Who says you can't quiet down a crossbow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Who says you can't quiet down a crossbow?

Post by Pydpiper »

Slid home for some lunch between appointments today only to find a new Boo string in the mailbox! I have heard about these XCEL strings with Halo servings so I figured I would have to try one, Don actually took the time to serve on some cat whiskers for it too.
Never been a big fan of things on my strings, but I shot it anyways. I can not believe how quiet the whiskers have made the bow, I ended up switching strings back to my FFF then to a Dacron again just to make sure I am not hearing things, so my quick stop for lunch has now resulted being very late for my next appointment. :oops:
The string cost me about 2-3 FPS of speed to the FFF but has made the bow significantly quieter than a good Dacron string.
I am going to dig out my Db Meter tonight and figure out exactly what kind of noise reduction this is, but to my ears it is like a dream come true, my crossbow is actually quiet. I got that silly grin back I used to get when I shot the bow as it was new.
Cat whiskers work, it's not a myth. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Pydpiper,
Once you have shot one of the Whisker Boo Strings you will probably not want any other on your Excalibur again. I discovered the same obvious benefits as you, and right away sent all my boo stings back to Don for the Whisker option. On Patti's Modded Vortex the whiskers have held up to over 200 shots so far, and thats with bolts moving out at 340fps- thats impressive. I found the whiskers,servings and excel string material far outlasting the factory fff offering. His strings certainly compliment our excals in numerous ways, enjoy yours :)
Keep shooting Pydpiper and post that buck when you get him.

Norm
BTW, I sure like that Fenix flashlight I recieved after reading your knowledgeble post on lights. It was the first mail package I opened ofter arriving home from my moose hunt. Its a good one for sure.
Thanks to you.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have just the original dacron string on my carved tip Vixen and shooting my logs, 560 grs. its real quiet. Just ask the 4 pt. Miss Vixen nailed this morning. Never knew she was there til that steelhead hit'em. :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

anyone have a pic of this cat whisker option?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Just got back home, way too windy to be shooting out there, but I am going to do it anyways.. I need to calibrate my scope to this new string before tomorrow morning :D .

Glad you like that light Norm, after seeing which one you bought I am ordering one for myself too.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Nice going Smoke! Hope there is a picture posted elsewhere..

Here is a photo of my new string, the picture does not do this outstanding string justice.
I can see why people would have the misconception that an addition to a string would hinder it's performance, but the important factor here is the fact that I know Boo has put a great deal of time into making sure that what he makes is not only well above standards, but adds little details that people like me love about custom made stuff. He knows strings, and this new string proves that.
Thanks for taking the time to make these things Boo, I couldn't begin to imagine the research and work you put into the balance of this string.. Not to mention is looks great!

WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

smokepolehall wrote:I have just the original dacron string on my carved tip Vixen and shooting my logs, 560 grs. its real quiet. Just ask the 4 pt. Miss Vixen nailed this morning. Never knew she was there til that steelhead hit'em. :D

Mike, you'd be flat out amazed at how much less noise there is when cat whiskers are served on the string at the right place.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My Db meter is not going to work for this application, it is made to measure a continuous noise.

I ran a pile more arrows through it again today just for fun and to watch for any creep, so far so good. It feels very peculiar shooting a crossbow that doesn't sound like a minor explosion every time I shoot it.

Thanks for the Pm's guys, I didn't realize so many of you are shooting this combination..
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Pydpiper,
Have you filled the rail yet?
A neat little one I learned from Bill T. in 1992.
Does help some as well.

Norm
Gone hunting till Monday :) :) :)
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
TYE

Post by TYE »

enormous wrote:Pydpiper,
Have you filled the rail yet?
A neat little one I learned from Bill T. in 1992.
Does help some as well.

Norm
Gone hunting till Monday :) :) :)
How do you fill the rail? and does it really make much of a difference?
Normous

Post by Normous »

Tye,
Look at "Greywolfs" posts. He has used expandable foam and regular foam.
My first had insulation stuffed into the rails, then wax sealed.
It helps in absorbing vibration and somewhat dulling that "twang" sound.

Norm
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

My Exomax sounds like a clap of thunder.

Of course, the deer who heard the thunder dropped like they'd been hit by lightning ... after about 50 yards! :wink:
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I can see how there could eventually be wear on the whiskers, it only makes sense.. I just can't bring myself into worrying about tomorrow when I have so much on my plate today..
I practice enough that any POI changes will become evident and easily fixable. I always know my crossbow is going to be consistent, but I never expect it, regardless of what is or isn't connected to it.

I love to hear of people past experiences, it is how I learn, but it is important to remember that we are at a very advanced time of materials, craftsmanship and the combination of both.
WMU 91
Boo string
TNhunterKMC

Post by TNhunterKMC »

What is the second smaller thing served onto the string? Did you at one time have 2 pairs of whiskers on it?

Boo

Post by Boo »

TNHunter, that is enough cat whiskers to go around the string. Take note that the band of serving is pretty wide. There is very little of the cat Whiskers hanging out. I think that the wider serving puts more rubber in contact with the string is really what snubs a frequency of the string vibration.
I hope you try it and give some feedback on noise reduction and longevity for those other guys. One hint. Use Fast Flight or similar string material. FF likes to flatten out and not cut the string. Also ease up on the edges and serve really tight in the center. I have spent countless hours screwing around trying to get the whole thing right.
I appreciate anyone's interest in going forward in this sport rather than poohooing it (for lack of better words). If we try different things we may actually improve what we have in our hands. If we look at things with a closed mind we will never better ourselves and our equipment.
Last edited by Boo on Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes