1st "walk-about "outside of town and some pic's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

1st "walk-about "outside of town and some pic's

Post by R.J. »

Monday Sept 17th ... No decent wild animal photo opportunity's yet ...

Snapped a couple of quick frames on the way into the city today ...

Man , I feel like a fish out of water in the city ! .... can hardly wait to get back to Canada and start chasing Whitetails !

This the the only wild bird I could get a picture of .... yep , they guard statues here as well ! :lol: :lol:

I did see 4 cock bird Pheasants in field and a white IBIS ... I took a mental note of the area and will try to get back there on the weekend ...

It's 5:05 am Monday Sept 17th .... been awake since 3:30 am ... my sleep patterns are a little out of wack since landing on Saturday ... getting ready to go to work ....

Page break ... fast forward to Saturday Sept 22nd ...

Been working out of Toyota City all week = long hot days ... Got weekend off so I headed outside of town today ...

My 175-300mm lens is pooched ( got damaged during travel = wont focus or extend ? ) so all I've got with me is my 50-200 ...

Different country but similar activities = the local small field operation farmers are hard at the harvest of rice and grain ... ( much smaller scale then what we are use to at home ) .

They gather and tie sheaths , and spread compost by hand ...

On past trips I've been able to get some pictures of Pheasants , so I searched all over for a Pheasant photo op ... but even though I've seen them in fields driving by , I haven't been able to get the lens on one yet ...

Lots of White Cranes / White Ibis in the fields ....

Walked by one field that they were stripping with a small row cutter ..

Other fields have been stacked by hand ...

Checking out the field edges , which is usually where I have seen Pheasants in the past , but none today ...

Lots of " Yellow Legs " birds .... they look like small pigeons , blend in pretty well until they fly and display a flash of white underside wing , tail and side plumage ...

I watched these guys gulping down what looked to be large grasshoppers at a distance .... and could see small black forms jumping in the field as the birds walked thru ....

But all I could find was 100's of these little guys .... I didn't think birds ate toads ... maybe a Japanese bird snack !!

Started heading towards town ... some fields getting groomed ...

At one point I spotted a Praying Mantis on a vine ... but when I went to focus on him he flew away ...

Looked up in time to see him settle on a bush ...

Watched him preening for awhile ... looked like he was getting ready to settle into an ambush spot ...

Right after this frame he jumped forward and landed on my arm ... next thing I know he's walking around my neck line ....

I brushed him off and he headed down the trail ...

Closer to town , I came apon another guy taking pictures of flowers near a drainage ditch .... he didn't speak any English ( Imagine that ! ... and his lens was bigger than mine :lol: , so I didn't stay to chat ! ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure what kind of flowers they are ... but cooling looking none the less ...

Farther down the ditch I came to a small one lane bridge ... some decent size carp in that spot ! .... " Mental Note " = pick up a fishing pole !!

Crossed the big bridge heading back into town and noticed some people fishing along the river ....

Worked my way thru a maze of bamboo ...

And got a couple of cool shots along the river ...

Where the water opened up there was action as well ....

I'm guessing I'm not the only one that has though of making a bamboo pole ! ...

A cool looking spider under the bridge and I flag a taxi down for a ride back to the hotel ....

" Good Luck " to all that head out to the Waterfowl opener on Sept 25th , and the Whitetail opener on October 1st .... I'll still be trying to get a decent Pheasant shot here !
Last edited by R.J. on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
CH

Post by CH »

looks interesting rick email me witch email to contact you with safe trip don't work to hard this will be the first in about 10 yrs we didn't hunt the opener together i'll be eating peameal and eggs for ya cheers heimy :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Keep the pics coming, it will be like a vacation for those of us stuck at home. :lol:
wabi
Greylag

Japan

Post by Greylag »

Hurry back R.J.

Miss you already.

V.A.
Wishing all of you the wind at your back,
Good friends by your side,
and a lifetime of adventures ahead.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

PS : Heard someone say before I left , there were some extended deer season opportunities , but haven't found anything on the net ....

Does anybody know if WMU80 has extended season ?

Also ... anybody got a firm date on the Conestoga Lake GRCA Pheasant opener ?
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
BUCKSHOT

Hey R.J

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I hope your trip is going well for you. It is good to hear you got some time to yourself to explore.
I finally remembered you needed a proper address for the archery season revision.
http://publicdocs.mnr.gov.on.ca/View.as ... t_ID=26597
Your season is extended.
Have a good day! :D
Enjoy the Harvest!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Great pictures as always. Hope you have a great trip.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Awesome pictures!!!!!!!!!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks guys ....

It's 8:30 am Sunday morning in Japan that mean it's 7:30 pm Saturday night for you guys = some of you will be just heading home from the field ...

I'm heading to breakfast soon and then going to rig up some fishing gear and go after those carp ! ... Should be some fun !

Greylag / CH : Will see you guys soon enough ... how's the crops looking ?

Frank : Thanks for the MNR link .... looking forward to hooking up with you guys for a few days to chase those Manitoulin " hollow hairs " !

Rest of you .... Good Luck , have fun , and " Safe Hunting " ...
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

It's just about 3:00 pm Sunday in Japan .... Just got back from my attempt to catch a Carp .... Seen lots of carp cruising , but no takers .... they were very spooky ... ever time a bird flew over and cast a shadow they would scatter .... still cool to get out and spend the afternoon away fro the city hub ....

My legs got pretty scratched up scooting thru the cover along the river ...

Many White Cranes in the fields along the river ...

Fished this guy out of the creek flats .... something had gnawed his back end off = a tasy meal for some critter !

A Mantis landed on the branch in front of me ( this frame he hasn't even got his wings folded back in yet ... )

Got a close up shot .... man they got got some buggy eyes !

Worked my way down to the next bridge , to an area loaded with those cool flowers I saw yesterday .... looked them up on the net ... they are , Higanbana (spider lily) .