cocking in a tree stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I cock my Exomax all the time in every stand I hunt in. I prefer to cock it in advance of climbing the tree, but it is easy in a stand. Most stands with a shooting rail don't offer enough room to get the crossbow down to your feet. Just hand the crossbow over the side and bring the stock up butt first into your stand. Of course once you cock it you will probably have to reach over the outside to get it back up on top of your stand. I actually did this a week ago with deer in range after goofing up the first shot. I was able to get it cocked and goof up a second shot just as well. :)
knobby

Post by knobby »

I just went and watched the video of the crankaroo

looks easy

but too noisy for a still morning/evening in the stand....every deer within 200 yards would hear it ratcheting

they need a silent version

I though of turning the top/seat section to the side slightly....might give ya more room to place the stirrup on the platform and cock like normal.
the elf

noisy crankeroo

Post by the elf »

Hi Knobby-----If you place one finger of your other hand lightly on the little ratchet lever as you are cranking-----there is almost no noise--works very well------hope this helps--------Elf.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

If you must cock it in the stand PLEASE be safe .A few years ago I let a person hunt out of one of my lower stands ,it was only maybe 6-8 feet off the ground .He decided to not wear his harness because it was such a low stand in a cedar tree .Long story short ,he shot a deer then proceded to try and cock the bow .He slipped and catapulted himself and bow out of the tree ,lucky enough he cleaned all the branches off .He only ended up with a cracked back .Moral of the story wear a belt at all times and cock carefully .
knobby

Post by knobby »

good ideas

thx !

maybe I still order one
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

I have an older climbing stand with no rail out in front so with a little maneuvering it is pretty easy even though the base of the stand is quite small.

One thing I did notice with practicing loading and shooting though - when I used the rope cocker and my LEFT foot I consistantly shot as much as 4 - 5 inches off from where I shot when loading with my RIGHT foot. I noticed that even though I was careful to draw the cocker equally when using my left side it made a definite and reproduceable difference - still tight groups just 4 - 5 inches off from the right side.

Wayne
rattler1

Post by rattler1 »

I had something like that happen to me. I use a Lone Wolf climber that I can fold down the rail to cock the bow and position it up to rest the Vortex on when shooting or down to shoot a recurve out of it. But I was in such a hurry to climb before daylight that I left my fanny pack on the ground under the treestand after adding my buck in rut gel to a scrape. My rope cocker is in the pack and I forgot to cock the xbow. So I tied my haul up string to a bolt and after ten tries hook the pack with my Slick trick only to watch the bolt slip through over the vains and fall to the ground. I tie a bigger knot to my 2nd bolt and 15 minutes after daylight I finally get them both up in the stand. I was so worn out I had a heck of a time cocking the Vortex. Never seen a thing that morning. But that beats climbing 25 feet and forgeting to tie your xbow on the haul up line. I've done that too.