New Brass Inserts for GT L2s - better?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

aerostarp

New Brass Inserts for GT L2s - better?

Post by aerostarp »

Just curious - it seems like all you can get from places now is the GT L2 bolts with the brass inserts. I had been told that the guys that make up the arrows don't use aluminum inserts anymore.

What has been your experience comparing the aluminum to the brass inserts? Do you find it better? My experience has been arrows travel slower, more arcing trajectory (hits about 6" below the aluminum) and not necessarily more accurate. Is everyone convinced that they are better? Supposedly controls broadhead flight better with the forward FOC.

Are the new Easton Firebolts supplied with brass or aluminum inserts? Do 4" Duravanes or 2" Blazer vanes control them both equally well?

Sorry for all the questions - I am new to the Crossbow. Thanks, Wayne
Rich

Post by Rich »

Aerostarp,

My accuracey increased immensely. My overall groups with 6 arrows dropped to under 1/2 inch at 20 yards. Also, with the aluminums I had to adjust slightly with my Wasp Boss BH's, now they shot exactly as my field tips.

Rich
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I could not imagine shooting aluminum again.
Shooting tonight to run a new string in a heavy wind, with Field points all my fletching are touching at 50 yards. With aluminum I would still be out the looking for my arrows.
A small speed loss in trade of huge confidence.
All the rumors you hear about broadheads flying good with a decent FOC are true.
Have fun! It is fairly inexpensive to simply get some of both to try yourself. If you would like to try some aluminum attached to some decent directions just shoot me a PM.. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

My broadhead groups improved considerably with the brass inserts. That is my fixed blade Muzzy 100s. I didn't notice any difference with target points. TC
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm using Beman Thunderbolts w/aluminum inserts and they fly just as well, if not better than the GT 2's with brass inserts. I shoot both side by side when target practicing with 100 gr field points and I see little difference as far as accuracy goes(not a lot of difference in speed either). I also have some GT 2's with aluminum . . .they are faster, a little louder with some extra vibes, but also very accurate. I'm shooting the Bemans because they have a better feel than the GT's and they group better. However, when I say they group better, I'm talking a 1/4 inch better or less at 30 yards. Either of these combinations work very well if you have a straight bolt.

The main thing is to pick your set-up and shoot it enough to become very confident in it. There's a lot of things to consider when trying to tighten your groups. Brass inserts might help a little, but, they are not a cure all. There were a couple of really good threads from about 8 months ago about this . . .might want to try a search.

**EDIT . . .try this link . . .
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... oting+tips
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I also use the Bemans.They are heavier them the GT's without the brass and they are cheaper out here.They do seem to wiegh in more equall also,as I have had some wieght difference in the GT.I keep my bolts wieght atleast 430 grains with the Beman's and a 100 grain tip.I useully group them on a target and number them so I know where they like to fly.Try it and you will see,the same arrow will go left and the same will go right.
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Bstout wrote:
Wayne: You didn't mention the conditions you're shooting under; i.e. indoors or outside/high crosswind/rain?
Are you using feathers or plastic fletching?
I am shooting outdoors in good weather conditions behind my house. I have used 5" and 4" duravanes, blazers (2") and tried some of my left-over Quik Spin vanes (4"). When the bolts lose their inserts I replaced some of them with aluminum ones I had. Was getting some really good groups but did not think the brass inserts were really beneficial overall. I tried to increase the FOC to as much as 20 as per Mattias and that was no great shakes either. Wayne
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Bstout wrote in another thread:
Less FOC will cause your groups to open up (scatter left/right and up/down) especially when shooting through a crosswind. Too much FOC will cause premature drop (increased trajectory) but groups will remain tighter in a high crosswind. Same as there are no magic arrows there is no magic FOC figure.

The circumstances that exist (wind speed and direction) when shooting make a big difference in terms of flight stability even when shooting at short distances.

Many FOC debates have insufficient information. What direction is the wind coming from? What is the wind speed? At what angle are you shooting through the wind? (with it or against it). It all plays a part as to where your arrow will hit. FOC plays a big part in terms of repeatability under real life situations.

On a calm day shooting over level terrain your set up can be much less than desirable. You'll probably not notice. Under adverse conditions everything becomes much more critical including FOC.

Target practicing indoors or on a calm day is a good place to start but a bad place to finish. Practicing under dynamic conditions (high crosswind) will give you information you didn't previously have.

Your groups will remain relatively unchanged under all conditions if your arrow in its entirety is matched to your bow (A high draw weight bow needs a heavy arrow).

FOC is a small part of a huge equation. Every part of the equation matters.
All excellent advice. I guess I will have to do some "dynamic testing". Also I am using a strong Right Helical Twist on my vanes, including the Blazer - I don't know what effect that might have but it seems to guide better (other than slow down the bolt a little).

With these GT L2s falling apart like they do I am probably going to switch to Beaman Thunderbolts - people seem to like these and try some Slick Trick Magnum 100s on them. Can I use the moon nocks on them or do I have to file them down which I am hesitant to do? Wayne