Accuracy Of Broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

reeler

Accuracy Of Broadhead

Post by reeler »

I have a Pheonix x-bow. I am using the Wasp broadheads and field tips that came with my scoped "right stuff pkg". some have told me i gotta sight in with a broadhead to test my bows accuracy.

i thought the whole idea with practicing with 100gr field tips then using 100gr broadheads was that you wouldn't have to do that.

is that broadhead going to fly that much different?

if anyone has tested their Pheonix with a field tip vs broadhead......curious to know how much it dropped, if any!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sometimes B'Heads don't hit exactly where field pts. hit. So Its always a good practice to shoot a B'head that you plan on hunting with to see if its shooting where you aim. Then you can adjust if needed. I always check mine and always will.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Sometimes you get lucky and your broadheads will hit where your feild points do, other times they may hit an inch low, or 2 inches right.. What is important is that they fly consistant, that allows you to make proper adjustments.
Good luck!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bheads dont fly the same normally because they are either wider or longer than the fieldpoints you use. Which throws the balance slightly forward which will normally cause the bolt/arrow to hit a inch or 2 lower. Or the blades on the head catch the wind and cause the bolt to drift right or left. Fieldpoints are so small in size that wind and other factors dont bother them, espically at longer distances. I only practice with bheads around the last 2 weeks before season starts.

be best 2 heads ive tested that fly try to fieldpoints are the rage and slicktrick heads...
bj

Post by bj »

crazyfarmer wrote:bheads dont fly the same normally because they are either wider or longer than the fieldpoints you use. Which throws the balance slightly forward which will normally cause the bolt/arrow to hit a inch or 2 lower. Or the blades on the head catch the wind and cause the bolt to drift right or left. Fieldpoints are so small in size that wind and other factors dont bother them, espically at longer distances. I only practice with bheads around the last 2 weeks before season starts.

be best 2 heads ive tested that fly try to fieldpoints are the rage and slicktrick heads...
change to the slicks...screw em' on, balance the head with the washer and go...these heads shoot consistently with the field points out past 40 yards...

bj........
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

I shoot the exact same package. Phoenix, 2216, Wasp Boss 3 blades.

I had to tune my bow a bit to get them hitting better. They DID NOT shoot the same as the field points.
I come by my name honestly.
reeler

Post by reeler »

Thanks for the input guys! but what do you fire your broadheads into??????
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I am still using the broadheads that came with my bow as well. They hit about 1/4 inch low at 25 yards from where the field points do. Not even enough to change the scope. It would make a bigger difference at longer distance, but being my first year with archery equipment, it's 25 yards or closer only.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

BigTiny wrote:I am still using the broadheads that came with my bow as well. They hit about 1/4 inch low at 25 yards from where the field points do. Not even enough to change the scope. It would make a bigger difference at longer distance, but being my first year with archery equipment, it's 25 yards or closer only.
just turn the scope setting 1 click and it will be dead on.. :lol: