Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fred

Equinox

Post by Fred »

Who shoots an Equinox or any of the other 225 lb. bows? How often do you have to change strings or reserve? Are they substantialy louder than say a 200lb. draw? Do you have a problem with pass throughs on your practice targets? I 've been told by a gentleman that I'm sure knows what he's talking about that even though I have a wood stove cutting down 3 trees on the away side of a deer is neither required or desired Ha! Last but not least if you were to do it over would you go with the 225 again? All the best Fred
chessy

Post by chessy »

i rember reading this along time ago......

the only differnce between the crossbow line up is how much of the arow you pull out of the dirt from pass thru....

i like my equonox..... but i liked my exomag as well.... i fell the need for speed... and heck im suporting a canadain company...
OwnerITO

Post by OwnerITO »

I believe sumner or crazyfarmer did a test and he shot 431? bolts before he had to reserve. You can find the post on it here within the site. As for noise, I think that before the deer hears a noise from the Equinox the bolt is already in the ground and the deer is on its way to its death. As far as pass throughs on targets, I bought a Bowhunter Delta Shotblocker and my friend fired his Exomax at it at 10 yds (with fixed blade broad heads)and the target stopped it dead. I was happy about that. The Exomax and the Equinox do offer less trajectory so if you ever have to "thread the needle" you can be more comfortable in your shot. All in all, I bought the Phoenix and I am more than happy with my choice. It is fast, will kill anything in North America and my serving will last a long, long time. Plus it is more compact. If you are worried about noise, Greywolf has posted quite a bit of info on here that deals with noise dampening your crossbow. Good luck!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I shoot the Exomax. Serving wear is reasonable. It is loud, but I don't think it's a problem. You need a target designed for crossbows.

Remember ... with heavier bows, you can use heavier arrows ... at the same speeds ... a definite advantage.

It's mostly a matter of whether you want to cock it or not. :D
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Fred . . .here is what you do . . .choose your bow by going to the store and just picking them up. See which one feels the best to you. That's the one you want. If it's an Excalibur, then it will shoot great. Then never shoot anything else. :)

Seriously, I love the Exomax. I like being able to shoot a very heavy bolt over 300 FPS. Stability and speed. I also like shooting the lite bolts at over 350 FPS . . .smoking! :twisted: The Exomax is the only crossbow I've ever shot. The Exomax is a little heavier . . .but if you are just sitting in a blind or in a tree, who cares. I do a lot of still hunting and stalking and have no issues with the weight, but I'm in pretty good shape.

The strings last a long time, you'll probably change it for another color before you wear it out. The serving wear depends on the serving material. The factory servings do not last very long. However, the Halo serving material will last well over 400 shots, it's awesome. Have Boo make you one of his custom strings.

The cocking is relatively easy with the cocking aid and it's best to use the aid for accuracy reasons anyway. I actually like the "workout" I get when target practicing with the Max.

Noise . . .well, I've been told the Exomax is louder, but, I have not shot other bows. Come to think of it . . .I haven't heard the other bows shot either. Everyone I know either has a Exomax or some other brand of bow. However, I put a dampener system on my bow and I think it's fairly quiet. I shot a deer last year(before I added the dampener) and the deer with it didn't even jump. I was 25 yards away. I don't believe the noise to be a big issue. Do a search on "dampener system" and pull up the thread I started . . .it's easy to add the dampener and it helps with a lot of "issues".

Hope this helps . . .by the way . . .I'm headed out in the a.m. for a three day hunt in Virginia. I'm thinking about shooting a stump and see if the deer can figure out where I am . . .if the opportunity comes up, then I'll let you know what happens.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I don't think the noise is an issue when deer hunting ... I believe they'll react to the arrow noise as quick as they do to the bow firing.
Grizz