griped and moaned about antler restrictions at first, they are starting to harvest large bucks.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

There are different types of management. If you are managing to feed the family, then raising bucks for "big racks" is a hard sell. If you are a farmer that has excessive crop damage, then taking only mature deer will not get this farmer interested in letting you hunt his property.

If you are hunting with a group of guys that would like a nice trophy, then they just need a little education. However, if you are hunting with a group of guys that have never taken a deer before . . .well, another hard sell.

Everyone has their own agenda for hunting. As long as they do it legally, then I'm good with that.

Try to find a group of folks that have the same ideas as you and enjoy the hunt.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
marmot

Post by marmot »

I am more concerned about bringing the herd back into balance than I am about big racks. Far too many local hunters are killing young bucks while allowing the doe population to explode. The buck-to-doe ratio is out of kilter to the point where one can harvest an unlimited number of does in many counties. In one local state park, the browse line is so prominent that even non-hunters notice it.
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Sumner, that's how I view it also. I will take 3 doe early or if that great buck comes along . But I am going to put meat in my freezer. It is a rare thing if my wife and I buy any beef or pork. Let me say this also, I hunt on a lease that is managed by the state. They tell us what we should shoot for better deer and every year it gets better. At first I was concern about letting the state doing this , but it has worked out great.

One more thing ,I don't just go hunting for doe and no bucks. It is just that we have to take between 30 and 45 doe a year so far. And a lot of the old hats want shoot them. So I take my meat and wait for my buck.
[img]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z123/Polecat_2007/Jesus_the_Shepherd012.jpg[/img]
GOD IS THE GOOD SHEPHERD HE KNOWS THOSE
WHO KNOW HIM
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

marmot . . .sounds like you might need to shoot mature does to decrease the population a little. Those big bucks need plenty to eat. There may be too much competition for food.

I read several articles about recognizing the mature bucks and managing them. I like that theory. However, your deer herd must be properly maintained. I'm not sure that's what you are looking at accomplishing.

I'm hoping that the state has the limits and type of animals that need to be harvested correct. Therefore, all we hunters need to do is go out and fill our tags. However, every square mile is a little different.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
diesel

Post by diesel »

Heard management.
That is a good one. My brother and I were just talking about that. We live here in Ohio. We both think it would be great if the DNR made it so you could only shoot bucks every other year. One year everyone has to shoot a doe the next you could shoot a doe or buck.
Now I'm sure their are a lot that will not like this. What if it's my sons first deer. Well I have a son too and he might as well learn about deer management early. If I wanted him to shoot a buck I would have to buy a tag for him on a buck or doe year.
I come from a very large family this year we all put money in to a hat the largest scoring buck gets the money. Not much money but it might make some think and hold off, maybe not.
Just my two cents.
Last edited by diesel on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

The beat goes on.

Time to get out the popcorn. :wink:
Grizz
marmot

Post by marmot »

sumner4991 wrote:marmot . . .sounds like you might need to shoot mature does to decrease the population a little. Those big bucks need plenty to eat. There may be too much competition for food.
I never said that I was not going to take does. I plan to harvest as many does as I can within our regional limit structures.

Doe, it's what's one the menu! :)
marmot

Post by marmot »

diesel wrote:Herd management.
That is a good one. My brother and I were just talking about that. We live here in Ohio. We both think it would be great if the DNR made it so you could only shoot bucks every other year. One year everyone had to shoot a doe the next you could shoot a doe or buck.
Our DNR is working hard at getting hunters to take does. We must take at least one antlerless deer before taking a second antlered deer. However, seeing that most firearm hunters harvest, at most, one deer (like most states, the bulk of our harvest occurs during firearms season), this policy is ineffective. Maybe we should have a year where one must harvest an antlerless deer before being allowed to take an antlered deer?