Cold Weather and crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

A.W

Post by A.W »

Nothing's infallible. Throw a piece of plastic on it when sitting in the open in the snow.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
A.W

Post by A.W »

A.W wrote:Nothing's infallible. Throw a piece of plastic on it when sitting in the open in the snow.
Or a rag. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
hawg hunter

bad weather shooting

Post by hawg hunter »

Ive been taught to never use WD40 on any trigger. This product will leave a build up like varnish on sear sufaces and they will not engage. They also become stiff in extreme cold . This is what I have been taught about the above mentioned product.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

They actually recommend WD40 by name in the Excaliburt DVD...or booklet, can't remember which.
wabi

Post by wabi »

If I've had my Phoenix exposed to rain or snow I use compressed air to blow the moisture off of it, then I spray WD-40 (It does stand for water displacement) into the trigger area and blow out the excess with air. I have found WD-40 to be great for what it's name implies - displacing moisture! I also use it in my muzzleloader barrels after cleaning with water. The fact that I don't leave it there, but blow it out with compressed air may be why I've never had any problem with using it. After I'm sure things are clean & dry I lube moving parts with a spray of quality lubricant such as RemOil. The exterior surfaces of the Phoenix get a wipe with my sheepskin pad which is saturated with my homemade mix of beeswax & neetsfoot oil. This, I've found is a good moisture inhibitor, and also serves as a rail lube to some degree. I also keep my string waxed, and the serving well waxed - but no buildup of excess wax!
I might add that I also carry an extra large, heavy duty (industrial grade) trash bag that will completely cover my crossbow.It takes up little space in my hunting vest, and if I get caught in a real downpour I simply cover the crossbow as the odds of needing to shoot in such a downpour are slim.
wabi
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

It never snows in the south anymore :cry:

Now watch Us get that cold winter now that I said this :P
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Not so, DoDFire ...

We had 1/4" last year ... and almost that much the year before! :shock:
Grizz