Crossbow hunting on the rise?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Crossbow hunting on the rise?

Post by TPM »

There was a time not long ago when you hardly saw an ad for a crossbow in a magazine. In the latest Ontario Out of Doors Hunting Annual Excalibur, Tenpoint, Horton and Barnett all have full page crossbow ads.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
wabi

Post by wabi »

I think you'll see more and more states following the trend to include crossbows in "archery" season. They offer a great alternative way to launch arrows to anyone not physically capable of handling a heavy hunting bow (physically challenged, youngsters, women, and a lot of men without a "macho" attitude). As more hunters have a chance to see and handle them a lot of the fiction and myths associated with them will soon fade away.
Let's face it - they DO offer the advantage of holding the string at full draw. A 10 year old kid can shoot the same poundage bow as a bodybuilder if they can get it cocked, and with a crank about anyone can get the string latched. Perhaps the range & accuracy isn't any better than a modern compound, but the crossbow will fit a wide range of "body styles".
If we want to see the pro-hunting sentiment grow (or at least hold it's own) we'd better be promoting the advantages of the crossbow to a lot of perspective new hunters.
I've been including my son (now 7 years old) in a lot of my hunts for the past year or so. He wants to hunt, so I plan on letting him shoot the crossbow a good bit next summer. If he proves to be a good shot, I'll get him an "apprentice" license and let him experience hunting first hand.
I think one more season (this season) of tagging along and learning the ethics and responsibilities of a hunter should have him prepared to give it a try.
wabi
navaman

Post by navaman »

you're absolutely right in all you say wabi. i was talking to DJH the other day and he said another way of promoting the crossbow is starting clubs and associations statewide if possible. if my crazy carrer choice ever lets me settle down in one place i'm going to try kicking off the "Texas Crossbowmen Association" for a number of different reasons. if anyone from texas is reading this and feels motivated don't wait for me. go ahead and get the ball rolling. you'd be able to count on my support.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."