Getting a Bear to move on

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Andre Leblanc

Getting a Bear to move on

Post by Andre Leblanc »

Evening folks,
Well, I've been dropping some apples for the past three weeks near a trail that I have my ground blind set to go. The trail is very active with deer going up to a ridge from the lower bedding area. Today we noticed that a bear has come in leaving to business cards (piles) after taking some of the apples. Having little experience with this, I could use some advice. I have two weeks before I head out to hunt. I would like to salvage the blind location. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Andre
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I have never tried this, but I heard once upon a time that you could stop a bear from coming to an area by "knocking him out". The idea was, take a can of ether (Qucik Start from Candian Tire), coat it in peanut butter, and when the bear finds it and bites it it will make him pass out. When he wakes up he will be confused and not want to go back to that spot.

Like I said, I heard this from an older hunter and have never seen it done, but I guess it could work.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The bear may decide to tear up your ground blind. I've heard, but never tried, putting small bells on it will discourage them messing w/ it. Worth a try, imho.
"Eze 18:21"
Long Trang

Post by Long Trang »

Just pop him and be done with it. :twisted:
Andre Leblanc

Post by Andre Leblanc »

So would I be better off just not replennishing the apples til hunt season starts in two weeks? This should make the bear move on if there aren't any apples left for him.
The location is on a well used deer trail, they are still using the trail on a daily basis. Thoughts?

Andre