Successful Hunt - Exciting New Experience

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

aerostarp

Successful Hunt - Exciting New Experience

Post by aerostarp »

Just got back from a 3 day hunt in Northern Pa. Took a nice doe out of the Doghouse Ground Blind from Ameristep. Never used a ground blind before. Was able to set up a chair (collapsible type for the lawn) and sit back and relax. Plenty of room for the Excalibur. Had many deer come by and never knew I was in there and only set it up the day before.

Shot the doe through the mesh window at maybe 6 yards making it my first crossbow kill. Then the fun began. :cry: I told the story about FS Archery sending me the wrong broadheads - they sent me the Wasp Boss BULLET 100gr. with 1" cutting diameter instead of the Wasp Boss (1 + 1/8 ") It was a perfect hit (how could you miss) through the screen and double lunged it BUT: 1) the doe ran for almost 250 yds. before lying down and dying and 2) there was hardly any blood trail to follow. Fortunately the 2 guys I hunt with are blood-hounds and we found it about 45 minutes later.

My 2 questions are: (A) has anyone had similar experience with the Wasp Boss BULLET 100gr. on game and is the Wasp Boss 100 gr. much better?
(B) has anyone had RECENT further experience with shooting mechanicals through the screens and out to how far are they accurate? Is the Rage 2 blade better for shooting through screens because of it's cam type opening system and how do they fly?

I am using GT Gold tip L2s with the brass inserts but with them coming apart on me I am thinking of switching. Thanks, Wayne
Rich

Post by Rich »

Wayne,

I've always heard "do not" shot mechanicals through mesh screens it will cause them to deploy. I've had similar experience with the smaller diameter broadheads not leaving much of a blood trail, they always ended with the same result though, meat in the freezer.

Rich
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Aerostarp ...

Your problem with a bloodtrail was more likely caused by your being on a horizontal plane with the doe ... no low exit hole can mean not much of a bloodtrail. It happens sometimes, but it happens more often when deer are shot standing on the same plane as you, or slightly above you.
Grizz
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Grizzly Adam is right, with the shot even though it might be a double lung the whole cavity has to fill up before the blood can come out the whole. while in a tree stand the arrow goes in higher then it comes out leaving less room for the cavity to fill up.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Interesting point. I had thought about that concept of the chest having to fill up first but in actuality there just was not that much in the chest cavity. Seems to make sense though.

Thanks for the responses. Wayne
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Wayne, many here have switched from the GTL2's for that reason. I couldn't put up with mine and switched last season.

Maybe GT has it figured out by now.

Jay
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Hi J:

What are most of you switching to? Easton Powerbolts? How about the new Easton Firebolts and where can you buy them?

Thanks, Wayne
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Wayne, I went back to shooting aluminum, and it's workin for me.

Don't know about everyone else.

Good luck.

Jay