52 yard shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

new paradox

Post by new paradox »

We always read about the long shots and how the guy got it.Maybe some of you guys shouldn't be so quick to jump on the person.My GPS showed my kill at 70 yards last season.I was walking down the road makeing more noise then a barrel full of rocks rolling down the hill when I say the rack over the willows.He was just stanting there looking at me,so I dropped my gear watched him for close to a minute through my scope.He just stood there,so I slowed down the fps on my scope to compensate for the distance(practiced at home)and let it fly.Hit right where I was aiming,as my Paradox allways does,down he went.Was I perfect heart shot and the arrow went clean through,hung up in the willows behind.I live in the country so I can pull my bow out anytime.Wind,rain,sunny or dim,they even opened my back yard up for bows but the three deer in my garden are safe at any distance.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

new paradox

This thread has been a civil discussion, partly about long range shots, and also including butt shots. Sometimes folks get heated in their discussion, but it didn't happen here.

I happen to think it's a good idea to challenge every person who describes having seen or made a longish shot. The LAST thing archery hunting needs is for persons who lack the skill to be taking overly long shots. We don't need more game animals running around with arrows hanging out of them. We don't need lost and wasted game.

That will happen though, if we develop a careless attitude. We all need to be worried about and conscious of our equipment and skill limitations. If WE don't worry about it, the Anti-hunters will, and they will start making the rules.

You indicated that you made a 70 yard kill last season. I realize that for you to use a GPS to guage distance is likely not nearly as accurate as a laser ranger finder. You may have been quite a bit closer than 70 yards. In any event, even if your bow fires a bolt at 300 fps, it would take about 7/10 of a second for the bolt to travel from your bow to the deer.

In one second, a deer travelling merely 4 miles per hour would travel about 6 feet. In 7/10 of a second that is reduced to about 4 feet. At a 70 yard distance, a sudden step forward could change a perfect chest shot into a gut shot.

It's not just an issue of being able to hit a stationary target at long distance. There is a big concern of the target REMAINING stationary.

Good luck on your hunt this year.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

OK..

I'm a 40 yard maximum shot on deer hunter. I've killed a handful at that distance with both a crossbow, compound and recurve.

The recurve shot was when I was younger and dumber. :oops:

However, in late October this year I will be hunting moose in Alberta.

What do you think the maximum yardage shot on a moose should be?
Thanks in advance for your answers...

WW
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Woody

The kill zone on a moose is at least double the size of a deer. They are not as nimble as a deer. They are big and strong enough that they don't have to be as paranoid as a deer.

However, don't for a moment think that they have poor hearing or olefactory, or aren't capable of being fast on their feet. I wouldn't put money on a deer out running a moose.

So, if you could get a shot at one that was in a non alerted state, you could stretch your range beyond where you might give up on a deer. Your scope is marked to 50 yards, I presume, and with my Exomax I would shoot confidently within that range.

That's presuming no cross wind, a stationary, relaxed animal-- otherwise, I wouldn't take it. One step would change a clean kill into a gut-shot tracking nightmare.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Woody, if I remember right you shoot an Exomax. I'd say 50 yards. Same reasons as Hi 5.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Guys . . .you are a ethical hunter if you can truthfully say these two statements.

1. I absolutely hate seeing an animal wounded.
2. Nobody hates to lose an animal more than I do.

I don't think there is a member here that shoots for fun without regard for the animal he/she is shooting. Therefore, we are ethical hunters.

However, the ethics monster rears its ugly head when we are hunting and the game we seek is slightly out of our range. You ask yourself,"Do I shoot that shot at 35 yards when all I've ever been practicing is a max of 30 yards?" "No", should be the answer without even asking yourself the question.

But, it's human nature to want to take that shot. Just like in every sport you played as a kid . . .trying to hit the homerun in baseball and striking out when there was no way you were strong/big enough to hit it over that fence. Trying the 3 pointer in basketball when there was no way the ball would make it to the goal much less go in. Trying to hit a golf ball 345 yards to be on the green in one on that difficult par 4 hole.

Biggest problem in all sports is playing within yourself. That means if your best shot in basketball is a 10 footer, then don't try a 20 footer. If your longest tee shot in golf is 240 yards, then don't try a 300 yard swing. Sure, try them all you want in practice. Just don't try them in the real game until you have mastered them in practice.

Hunting and golf are very similar. It's much easier to hit the shot at the range, target practicing. Much harder to make the shot in the field because the shot is different. A 60 yard shot at the range is nice and level, you have a good lie/stance. In the field, you are on unlevel ground, different angles and yardage issues(is that 60 yards or 57). Anyway, it's different . . .much easier to hit the target at the range. For hunting . . .you also have a target that can actually move.

Therefore, for hunting, you need to be an expert at the range before "practicing" in the field. I say practicing because there is no way you can transition into the field without being a "green" hunter. Those first few hunting trips are truely practice.

Staying within your limits is the key to success.

Personally, I am confident up to 50 yards. Given a good opportunity at 50 yards I would take it without question. My longest crossbow shot has been 25 yards. My longest compound bow shot was 40 yards.

Woody . . .stick to your limits regardless of the animal. Your self imposed limits. If you feel good with a 40 yard shot on that moose and uncomfortable with a 45 yards shot, then limit yourself to 40 yards. When it's time to pull the trigger, you need to feel confident because you are actually pulling that trigger. Not a forum member. Wish I were going with you . . .that should be awesome. Have fun!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crowe

Post by crowe »

The only thing I have to say is if you are taking the time to be critical of another hunter you are not taking the time to fight the antis. Remember we are all on the same team. Congrats to the guy on the 52 Yard shot.