TUNE MY BOLT FLIGHT ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WPD4323

TUNE MY BOLT FLIGHT ?

Post by WPD4323 »

FIRST OFF I'M NEW TO CROSSBOWS AND THIS SIGHT, PLEASE BEAR WITH MY QUESTIONS. I JUST BOUGHT A VORTEX/LUMIZONE.

MY BOLTS ARE IMPACTING NOCK LEFT AT ALL DISTANCES, GOLD TIP LASER II, 110 BRASS INSERTS, ALIMINUM NOCKS, 4" VANE AND BLASERS GIVING SAME RESULTS. 2219 ALUMINUM BOLTS SAME RESULTS.
NO TWIST IN STRING, ALL MOUNTS ARE TIGHT. CHEEK WELD CONSISTANT, BROAD HEAD FLIGHT AND FIELD TIPS GIVE SAME NOCK LEFT IMPACT. DO NOT IMAPACT AT SAME POINT OF AIM. HOW DO I TUNE FOR THIS LEFT NOCK IMPACT?
THANKS
BUCKSHOT

Question

Post by BUCKSHOT »

First of all welcome to the Forum. I am sure you will get a few answers and suggestions from the guys, they know there stuff.

I would like to ask a couple of questions before I try to answer your question.
Do you have Dissipator Bars/pads on your limbs?
Do you know your bolts Front of Center ballance point?
If you don't know your FOC then we should be able to figure it out if you tell us your bolt length to go with the other info.

Just a quick guess here, sounds like the back of your arrow is trying to over run the front. That would be FOC related.

Have a good day.
Enjoy the Harvest!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'm shooting same rig with 100 gr Slick Trick Mags and 2" Blazers. The 2" vanes made my factory 5" vaned bolts into DARTS. Get absolutely super accuracy and true flight. Are you getting these results with field tips or broadheads? The larger broadheads tend to steer the bolt IMO. Went to 100 gr Slick Trick Magnums for that reason and was not disappointed. Check to see if bolts holding limbs are tightened equally. DB distance to limbs. Are you using rope cocker? If not make sure you are not loading string to one side. Could try some string twist to see if it makes a differece. Be sure to wax your string and lube the deck so you don't get drag on string/bolt.
The FOC of the bolt shouldn't be an issue with your set up. I'd focus on uniformity of limb issues.
WPD4323

Post by WPD4323 »

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT, IT HELPS ALOT. FIELD POINTS AND BROADHEADS ARE BOTH IMPACTING, NOCK LEFT. RANGES VARI FROM 30' TO 40YRDS. SHOOTING INTO A REINHART MULTI SPOT ,18 SPOT TARGET.
ALL BOLTS ARE 20".
THE GT LASERII BOLTS WITH VANES, 100GR SLICK TRICKS OR FIELD POINTS. 411.6 GR AVERAGE. 3, LASERII, BLASER/ST MAG, 404.1 AND 404.3GR
THE EXCAL, GOLD TIP LAZERII OR THE ALUM. 2219 ARE ALL THE SAME NOCK LEFT.
I'VE TRIED 100GR S/T, STINGERS, STEELFORCE, MUZZY, RAGE 2B,
PRETTY MUCH ANY BH I HAVE I'VE TRIED, ALL SHOOT PRETTY GOOD, SLICK TRICKS AND STINGERS HAVE MY CONFIDENCE AS I'VE SHOT THEM W/ MY COMPOUND. ST SEEM TO GROUP BEST WITH THE XBOW.
THE TARGET WAS CLAMPED DOWN, I THOUGHT THE SAME THING, IS IT MOVING. IT CAN'T.
I'VE GOT 3 OF THE LAZERII WITH BAZERS/100GR S/T WHICH ARE IMPACTING CONSISTANT AS ALL SEEM TO BE, OTHER THAN THE POINT OF IMPACT CHANGING BETWEEN BOLT COMBO'S, WHICH I EXPECT AS NORMAL.
DISAPATOR BARS MEASURE THE SAME LEFT. RUBBER SEEMS TO HAVE EQUAL COMPRESSION W/ STRING DOWN
ANY IDEAS ON HOW FAST THE BOLTS MIGHT BE FOR THE SPEED RING ON THE SCOPE? IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY ITS THE 30-40-50 POA/POI YOU TRY TO MATCH UP?
THANKS
ANDY
kevin

Post by kevin »

the only accuracy problems I've ever seen that you describe was a friend not being able to kock his new Phoenix by hand properly. His left arm seems very week.

He used my rope Kocker and solved his problem.
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
WPD4323

ROPE COCKER USED

Post by WPD4323 »

USING THE EXCAL COCKING ROPE, MARKED BOW STRING FOR CENTER /STRING DOWN AND COCKED W/SHARPIE MARKER SO I CAN SEE THAT IT'S CENTERED AT A GLANCE. I TOOK PADS OFF FOR A COUPLE SHOTS TO SEE IF IT MATTERED, IT DIDN'T. I'VE BEEN SETTING EXCAL IN AN X BAG TO SHOOT FROM BENCH JUST IN CASE I WAS DROPPING OR CANTING IN FORM, DOESN'T SHOW ANY CHANGE. EVEN SET UP A SMALL LEVEL PRE-SHOT TO SEE THAT ALL WAS SQUARE TO THE WORLD.
WOULD OR IS SWITCHING LIMBS LEFT TO RIGHT A VIABLE OPTION? I GUESS IF IT SHOT NOCK RIGHT I'D KNOW.
DOES ANYONE MAKE A LIGHTED NOCK FOR CARBON BOLTS? DARN THINGS ARE TOO QUICK TO SEE ARROW FLIGHT.
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND SUGGESTIONS, STILL STUMPED.