cocking in a tree stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

knobby

cocking in a tree stand

Post by knobby »

I have not tried this yet with my Exocet.

I have a Summit Viper and an Equalizer stand. Both of these stands are sit n stand type climbers with the bar that completely surrounds you.

I can't picture it being easy to cock a xbow in these....what am I in for?
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I removed my shooting rest and have to turn the X bow sideways to it. I suggest you practice a few times and make sure you have your harness on - safety first!

F
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

:lol: ,,, I missed the first shot that I ever took with a Xbow,,,, I hunt out of a Summit Viper with the wrap around bar,,,, The deer jumped just as I was squeez'n the trigger,I think she smelled me,, Anyways I missed and she only went 20 yards,,, I stuck the Xbow over the rail and run my foot through the stirrup then I cocked it by hand,,,,, That's right BY HAND, my rope cocker was in my cargo pocket and I was gonna do what I "had" to do,,,,,, I can tell you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN,,,
Last edited by DoDFire on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I read on the forum here that a member anchors a hook above him in the tree to hang the stirup on, then pulls down to cock. Good luck.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991,
I have used the method of a screw-in step above the stand and hooking the stirrup on it. It works - but you do have to weigh more than the poundage of the crossbow. If you weigh 150# and try to cock an Exocet 200 you will end up doing "chin-ups" on the string and not get it cocked. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Not sure if a rope cocking aid would cut the weight required in half or not?
Never tried the rope, as I figured if I needed to cock it quickly I wouldn't have time to look fot it. I use a Phoenix, and barely had enough weight to get it cocked even in heavy clothes & boots.
wabi
Mike P

Re: cocking in a tree stand

Post by Mike P »

knobby wrote:
I have a Summit Viper and an Equalizer stand.

I would love to know what you think about your Equalizer climbing stand. I have been considering one now for a couple of years. Would you mind giving a quick review of what you think are both the good and bad associated with the stand?
knobby

Post by knobby »

wabi wrote:If you weigh 150# and try to cock an Exocet 200 you will end up doing "chin-ups" on the string
LMAO I can picture it.... a B&C whitetail standing broadside in the wide open at 20 yards....and all I can do is chin-ups

ya I am gunna have to figure out a method and practice

may be the prefect situation for a crankaroo?
knobby

Re: cocking in a tree stand

Post by knobby »

Mike P wrote:I would love to know what you think about your Equalizer climbing stand. I have been considering one now for a couple of years. Would you mind giving a quick review of what you think are both the good and bad associated with the stand?
I can't give much of a review since I just got it this summer and have not used it yet.

It seems like a very well built stand. My main concern right now is its size. I am not a thin person and it is a little narrower than my Viper. This probably isn't a concern if you use the standard seat that comes with it because you are sitting 'on top' of the rail.

If you use the sling style seat (which I plan to try) then you sit down between the side rails and the width can become an issue. I wear size 40 jeans right now and I think its gunna be a snug fit by the time I have on hunting clothes and a safety harness.

of course if you dont physically fit in it then you're probably pushing the stands weight limit anyway haha
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The cocking rope would still work for taking the poundage in half or you could put a seat belt on.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

hummmmmmm...I never tried to cock anything while in my treestand!!!!! :shock:
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

After you've just shot a deer it's a breeze. I have a 175# bow felt like 10# at the moment.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

with my old barnett thunderbolt i just put the butt against my stomach and cocked it but then again it was only 125 or 150lb draw. i dont think ill be trying that with my exomax :shock:

it was nice with that bow because i didnt have to stand to cock it but i dont think i have a choice with the exomax unless i use a crankeroo
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I cock my Exomax all the time in every stand I hunt in. I prefer to cock it in advance of climbing the tree, but it is easy in a stand. Most stands with a shooting rail don't offer enough room to get the crossbow down to your feet. Just hand the crossbow over the side and bring the stock up butt first into your stand. Of course once you cock it you will probably have to reach over the outside to get it back up on top of your stand. I actually did this a week ago with deer in range after goofing up the first shot. I was able to get it cocked and goof up a second shot just as well. :)
knobby

Post by knobby »

I just went and watched the video of the crankaroo

looks easy

but too noisy for a still morning/evening in the stand....every deer within 200 yards would hear it ratcheting

they need a silent version

I though of turning the top/seat section to the side slightly....might give ya more room to place the stirrup on the platform and cock like normal.
the elf

noisy crankeroo

Post by the elf »

Hi Knobby-----If you place one finger of your other hand lightly on the little ratchet lever as you are cranking-----there is almost no noise--works very well------hope this helps--------Elf.