Switching BH's and researching-help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Post by Boo »

I've heard a similar Urban Myth but this guy stepped back and cut a vein in above his ankle and bled to death. Personally when I cut myself shaving it smarts!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
exocet200hunter

Post by exocet200hunter »

The only concern I would have would be with a mech broadhead, I had 100 &125 Spitfires and while shooting into my block target the blades actually came off and lodged in the target somewhere !!! That's why I won't shoot NAP broadheads !!!
But for a fixed broadhead I think your over exadirating a little bit. Most of the time your going to get a total pass through. I worry about some stupid thing's as'well but for broadhead's I wouldn't worry about that. I'm guessing the story your friend told you " if true " is 1 in a million, think about it what is the first thing you do after you shoot a deer ? Look at your arrow -right, so if you do have a blade missing you would think you would be extra carefull anyway's, now if you didn't have a pass through then you should be carefull but the first thing your going to look for is the arrow anyway's, so out of all respect -Don't worry about it, the only time you do have to worry about it is when you don't get a pass through, So till then take it easy and worry about it when it happen's.
-Matt
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've been shooting Wasp JakHammers for 6 or 7 years now. Don't really know the exact number of deer I've shot with them, probably 8 or 10. Never lost a deer with a 1¾" cut JakHammer, and never broke or lost a blade. The only point I've ruined was last year when it hit a rock after it went through the deer. I believe if they hadn't stuck in the ground after going through the deer they would still be sharp!
For target practice you can tie the blades closed with dental floss to see how they will shoot from your bow. I've shot then that way, then shot them without being tied closed and they shoot to the same point. If you do tie them closed and shoot them, be sure to clean them carefully & thoroughly when finished. Little bits of foam end up in the blade slots sometimes.
The only extra attention they need being shot from the crossbow is double-band them! As far as I can tell it doesn't hurt performance a bit.

And I have cut myself field dressing a deer! Not from the broadhead, but from getting in a hurry with a sharp knife. Not serious, but it does pay to keep a good first-aid kit in your hunting pack, and know how (and when) to use it! Luckily I've had a few good first-aid courses over the years. Had to use my skills last week when I tried to rip the end off a little finger by smashing it between a steel dumpster and a porcelain commode. Grabbed an old diseased paper towel and wrapped it up, then applied pressure with electrical tape. Hey, it might not be up to ER standards, but I didn't bleed to death! :lol: :lol: :lol: Matter of fact, it looked so un-professional the nurse at the clinic handed me the scissors and made me cut it off. Guess she was afraid of a little dirt? :roll:
wabi
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

I wouldn't give much thought to that story OwnerITO. Could it happen? Yes. Almost everthing is possible. Your biggest concern as stated earlier is cutting yourself with your knife when field dressing your deer. That is how most hunters SEVERELY cut themselves. As far as the Wasp broadheads go I only started using them last year and killed two deer with no problems. I have used many different replacable style broadheads over the years including Savoras, Sattelites, Thunderheads, Muzzys and now Wasp and after killing 30 plus deer with archery equipment I have never seen a blade come out of the furrel of a broadhead.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.