How much, or little, gear do you take with you?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

How much, or little, gear do you take with you?

Post by DuckHunt »

At the beginning of bow season I need a backpack to take all of my essentials. By December everything I need leaves the house in my coat pockets.

Is that just me?

DuckHunt
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Gloves, headnet, knife, rangefinder, bino's, bugspray, flashlight.

I try to travel light.

I hunt from my house though and walk to and from my hunting grounds so I can always come back for the quad and ropes and bigger flashlights.
Arkbow

What I carry;

Post by Arkbow »

Really depends on how far I paln to travel; if away rom home, to much to mention; if I hunt behind my house, bow, bino's, ground blind and lunch;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
wabi

Post by wabi »

Crossbow and arrows almost every trip. :oops: Yes, I have made it a few steps before I went back to get the quiver. :lol:
I carry a pocketknife always, and have gutted a few deer with it.
Sometimes I remember the flashlight, sometimes I enjoy a stroll in the dark. :shock:
I usually carry a cell phone with me, but have learned to turn it off after a few "wrong number" calls interrupted hunts.
Luckily I hunt land I'm very familiar with, and can keep all the essentials in my truck. My normal procedure is to carry only the few basics I need for the hunt, then if I arrow a deer I can go back to the truck to get what I'll need while giving the deer plenty of time to expire.
wabi
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I try to keep it to a minimum . Water , snack , flashlight , extra sweater ( if it ever get cold again )knife and cell phone . The KIS system seems to work .
jay73

Post by jay73 »

I hunt behind the house as well, so I take very little. Always a knife, flashlight and a 2-way radio, if my wife's going to be home.

Jay
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Weapon, knife, small flashlight, toilet paper (for marking trail and, well, you know), and shooting stick.
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am a firm believer in the saying "those prepared for an emergency seldom experience one".

I carry a full backpack, emergency shelter, several flashlights, extra batteries in waterproof container, small roll of fishing line, hooks, first aid kit, binocs, length of 500lb para cord, water, high protene snacks, 2 lighters, little container of stuff to burn, 2 knives, water purification pills, rangefinder, extra clothes, phone, 2-way radio, trail tape, TP, spare bow parts, emergency fire making equipment and if I looked there would be more I'm sure..

Over prepared? Yes, I can see my house from my tree stand. :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I carry a backpack - water, apple, cheese, TP, compass, gloves, extra clothing according to weather, licences, signed permission forms, twine, flashlight, bleat can, rattle bag, binocs, lighter, light stick (for marking in the dark), trail marker tape, cell phone, hot hands pocket heaters (although it looks like I won't need those this year!) :?, folding chair tucked into one of the bottle holders on the outside and strapped on. Last year I also carried a paperback copy of Dobson's "Parenting is not for Cowards" for those days when nothing was moving. :lol:

In my pockets: grunt tube, fox 40 whistle, chapstick, more TP, cocking aid. Knife on belt.

If I'm setting up, I'll carry the pack with the blind over my regular pack, I tuck the decoy into that pack as well. Once I'm set up I'll often leave the stool and decoy in the blind instead of packing it out every time.
Last edited by VixChix on Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I take Miss Vixen & rope cocker 4 arrows in quiver, pocket knife, bug spray until they go away. Headnet and gloves, camera, billfold with lic. & my cell phone just in case i need help. I hunt within 1/4 mile of house.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I try to take only the essentials, but I film my hunts which adds a ton of gear.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Man, I've got this old billfold I've had and used continuously for 17 years :shock: ... it's made of Cordura nylon (ballistic cloth) ... the stuff wears like iron ... and it doesn't get to stinking like sweat, as leather billfolds do. You can even wash it.

Even so, I see your point, Bob. I leave most of that stuff in the house or in the truck (haven't hunted off the farm in five years!). :D

Hope no nefarious character sees you hide your keys some day!
Grizz
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

COPENHAGEN, TOILET PAPER, WATER,,,,,,, I can Survive :shock: