Bush or Field edge

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cubb

Bush or Field edge

Post by cubb »

Hey guys, i've been a member here for a while but haven't been on much. There are alot of small trails leading out into a bean field from a bush, i've seen lots of deer back in this little corner, there are railway tracks on the edge of the field. Just wondering if i should be setting the stand up on the field edge or in the bush on one of the trails? Traveling or feeding? Thanks guys.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i'd follow the trail back in the woods about 50-75 yards and setup there since most big bucks will hold their untill dark, and then enter the field. Espically in the early season. Now during the rut, a big one might walk out in wide open daylight. If you are seeing deer there in daylight hours then by all meanms hang the stand there. But I have a seeing you will see more sooner if you move back into the woods. Ive always had better luck in the woods than fields. You may see more deer in the field, but usually they are to far. In the woods its normally up close and personally;)
cubb

Post by cubb »

Ok thanks for the advice. I have a stand set up about 500 yards away from this corner where i've been seeing deer, but it's between two bushes, more or less a funnel area. But i think i might try and put this one in the bush. Last year about the time when corn comes off, we were combining back in this same corner and saw a huge buck with the does out in the field? But he probably took those trails to get there!!
cubb

Post by cubb »

any other suggestions
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

cubb wrote:any other suggestions
not that it helps, but just keep in mind that most big bucks dont walk the well used trails.. they are usually 10-15 yards off them in thicker brush. Ive never killed a good buck walking on a trail I was setup to hunt. They always came from behind me or in a different direction. Now doe walk them like clockwork LOL
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

crazyfarmer wrote:
cubb wrote:any other suggestions
. Now doe walk them like clockwork LOL
Which could get you a buck when the rut is on!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Esox

Post by Esox »

In general most good bucks will try to scent an area before travelling through it... That's often why they aren't seen on the main trail... This isn't only for security but for sex too.... They can smell a hot doe from a long way off so walking down wind of a trail makes it easier for him to see who's around....That's why we often see them trying to circle an area to keep the wind in there face....

Of course, a lot depends how much pressure there is on the deer... If they've been left alone then a buck will feel more confortable walking through a well traveled area. However still not typically on the main trail. Usually he will be downwind of the trail though, even if it's only a very short way off, so don't set you stand up right on a main trail but 30-40 yds downwind (Note the dominant wind direction in your area) also, place you stand where you can get in and out without spreading you scent across the deer trails... And most importantly if the wind is wrong DON"T hunt it, you'll most likely end up allerting the deer and there're tough enough without helping them.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great thread!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I prefer the fild edge becasue you can see more. i.e. see a deer 100 yards away and set up an ambush. Sitting inside the woods I just find you see less. Thye still will come down the trail though.

F
cubb

Post by cubb »

I've seen most of the bucks around field edges with 4 or 5 does. But the only reason i've seen them in the field is because that's where i've always been set up. This is my second year hunting, last year shot a small buck in this general area that was posted in the first post. I have never been set up in the bush. This bush is very thick as well, very hard to see anything right now with the leaves on. We are going out tonight to set this stand up, get in and get out quick. Thanks for the advise and knowledge.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

It just depends on where you live, and what the terrain is like. Some things are always true in general, but the specifics of your situation may be different. For instance: We hunt a lot of trails, farm roads, clearings and fields around here because much of the woods and brush is too thick to hunt in ... no joke. There's a lot if it so thick you can't see three feet in front of you ... can't even see if you're up in a tree. Deer snake through that stuff with relative ease, but much of it is almost impossible for a man to walk through.

In terrain like that, your best chance at a big buck is about the same as your best chance at any deer ... finding a likely area big enough that they might cross it or pop out on it's edge. Thus the beloved "bean-field" rifle ... a tool that gives you a chance to even the score a little after the frequent frustrations of bow season! Nothing unusual about shooting 300 yards + here. But then again, in a 4000 acre field, that isn't so far!

Everything is relative! :D

We even engineer deer movement by bush-hogging paths and cuts through the thick stuff, much like Texas "senderos" ... and believe me, bucks fall right there in the great wide open when the thick stuff is too thick ... it's a waiting game. Even a wiley old buck will take the path of least resistance when the resistance is significant ... sometimes! You just need to be there at that time! :wink:

Most likely, you'll see more action in the woods. In my situation, I'd only hear more action in the woods!
Grizz
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

crazyfarmer wrote:i'd follow the trail back in the woods about 50-75 yards and setup there since most big bucks will hold their until dark, and then enter the field. Especially in the early season. Now during the rut, a big one might walk out in wide open daylight. If you are seeing deer there in daylight hours then by all means hang the stand there. But I have a feeling you will see more sooner if you move back into the woods. Ive always had better luck in the woods than fields. You may see more deer in the field, but usually they are to far. In the woods its normally up close and personally;)
Good advice!
TYE

Post by TYE »

After reading this thread I think I have a bit of a trick up my sleeve for this year.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Bob: You'd like it down here!

You'd have a blast hunting our "bresh" ... it's T-TH-THI-THICKERER than THICK!

You could use a short spear or a knife in some of it, 'cause you're not going to see anything any farther away than that! :D

The 600 lb. bears slipping around in there add variety, too!
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

cubb wrote: This bush is very thick as well, very hard to see anything right now with the leaves on
the deer think the same way;) the thicker the better for them since they can hide. Espically the big old bucks.. Eevery decent buck ive killed one a field has been so close to dark you can just barely see. But most of the bucks I kill in the woods are a good 30mins or more before sunset so you get a much better shot chance in goodlight. I just like close shots.. Having a huge buck at 7 yards with a bow is a rush LOL.. on field edges I always see them 150-300 yards off and I just get mad cause I can see the deer but im to far to do anything :lol: